Sps grow out contest?

I think Brad had a thread about perhaps doing an SPS grow out a while back - before the meeting this summer at Cuttlefish. We had a somewhat prolonged discussion about how best to judge growth since it isn’t as simple as counting polyps like the zoanthid contest and just measuring frag height doesn’t really capture all the different possible growth patterns. We tossed atound ideas on measuring total volume using displacement since it could be done “at home” vs some sort of official weigh in using a high sensitivity scale. Of course that doesn’t take coloration into account but that is pretty subjective by nature  

Anrway... might make for a good read if someone is thinking about how to put one together.

5 hours ago, albertareef said:

I think Brad had a thread about perhaps doing an SPS grow out a while back - before the meeting this summer at Cuttlefish. We had a somewhat prolonged discussion about how best to judge growth since it isn’t as simple as counting polyps like the zoanthid contest and just measuring frag height doesn’t really capture all the different possible growth patterns. We tossed atound ideas on measuring total volume using displacement since it could be done “at home” vs some sort of official weigh in using a high sensitivity scale. Of course that doesn’t take coloration into account but that is pretty subjective by nature  

Anrway... might make for a good read if someone is thinking about how to put one together.

Deffinatly could do a weigh in combined with coloration you cant miss a crazy color popping at your eyes...lol maybe polyp extension to depending on the type of acro...cough cough.....rainbow tenuis!;). Also to photograph each peice should have a specific like temp like 18 or 20k and habe everyone use there mobile phone camera with like the snapseed app with a specific setting. Just a few thoughts

Edited by 503reefland
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

water displacement would be the way to go. not everyone has an accurate scale and judging coloration is going to be won by someone with the nicest camera and photoshop skills.

Is cosmetic surgery a thing for corals, like models/celebrities getting lip injections and/or butt augmentations?  I could see some less-than-scrupulous grow out contestants injecting their SPS with gelatin to increase displacement for the win!  I'm not naming names, but someone might do it...🤣

7 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

water displacement would be the way to go. not everyone has an accurate scale and judging coloration is going to be won by someone with the nicest camera and photoshop skills.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That was where we were headed in the last competition thread - although it was never put into practice. 

• Like 1

on further reflection, I doubt it would work. even if your frag doubled in size, your a talking a volume of water equal to 1ml..maybe 2. you could not measure that in a graduated cylinder big enough to hold the frag.

so maybe a ruler really is the answer. if you have multiple branches then measure them all and add.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

What is the practical procedure for doing this?  Everyone needs a graduated cylinder? 

The answer that was proposed there was to use a small container (like one of the abundantly available specimen cups) that you could mark a "control" level on which is how much water to add (just enough to cover your starting frag).  You then measure growth by using a syringe to remove excess water down to the original control level and read the volume off the syringe (since it has pretty fine gradations).  That was the concept anyway... not sure anyone tested it to see how practical it proved to be.  The alternative was some sort of official weigh in on a high sensitivity scale but that would take some coordination.  Of course, there is always the snap a pic with a ruler held next to it but it's hard to capture all the possible SPS growth patterns off of that (as we well know).

• Confused 1

How about a shot with a ruler for max height and max width?  Final score is just the sum of those two?  Lot of control issues I think with actually trying to measure displacement between a bunch of different people with potentially different equipment.  

Most importantly, when are we starting this? 😎

• Like 1

Why not just take the frags back to CnC afterwards, then they would be all together and be able to be measured in whatever way, even by coloration, and the equipment would be the same for all of them being measured so there wouldn't be nearly as much, if at all, control issues. Just mark each frag plug prior to them getting taken home or wherever so you'd know who's is who's when they come back.

• Like 1