SuncrestReef

PNWMAS history?

On 1/7/2019 at 4:59 PM, Krux said:

Alice, it all started with Alice...

Our earlier events happened at Woody's old place.  I came on when I moved to Portland in 2001.  Most of the people who were around then are gone now.  We swelled to about 20 active members and outgrew BBQs at Woody's and branched out into other stores... Soutas, The OG waves when it was in LO, Upscales, R-2's old place down in Salem (forget the name of that shop).  Alice became inactive after a move up to Federal Way at this point and we fell to a loosely organized band of rabble rousers, I volunteered to steer things for a while, this was around 2003.

Our first really big meeting was at Steve Weast's place, we flew out Steve Tyree and the area got an infusion of cool corals.  A few of the group may remember me cooking filet skewers... Steve was a great host.  

Our first hosted website was set up by a guy named James, we spent some time trying to learn HTML and we got a forum going, but there weren't really any volunteers at that time that had the technical aptitude to push it further than a basic roboboard that we hosted on GoDaddy.  Chief came online as our dedicated admin and kept us all out of trouble.  This may be the same site we started... unsure, Jay may know if it migrated.  As Chief said, we went through the hoops of becoming a 401c (drafting a charter, creating a board of directors, writing a constitution... we took templates from MASNA as guidance) so we could accept donations from vendors and sell raffle tickets to fund tickets to the Oregon Coast Aquarium, speakers, and TFT.  At one point we had membership cards that could get you a discount at local shops if you flashed them... maybe I can dig one up some time.

Woody moved to Columbia Blvd, Souta's closed, Joel bought out Shaun in the new Waves location in Tualatin over this period (2003-2006).

I sold off my tank in 2005 and stepped down as President in late '05 or early '06, Weast broke down his tank around 2008-2009, Jim (Rainbowcorals) moved and broke down his tank around the same time, and I left the group for 10 years due to work, leaving the club in the capable hands of Chief, Lowman, and Jmanrow.  It took a while for the changeover, some hostility was floating around, but everything worked its way out in the end.  Chief was persistent! 

We had set up a solid foundation for TFT, had an active board, and were growing faster at that point than we could easily manage (tank tours and meetings grew to a size that your average home could no longer hold us).  A few of the older members are still around... Chewie, Chief, R-3, Wannareef and and a couple more are all still active that I see on the forums.  There are a couple more that I see on the users list but don't see post much.  

We had on the old forum a history thread posted, but I am sure that has been scrubbed from the web for almost a decade.

I still like to enjoy a beer from time to time with Steve and Jim,  think they have both lurked in the back of a meeting at one point in the current era.

Hope that helps?  Memory gets fuzzy as time passes.

R-1

*edit* just found this old post, probably from around '03:

This is a great find and a very nice club intro Ryan!

BTW - anyone recall the chat feature we had on the original platform?  I recall a few hardcore folk would get on there in the evening and exchange some banter.

I actually saw the name when I was reading old threads but now forget, maybe dig through the Jan-May 06 postings, it is in there somewhere.

14 hours ago, albertareef said:

This is a great find and a very nice club intro Ryan!

BTW - anyone recall the chat feature we had on the original platform?  I recall a few hardcore folk would get on there in the evening and exchange some banter.

I remember  the chat part of the old platform, I actually used it a few times.

It was called Flashchat.  It’s still around, but I don’t think it is an option for us.  We don’t own our server space anymore.  Since the migration to Invision Power Board, we trade amazing stability for limited customization.   There are some great add-ons out there.  I will do some digging and see if there is a chat add-on that could work for us. 

22 minutes ago, Chief said:

It was called Flashchat.  It’s still around, but I don’t think it is an option for us.  We don’t own our server space anymore.  Since the migration to Invision Power Board, we trade amazing stability for limited customization.   There are some great add-ons out there.  I will do some digging and see if there is a chat add-on that could work for us. 

Thanks Jay!  I figured the current platform didn't support it plus "chat" tech has changed a lot over the years so not even sure what the current equivalent looks like (outside of the office app style ones).  Certainly the stability gain from the switch was well worth losing the chat feature - not to mention admins not having to maintain servers in their unpaid free time!