Algae everywhere

Trailermann

It looks like Dino. I had it few months back and lost few sps frags. I was lucky to beat it just by removing as much as I can then doing 3 days total blackout. Remember to turn off algae scrubber light as well during blackout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dino's.  I'm actually currently in the midst of fighting it.  I don't really want to do a blackout yet so I've taken to daily H202 dosing (@10mL/10g) and manually blowing off all the algae.  Mine was expected with a tank transfer and the resulting lack of biofilter.  It's being brought under control as my refugium has filled with macro.  I added an order of pods+ and a CuC replenishment too which seems to be helping.  Gotta blow it off though, it definitely damages coral/inverts. 

• Like 1

I am starting to attach the dino without using a black out.  First step of filtering the water through a filter sock did not work very well.  Obviously I will need a much finer sock because 80% of the crap went right through.  

Starting the 2 week H2O2 regimen. 

I have heard mixed reviews on black out, as it can often times come right back after you bring the lights back on.  

I had a mix of cyano and dino during my tanks "uglies phase"  I vacuumed,  water changes, lowered my phos, basically I had tried a lot of things.  

Then I stumbled on a thread about vibrant aquarium cleaner on R2R.  People were saying great things about it and they had amazing before and after pictures.  I spent the $30 and got a bottle.   WOW!!  This stuff is amazing and I mean A-MA- ZING.  It is a bacteria that feeds on algae.  I did two doses for three weeks and everything was gone.  

People online cry foul, the typical "thats snake oil" crap but I tell you what, it works better than ANYTHING i have tried in the past and did NOT affect any of my corals or inverts. 

I live in SW as well, if you want to borrow some 4" 100 micron socks you can. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the dino issue.  The H2O2 knocked out the algae, but it came back a week later.  Now  dosing again.

But I read that the likely cause in the first place was zero phosphates and nitrates.  To address this, I have been dosing Brightwell Aquatics Neophos.  The phosphate does go up, but drops down to zero overnight.  Puzzling since there was no visible algae in the tank when I was using the Neophos.

high nitrates and almost zero phosphates is definately the root cause a majority of the time.

my nitrates are around 10 and my phos was .02 on the milwaukie meter last week. I started to get some patches of dino but I redid my aquascaping and it hasn't come back yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I too have been battling dino.  This is what I have been doing and it seems to be working.

1.  Use turkey baster to blast off the dino off rocks every other day.  Only had to this three times.

2.  Increase flow and move my wave up closer to the surface so it would suck in some air.  It's noisy.  Got this tip from Erin at All Things Aquarium.  That's suppose to help bond the dino to bubbles to get them to the sump for skimmer to remove.

3.  Wet skim so it drips every couple secs.  Fills my 5 gal skimmer waste bucket every 1.5 days.  Top off fresh salt if sump level gets too low.

4.  Grow algae scrubber/cheato and clean weekly.  Take all cheato out and rinse out the dino weekly.

I still feed my fish as usual.  Dino is not completely gone but doesn't cover the rocks and corals anymore and just a little on the sandbed during the day.

Good luck!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I too have been battling dino.  This is what I have been doing and it seems to be working.

1.  Use turkey baster to blast off the dino off rocks every other day.  Only had to this three times. 

2.  Increase flow and move my wave up closer to the surface so it would suck in some air.  It's noisy.  Got this tip from Erin at All Things Aquarium.  That's suppose to help bond the dino to bubbles to get them to the sump for skimmer to remove. 

3.  Wet skim so it drips every couple secs.  Fills my 5 gal skimmer waste bucket every 1.5 days.  Top off fresh salt if sump level gets too low.

4.  Grow algae scrubber/cheato and clean weekly.  Take all cheato out and rinse out the dino weekly. 

I still feed my fish as usual.  Dino is not completely gone but doesn't cover the rocks and corals anymore and just a little on the sandbed during the day.

Good luck! 

I do believe Trailermann  has a 45 RL AIO if I'm not mistaken, making 3 and 4 a bit difficult, and the only reason I point that out is because of how Important those steps are. I fought dino's for more than a year in JBJ RL AIO. I finally threw in the towel and wish I would have cut my losses and did the reboot from the get go. Had I known the time, effort,  and money that would be lost over that year of trying everything; I would have never bothered fighting it with an AIO and it's limitations.

In your situation having a sump and all sorts of options available to you, try searching old threads on Dinos here on the forum, @Lexinverts has had experience with them, is extremely knowledgeable with the pest, and gave the steps for ridding yourself of them some time ago, so with a bit of searching i think you will find what your looking for :) Good Luck to you both!

• Like 1