Gil&Fin

Salt Creep Removal

Anyone have tips-and-tricks that have worked for them?  A Google search is mostly giving me preventative measures, or how to remove it from glass.  I want to know about removing it from equipment, light fixtures, and the tank rim.  Thanks.

I just use a damp sponge.  If you squeeze the sponge and it doesn’t drip, then it’s just right.  If it’s too wet it leaves a lot of streaks.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, John.  I wasn't clear.  I'm talking about the mineral deposits left by salt creep--you know, there really hard stuff that tap water won't touch.

I would think a hard water stain remover would work. I believe Zep makes a product for such purposes, but have never personally tried it. I would test on a small area. Home Depot carries Zep products. 

• Thanks 1

soak newspaper in vinegar, lay it on there. several hours later or overnight, wipe it off.

or.....
wait till it gets really bad then post it on craigslist for sale with a price that is 2x what it is worth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

soak newspaper in vinegar, lay it on there. several hours later or overnight, wipe it off.

or.....
wait till it gets really bad then post it on craigslist for sale with a price that is 2x what it is worth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Definitely try vinegar. Best salt creep remover I know.

• Like 1

:nono: Holly!, Not keeping up with wiping down the glass and equipment during your weekly maintenance routine to prevent such a disaster! :happy:

As the others mentioned, Vinegar is the go to, though i suggest looking for a type with less of a potent aroma.

• Like 1