New aquarium

The Boys and Girls Club would to thank everyone who donated at the last Fragfest for their new aquarium. It is now located in their new Teen area. The kids are very excited to be able to vote on some of the fish. Right now it is cycling. They would love you to support this year's Fragfest also. Oct 27th.

20180925_183201.jpg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, albertareef said:

Awesome!  Thanks for the update - glad to see the tank up and cycling thanks to all the Fragfest participants and Jim’s hard work. I think there were at least a couple other members who contributed time and effort as well. Well done all!

Yes. I would like to thank Scott for excellent work on the canopy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good my friends, looking good! It is really nice to have such experienced enthusiast be so generous with their time, you guys are awesome. I see a killer reef tank on the horizon.

And I second PDXMonkey in offering a coral or two when it comes time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

That is fantastic!  Very generous and thoughtful.  I think the ongoing care/ maintenance can be one of those things that can get overlooked so really nice to see a vendor contribute beyond the startup.  Thanks Rod!

So true ! I think many of us try to fool ourselves on the cost .

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Yeah - no kidding.  That typically works out so well...

A lit bit of denial goes a long way in having a great tank and besides it’s cheaper , legal, and healthier than some other addictions!😀

Hmmmm is there such thing as a “healthy addiction “ 🤔 or is that like saying “jumbo shrimp”

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Tank is coming along! Kids got their first fish yesterday, a red firefish they voted for (beating out other choices of a Banggai cardinal and pearly jawfish). The plan was to take a photo of the fish in the tank, but of course he hid under a rock as soon as we dropped him in, so you’ll just have to imagine. :fish:

Thanks for the deal on the fish & hermits, @CuttleFishandCoral. The kids are ready for their next voted upon fish when you get an Aurora goby in stock. :)

Because full QT isn’t feasible here, we flash medicated using Safety Stop. The process was easy, and the fish handled it like it was nothing. He disliked being caught and moved from bucket to bucket more than he cared one way or the other about the dip. This approach is much better than nothing, as the last thing we want to do is introduce any major pathogens. This is the plan going forward for all fish we add to TFT setups, unless a teacher wants to QT his/herself. 

Kids will see their fish for the first time on Monday, so the little guy has the weekend to settle in before their faces are all against the glass checking him out. :crab:

• Like 5

On 10/22/2018 at 7:49 AM, Emerald525 said:

@Gumby @Flashy Fins 

I sent an email to Rod’s food updating him on the tank and this was his response back.

Let me know when the tank is cycled and up and running and he will he happy to provide the food.

What a truly generous guy!

276CCBD8-1443-49FE-93EB-60B2A1BEF4C0.jpeg

That is awesome Kim! Thank you for your effort.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 7:35 AM, Flashy Fins said:

Tank is coming along! Kids got their first fish yesterday, a red firefish they voted for (beating out other choices of a Banggai cardinal and pearly jawfish). The plan was to take a photo of the fish in the tank, but of course he hid under a rock as soon as we dropped him in, so you’ll just have to imagine. :fish:

Thanks for the deal on the fish & hermits, @CuttleFishandCoral. The kids are ready for their next voted upon fish when you get an Aurora goby in stock. :)

Because full QT isn’t feasible here, we flash medicated using Safety Stop. The process was easy, and the fish handled it like it was nothing. He disliked being caught and moved from bucket to bucket more than he cared one way or the other about the dip. This approach is much better than nothing, as the last thing we want to do is introduce any major pathogens. This is the plan going forward for all fish we add to TFT setups, unless a teacher wants to QT his/herself. 

Kids will see their fish for the first time on Monday, so the little guy has the weekend to settle in before their faces are all against the glass checking him out. :crab:

Thank you Cherany and Jeff for your help!

2 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Sounds like you have some fish now. What kind of food will you need ? Hit him up ! Rod is a good guy and always true to his word !

Wow! I didn't realize they make so many blends. I think since the fish will be of the smaller variety to start. Fish eggs blend or when they get a little bigger and more fish Krill+ blend or whatever he thinks is best. There is no rush. The fish will be stretched out over the next couple of months little by little. Thanks Kim! We will keep updating. It will have mostly fish with some LPS corals. Whatever I can have that creates movement and color but the fish usually steal the show.

• Like 1