How do these “high end” sps sellers get away with this!

503reefland

I saw this monti posted by bigR and i have the same peice minus the extremely overly saturated picture... like ultra ultra maxed out saturation. Heres mine and heres said picture....like really? I made mine look identical almost but ran out of saturation...lol 

F986473B-4E43-4C1E-98A0-6993FCCDCEF9.jpeg

E1772EE7-37C1-49E9-9814-3BB73CB9CB4C.jpeg

It used to bother me too and when I first signed on here , I bought an acan from an online store and was disappointed when I saw it in person. I felt ripped off. The seller said it was different due to variables in lighting.  Now I just know how to turn off the saturation mentally lol. As far as why online vendors do this- the answer is obvious. They sell more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 503reefland said:

But this monti is that nice the pic i posted of mine is on my iphone camera no editing and like 16k lol mike bigr is a pretty reputable seller seems stupid.... lol

I used to think the same thing but the reality is they get more views and more comments and ultimately more sales and I think that most people who buy high end simply get used to the over saturated pictures. I’m not saying I agree. I personally appreciate more true to life pictures. I also agree it can be deceptive but when you know that a frag plug is white and not deep bright purple at least it’s easy to spot an overly saturated picture.

51 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

I used to think the same thing but the reality is they get more views and more comments and ultimately more sales and I think that most people who buy high end simply get used to the over saturated pictures. I’m not saying I agree. I personally appreciate more true to life pictures. I also agree it can be deceptive but when you know that a frag plug is white and not deep bright purple at least it’s easy to spot an overly saturated picture.

Yeah i get what your saying but if a peice is nice you can capture it with butchering the pictures wheather its under all blue 20k, 18k, 16k ect

• Like 1

Blue substrate, plugs, etc. are easy giveaways. Lower the image saturation and increase the amount of yellow (opposite of blue) in shadows, midtones, and highlights, and you get this:

coral.jpg

May or may not be what your coral looks like, but I do this with all online images before buying anything, just to give myself an idea of what else it might look like. Even if the appearance is wrong, it at least gets my brain to see something different.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

They have oversaturated photos for years and years, it will not change.  I always look st the frag plug or rack to see what color they are and go from there.  A lot more people run blue lighting and less daylight now a days

Allowing the blue lighting to make the colors pop is different than the actual oversaturation I see so often when ordering corals online. Ive gotten $300 Cornbred acros directly from cb that were less impressive than some $20 pieces Ive gotten from Jeff. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

Online coral sales are tough. 

We do the best we can. Kinda of a cheap shot at lfs stores if u ask me. 

I agree.  Seeing a coral in person at your LFS, even if under excessive blue light, still gives you an idea of what a coral can look like in your tank under similar lighting.  The photos posted online can be overly saturated with photo editing software, and usually cannot look the same regardless of your lighting.

• Like 2

Cornbred oversaturates their pictures like no other too. I've yet to receive any Cornbred pieces that are even 1/2 as impressive as they look in photos. I feel like oversaturated pictures make ordering corals more like gambling.
people on R2R regularly talk about how much of a joke cornbred is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I agree.  Seeing a coral in person at your LFS, even if under excessive blue light, still gives you an idea of what a coral can look like in your tank under similar lighting.  The photos posted online can be overly saturated with photo editing software, and usually cannot look the same regardless of your lighting.

Yes i agree i perfer blues over whites thats not what my point was its the excessive photo-chopping.... btw @Jorge i have never bought online ;)

Edited by 503reefland
  • Like 1

Regardless how the picture look, wanting to provide review need actual coral to compare otherwise you are comparing

apple to orange then the argument will be mute. If you never bought the corals in question then you don't have a right to say good or bad just my 2 cents.

I actually have seen BigR monti in person at show and it is look like that under deeper royal blue ligthing or under kessil 360WE

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, goldenbasketreef said:

Regardless how the picture look, wanting to provide review need actual coral to compare otherwise you are comparing

apple to orange then the argument will be mute. If you never bought the corals in question then you don't have a right to say good or bad just my 2 cents.

I actually have seen BigR monti in person at show and it is look like that under deeper royal blue ligthing or under kessil 360WE

Once again this wasnt posted to say the specific monti isnt badass. I actually have it and my point was why do some hack job over saturated edit on a picture of a peice that is beautiful under blues and whites. Personally i dont understand the “12k picture police” saying that corals are misrepresented shot under a blue dominant spectrum that is imo rediculous. Didnt intend this to turn into a r2r Walt disney type debate thead. 😏🤦🏻‍♂️ And i agree i wouldnt recomend keeping corals under a white flash light either.....