Quarantine tank

SuncrestReef

I finally set up a quarantine tank.  When I first set up my Reefer XL 425 about 6 months ago, I stocked it quickly with several fish and a cleanup crew, but I didn't bother quarantining anything because there wasn't that much in the tank at risk.  Now, months later and 45+ corals later with everything healthy, I'm more paranoid that anything new could screw things up.  

I picked up a basic 20 gallon long tank, lid, LED light, HOB filter and heater.  I have an 8" block of MarinePure that's been in my sump for several months that I'll place in the QT for a bacteria population, and I'll add a few PVC elbows for hiding places.  This week I plan to get a couple more fish to round out my collection and put them into QT.  In particular, I'm looking forward to getting a kole tang to tackle my green wire algae after going through quarantine.  I'll also use the QT for future corals.

This is something I've been meaning to do for some time, so it feels like a sense of relief to finally set it up.

IMG_4187.jpg

(it's funny how the power strip appears to be underwater in this shot, but it's actually behind the tank)

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trailermann said:

Any plans to also do a QT for corals?

I'm only planning to add about 2 more fish to my tank, so this QT will only be used for a month for these fish.  After that, any new corals can use the same quarantine tank.  Now that I have around 45 corals, I think it's time to take a break and let my existing collection start growing out before I add any new ones, so I don't see any immediate need for a separate coral QT.

• Like 1

You may wanna ret think that with using same tank to qt corals and fish. You can do it but depends how you do it  if you plan on using copper or anything like it in the tank it will not bode well for corals.  It’s nearly impossible to totally get rid of it once you have introduced it the tank.  You may plan on using Tsnk transfer or something else but if it’s copper I would not use the same tank 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

You should be fine after copper treatment to use for inverts and corals.  Just clean it out well.   The copper tainted tank is largely an aquarium myth hold over. 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reusing-a-tank-after-copper-treatment.282827/

Interesting for sure  I’ve always been under impression copper could be absorbed in the seams  def I would not use anything porous that ginger cannnot wipe clean

it was a really common belief for quite some time but silicone is hydrophobic and pretty chemically neutral when cured so as others have said, as long as you wipe it down you will be fine.

you could always throw a bag of cuprizorb in there is you were worried about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1