Growing your own phytoplankton

NateDawg

Has anybody on here ever grown there own phytoplankton before? I just built a phytoplankton growing station and I've got everything all ready except I'm not sure what to use as fertilizer, I keep seeing something named f/2 which is a specific for marine algae fertilizer. I also see people using miracle grow, not something I would do personally as I don't know the exact ingredients, but some reefers on forums say it's bad because of heavy metals, mainly copper. While doing research I found two separate formulas for the f/2 fertilizer that everyone says to use and both contain copper sulfate?!? That to me seems like that last thing I'd want to put in my tank.... with that being said, anyone know of something different to use as the fertilizer? I was almost thinking of trying a mix of potassium nitrate and some other stuff that would be already used to dose tanks with. I'll attach the formula for the fertilizer that everyone seems to be suggesting to use.

f_2_medium.pdf

Edited by NateDawg
Autocorrect....

I will definitely be selling it for super cheap, I just want to make sure I'm using the right food for the phyto. I ended up just going with the f/2 formula that I was being recommended too use. Still seems weird to me that it contains copper though... I think I'll do some tests and see if there is any copper in the final product before I use it.

Got the phyto fudge light put together. It's just the bare bones at the moment till I can find some sort of case for it. I built it to produce 50w of "full spectrum" light that should get the stuff growing fast.

And for the growing chambers, I'm gunna use 6, depending on how much I end up needing, of these define flip water bottles with rigid air tubing coming off each and will be connected to an air pump to keep oxygen/CO2 gas exchange going + it will keep everything suspended and not settle to the bottom.

20181002_012347.jpg

20181002_012551.jpg

20181002_022556.jpg

• 6 months later...