Jump to content
503reefland

How do these “high end” sps sellers get away with this!

Recommended Posts

I saw this monti posted by bigR and i have the same peice minus the extremely overly saturated picture... like ultra ultra maxed out saturation. Heres mine and heres said picture....like really? I made mine look identical almost but ran out of saturation...lol 

F986473B-4E43-4C1E-98A0-6993FCCDCEF9.jpeg

E1772EE7-37C1-49E9-9814-3BB73CB9CB4C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If i paid 300 for that peice unkowingly for any peice this badly photochopped id be pissed. The peice is no doubt worth it imo it disbt need to be photochopped is all... thoughts?

Edited by 503reefland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to bother me too and when I first signed on here , I bought an acan from an online store and was disappointed when I saw it in person. I felt ripped off. The seller said it was different due to variables in lighting.  Now I just know how to turn off the saturation mentally lol. As far as why online vendors do this- the answer is obvious. They sell more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But this monti is that nice the pic i posted of mine is on my iphone camera no editing and like 16k lol mike bigr is a pretty reputable seller seems stupid.... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 503reefland said:

But this monti is that nice the pic i posted of mine is on my iphone camera no editing and like 16k lol mike bigr is a pretty reputable seller seems stupid.... lol

I used to think the same thing but the reality is they get more views and more comments and ultimately more sales and I think that most people who buy high end simply get used to the over saturated pictures. I’m not saying I agree. I personally appreciate more true to life pictures. I also agree it can be deceptive but when you know that a frag plug is white and not deep bright purple at least it’s easy to spot an overly saturated picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

I used to think the same thing but the reality is they get more views and more comments and ultimately more sales and I think that most people who buy high end simply get used to the over saturated pictures. I’m not saying I agree. I personally appreciate more true to life pictures. I also agree it can be deceptive but when you know that a frag plug is white and not deep bright purple at least it’s easy to spot an overly saturated picture.

Yeah i get what your saying but if a peice is nice you can capture it with butchering the pictures wheather its under all blue 20k, 18k, 16k ect

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue substrate, plugs, etc. are easy giveaways. Lower the image saturation and increase the amount of yellow (opposite of blue) in shadows, midtones, and highlights, and you get this:

coral.jpg

 

May or may not be what your coral looks like, but I do this with all online images before buying anything, just to give myself an idea of what else it might look like. Even if the appearance is wrong, it at least gets my brain to see something different.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just look for distorted color its not the first time ive seen it just the fact that a pretty known and reputable seller is doing is what suprizes me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cornbred oversaturates their pictures like no other too. I've yet to receive any Cornbred pieces that are even 1/2 as impressive as they look in photos. I feel like oversaturated pictures make ordering corals more like gambling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have oversaturated photos for years and years, it will not change.  I always look st the frag plug or rack to see what color they are and go from there.  A lot more people run blue lighting and less daylight now a days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

They have oversaturated photos for years and years, it will not change.  I always look st the frag plug or rack to see what color they are and go from there.  A lot more people run blue lighting and less daylight now a days

Allowing the blue lighting to make the colors pop is different than the actual oversaturation I see so often when ordering corals online. Ive gotten $300 Cornbred acros directly from cb that were less impressive than some $20 pieces Ive gotten from Jeff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just support your LFS and you'll be alright!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jorge said:

Just support your LFS and you'll be alright!

Bring a waterproof white flashlight to your LFS, and you’ll be all right. ;)  Store tanks are much more blue than mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jorge said:

Just support your LFS and you'll be alright!

 

2 hours ago, Jorge said:

Just support your LFS and you'll be alright!

You know i do! lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that there are a million factors with that specific monti my main point is its nice enough theres no need to photo chop it.... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Online coral sales are tough. 

5 hours ago, Flashy Fins said:

Bring a waterproof white flashlight to your LFS, and you’ll be all right. ;)  Store tanks are much more blue than mine. 

We do the best we can. Kinda of a cheap shot at lfs stores if u ask me. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flashy Fins said:

Bring a waterproof white flashlight to your LFS, and you’ll be all right. ;)  Store tanks are much more blue than mine. 

I wouldn't keep corals under a flashlight lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

Online coral sales are tough. 

We do the best we can. Kinda of a cheap shot at lfs stores if u ask me. 

I agree.  Seeing a coral in person at your LFS, even if under excessive blue light, still gives you an idea of what a coral can look like in your tank under similar lighting.  The photos posted online can be overly saturated with photo editing software, and usually cannot look the same regardless of your lighting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cornbred oversaturates their pictures like no other too. I've yet to receive any Cornbred pieces that are even 1/2 as impressive as they look in photos. I feel like oversaturated pictures make ordering corals more like gambling.
people on R2R regularly talk about how much of a joke cornbred is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I agree.  Seeing a coral in person at your LFS, even if under excessive blue light, still gives you an idea of what a coral can look like in your tank under similar lighting.  The photos posted online can be overly saturated with photo editing software, and usually cannot look the same regardless of your lighting.

Yes i agree i perfer blues over whites thats not what my point was its the excessive photo-chopping.... btw @Jorge i have never bought online ;)

Edited by 503reefland
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless how the picture look, wanting to provide review need actual coral to compare otherwise you are comparing

apple to orange then the argument will be mute. If you never bought the corals in question then you don't have a right to say good or bad just my 2 cents.

I actually have seen BigR monti in person at show and it is look like that under deeper royal blue ligthing or under kessil 360WE

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jorge said:

I wouldn't keep corals under a flashlight lol

I wouldn't keep coral under white only light either, so I don't get the point of asking for picture under white light when most reef tank not white light dominant

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, goldenbasketreef said:

Regardless how the picture look, wanting to provide review need actual coral to compare otherwise you are comparing

apple to orange then the argument will be mute. If you never bought the corals in question then you don't have a right to say good or bad just my 2 cents.

I actually have seen BigR monti in person at show and it is look like that under deeper royal blue ligthing or under kessil 360WE

 

 

Once again this wasnt posted to say the specific monti isnt badass. I actually have it and my point was why do some hack job over saturated edit on a picture of a peice that is beautiful under blues and whites. Personally i dont understand the “12k picture police” saying that corals are misrepresented shot under a blue dominant spectrum that is imo rediculous. Didnt intend this to turn into a r2r Walt disney type debate thead. 😏🤦🏻‍♂️ And i agree i wouldnt recomend keeping corals under a white flash light either.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×