Jump to content
pdxmonkeyboy

Sps grow out contest?

Recommended Posts

I really enjoyed the zoa grow out. anyone want to go in on a colony of something from cuttlefish and have a sps grow out contest?

 

 

 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a prize for last place cause i can seriously keep an acro the same size for 12 months without killing it. That’s gotta be worth something. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

Is there a prize for last place cause i can seriously keep an acro the same size for 12 months without killing it. That’s gotta be worth something. 

X2

Ill battle for last place 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jeff has some fire right now...

how about winner gets a 30' long aquarium on a trailer??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

jeff has some fire right now...

how about winner gets a 30' long aquarium on a trailer??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

Id settle for a golden star for my chart....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

jeff has some fire right now...

how about winner gets a 30' long aquarium on a trailer??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

Only if it’s glass - you aren’t pawning off the acrylic tub on me!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make a poll on what kind of tenuis everyone wants? 😉🙃

Edited by 503reefland
Kant reed good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Brad had a thread about perhaps doing an SPS grow out a while back - before the meeting this summer at Cuttlefish. We had a somewhat prolonged discussion about how best to judge growth since it isn’t as simple as counting polyps like the zoanthid contest and just measuring frag height doesn’t really capture all the different possible growth patterns. We tossed atound ideas on measuring total volume using displacement since it could be done “at home” vs some sort of official weigh in using a high sensitivity scale. Of course that doesn’t take coloration into account but that is pretty subjective by nature  

Anrway... might make for a good read if someone is thinking about how to put one together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, albertareef said:

I think Brad had a thread about perhaps doing an SPS grow out a while back - before the meeting this summer at Cuttlefish. We had a somewhat prolonged discussion about how best to judge growth since it isn’t as simple as counting polyps like the zoanthid contest and just measuring frag height doesn’t really capture all the different possible growth patterns. We tossed atound ideas on measuring total volume using displacement since it could be done “at home” vs some sort of official weigh in using a high sensitivity scale. Of course that doesn’t take coloration into account but that is pretty subjective by nature  

Anrway... might make for a good read if someone is thinking about how to put one together.

Deffinatly could do a weigh in combined with coloration you cant miss a crazy color popping at your eyes...lol maybe polyp extension to depending on the type of acro...cough cough.....rainbow tenuis!;). Also to photograph each peice should have a specific like temp like 18 or 20k and habe everyone use there mobile phone camera with like the snapseed app with a specific setting. Just a few thoughts

Edited by 503reefland
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

water displacement would be the way to go. not everyone has an accurate scale and judging coloration is going to be won by someone with the nicest camera and photoshop skills.



Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

water displacement would be the way to go. not everyone has an accurate scale and judging coloration is going to be won by someone with the nicest camera and photoshop skills.

 

Is cosmetic surgery a thing for corals, like models/celebrities getting lip injections and/or butt augmentations?  I could see some less-than-scrupulous grow out contestants injecting their SPS with gelatin to increase displacement for the win!  I'm not naming names, but someone might do it...🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

water displacement would be the way to go. not everyone has an accurate scale and judging coloration is going to be won by someone with the nicest camera and photoshop skills.



Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

That was where we were headed in the last competition thread - although it was never put into practice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, albertareef said:

That was where we were headed in the last competition thread - although it was never put into practice. 

What is the practical procedure for doing this?  Everyone needs a graduated cylinder? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on further reflection, I doubt it would work. even if your frag doubled in size, your a talking a volume of water equal to 1ml..maybe 2. you could not measure that in a graduated cylinder big enough to hold the frag.

so maybe a ruler really is the answer. if you have multiple branches then measure them all and add.


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

What is the practical procedure for doing this?  Everyone needs a graduated cylinder? 

The answer that was proposed there was to use a small container (like one of the abundantly available specimen cups) that you could mark a "control" level on which is how much water to add (just enough to cover your starting frag).  You then measure growth by using a syringe to remove excess water down to the original control level and read the volume off the syringe (since it has pretty fine gradations).  That was the concept anyway... not sure anyone tested it to see how practical it proved to be.  The alternative was some sort of official weigh in on a high sensitivity scale but that would take some coordination.  Of course, there is always the snap a pic with a ruler held next to it but it's hard to capture all the possible SPS growth patterns off of that (as we well know).

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a shot with a ruler for max height and max width?  Final score is just the sum of those two?  Lot of control issues I think with actually trying to measure displacement between a bunch of different people with potentially different equipment.  

Most importantly, when are we starting this? 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just take the frags back to CnC afterwards, then they would be all together and be able to be measured in whatever way, even by coloration, and the equipment would be the same for all of them being measured so there wouldn't be nearly as much, if at all, control issues. Just mark each frag plug prior to them getting taken home or wherever so you'd know who's is who's when they come back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...