Sign in to follow this  
Oregonic

Help ID algae or seaweed!?!

Have a weird algae or seaweed that appeared sometime in last few days. I haven’t added anything to the tank for at least 5 months.  Any ideas?BAA34190-63CE-45EB-B79A-2D4C23AB72BC.jpeg

4ECFE4B5-F83A-46BD-A4AF-920BD3D29BC3.jpeg

6 hours ago, Sailingeric said:

hard to tell with the blueish light, you could turn up the white for a better pic but it might be sea lettuce. 

It is a dark green like kelp you would find here at the oregon coast.  I will turn up the whites tonight when I get home and take another photo. 

1 hour ago, Oregonic said:

It is a dark green like kelp you would find here at the oregon coast.  I will turn up the whites tonight when I get home and take another photo. 

Possible sea kale or sea chard then? 😜 

It looks like a macroalgae. I would definite remove it because that can overtake your tank. Hard to say why it is showing up now. It could be it just found the right conditions (nitrogen and flow”

Here is a picture with more white light.  Color still doent look exact but pretty close.  It is a dark brownish green. I have been trying to keep my hands out of the tank all the time except for every other week when doing water change. This Friday is water change night should i just leave it till then or pull it out now?  Im kind of interested to see what it does if I leave it but definitely dont want it to take over the tank. I have never really had much of an algae issue, tank is just over 2 years old. Dont want to start having an algae issue now but super curious at same time. 

9C9E44FA-92D2-48E4-A5EB-7DBA205F680F.jpeg 

Found this stuff again. Here are a few more photos. The runners really latch on to the rock. Still only on one rock. Any ideads of what it may be?  Should I consider adding an emerald crab, maybe it would eat it?

E6A41837-0AD6-42FE-AD45-FDDCB92DE55E.jpeg

DE265675-9112-41F1-90E7-7A381D672E01.jpeg

BF234DFB-B454-4AD7-9D3B-9BF10631AF63.jpeg

3FDA11E3-F520-4A75-9368-625C26B1F38D.jpeg

0EF4F38B-46FF-4DA6-A89A-C196D536B25D.jpeg

As with any caulerpa, it is pretty invasive. Manual removal is best. Some tangs will eat it when hungry as well as Fox faces. 

Tank is a e170, to small for a tang 😢. Guess I will just have to keep an eye on it and pull it as I see it pop up. It gows in the center of a zoa garden so its hard to see the runners.