Is this Bryopsis?

SuncrestReef

I have one zoanthid colony on a branch that has gotten overgrown with algae, and I think it is bryopsis. Can anyone confirm this ID? Here's a full frame photo and a macro zoom: 

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 1.40.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 1.40.57 PM.png

At the moment it's isolated to this one branch. I'm thinking about removing it from the display tank and treating it with fluconazole as I've read other posts that this is usually effective in eliminating bryopsis.

Any other recommendations?

1 minute ago, R-3 said:

Does it branch like this?

289E452D-4C05-46C9-BF27-EA20CBF0588B.jpeg

No, it's not branching.  Each stem is coming straight from the rock.  I also looked at photos of feather caulerpa but it does not appear to match what I have.  The "feathers" on mine are very thin and less dense than the photos I've seen of feather caulerpa.

Definitely looks like bryopsis.  Don't freak, I've been dealing with it for years at this point and I'm sure there are others.  💪  Just rip tufts out by hand where you can and work on your 'fuge macro to starve it out.  It doesn't grow that fast.  If you really can't take it, H2O2 will kill it like @Emerald525 said or you can buy fluconozole.  I've used it 3-4 times in the last several years when I panicked about the algae.  It was expensive, it worked and the bryopsis always came back.  At this point I just don't care.  If it's growing noticeably in the DT I just remove it.  It's not the death sentence it's painted as sometimes.

When a big tuft gets growing in my fuge I just pluck it out and throw it in the compost bin.  I don't see much difference between that and harvesting a different macro.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Definitely looks like bryopsis.  Don't freak, I've been dealing with it for years at this point and I'm sure there are others.  💪  Just rip tufts out by hand where you can and work on your 'fuge macro to starve it out.  It doesn't grow that fast.  If you really can't take it, H2O2 will kill it like @Emerald525 said or you can buy fluconozole.  I've used it 3-4 times in the last several years when I panicked about the algae.  It was expensive, it worked and the bryopsis always came back.  At this point I just don't care.  If it's growing noticeably in the DT I just remove it.  It's not the death sentence it's painted as sometimes.

When a big tuft gets growing in my fuge I just pluck it out and throw it in the compost bin.  I don't see much difference between that and harvesting a different macro.  

I have also have had great luck with purple tangs clearing it out. 

• Haha 1

Yep, definitely bryopsis. I've had issues with it until the magical fluconozole treatment was discovered. But.....I have it return after treating with fluconozole but not for months. BRS sales it now and is much cheaper. I run the treatment for a long time and follow all the rules laid out in the R2R thread, but comes back anyway.

I would definitely try the H2O2 treatment mentioned above first if it's only on that frag. I dip in 1:4 H2O2 to tank water. Use the 3% peroxide that you get over the counter. I dip for 4 minutes and rinse in fresh salt water. This usually takes care of it. Haven't killed anything yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I’d do the fluconozole treatment, I’ve had good luck with it. I suppose I have had similar issues with it coming back but it’s always way less and as mentioned, only after several months. I think the issue with it that some people noticed was that the light seems to kill it during the treatment and shaded areas are less affected. As with every pest in this hobby, they always come back without complete irradiation.

As always though, if the frag is the only spot with it, remove and dip or discard. I think I see it elsewhere so I’d still do the flucos. It’s one of the easiest, lowest impact reef treatments I’ve done.