How do these “high end” sps sellers get away with this!

503reefland

4 hours ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

We do the best we can. Kinda of a cheap shot at lfs stores if u ask me. 

Not at all. I like seeing the shiny colors in stores; it’s beautiful. But my own tank lights are not the same as the ultra blue LEDs in stores, nor do I want them to be. I like my T5s, and if flashing white light on corals gives me a better view of the colors I’ll see at home, I don’t think that should offend anyone. 

• Like 1

I do get a lot of request for picture under 10k-12k lighting.

Now let me explain my point about this request. Who has spectrum analizer readily to measure the light spectrum for taking picture or even measure spectrum in a personal tank.

Some also would say 10k-12k means a little more white. But again it is subjective to each own. Your little more white may not be the same as my little more white.

Do you follow what I am saying? It is very difficult request to follow because no one can be certain what is picture under white lighting or under 10k-12k mean.

Edited by goldenbasketreef
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, goldenbasketreef said:

I do get a lot of request for picture under 10k-12k lighting.

Now let me explain my point about this request. Who has spectrum analizer readily to measure the light spectrum for taking picture or even measure spectrum in a personal tank.

Some also would say 10k-12k means a little more white. But again it is subjective to each own. Your little more white may not be the same as my little more white.

Do you follow what I am saying? It is very difficult request to follow because no one can be certain what is picture under white lighting or under 10k-12k mean.

Yeah - this is kind of impractical in today's lighting environment.  It might have "meant" something back in the day when the standards were single bulb MH fixtures where the lamps at least had a stated temperature and everyone knew what to expect from a radium bulb for instance.

I have found our local fish (coral) stores to be pretty accommodating about adjusting parameters temporarily in the shop to try and simulate full spectrum but there is a limit to what they can realistically do given all the variables.

All that said, the post photo saturation manipulation is kind of irritating and one reason I have stayed away from online sales/auctions except from trusted (local) sources.  But then again... I am kind of risk averse in that regard.

The blatant photoshop is disgusting. Especially in that Jason fox photo. I would be pissed if that's what showed up at my house compared to what was shown in the photo. Its basically theft in my eyes. That's why I try to support my lfs when I buy stuff. That or other members lol. I like to be able to see the piece in person.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PowderBlue said:

The blatant photoshop is disgusting. Especially in that Jason fox photo. I would be pissed if that's what showed up at my house compared to what was shown in the photo. Its basically theft in my eyes. That's why I try to support my lfs when I buy stuff. That or other members lol. I like to be able to see the piece in person.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Support your local coral farmer! Lol

• Like 2

bottom line, cuttlefish fish has better prices AND you can see the corals first hand AND your frag doesnt sit in a cold black box for an entire day.

online prices are a joke. yeah. if you lived in north Dakota you don't have much choice but we live in portland so....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

bottom line, cuttlefish fish has better prices AND you can see the corals first hand AND your frag doesnt sit in a cold black box for an entire day.

online prices are a joke. yeah. if you lived in north Dakota you don't have much choice but we live in portland so....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This!

2 hours ago, goldenbasketreef said:

Picture of the BigR Freak Nasty Monti under royal blue at my tank can be check out in person

So without photoshop it is that bright

IMG_2056.jpg

I love mine no photochop needed!👍🏻 Very hardy peice i almost lost it a few months ago cause i had moved it up a bit and didnt take well to more light. Bounced back in a week! (Shitty i phone pic) much more vibrant orange than the pic shows the green polys are crazy

A15D1F83-CA1F-4D4E-B220-D010DDF878B7.jpeg

Edited by 503reefland