RIP Bucket - "best cat ever"

albertareef

Well...

We had to let go of one of the family today - Bucket, one of our two silver-tick Manx cats.  Bucket, whom some of you have met, was no ordinary cat (not that there is such a thing).  He was indeed very special.  When we first saw him listed on the Humane Society web site over 10 years ago, the description just said "best cat ever!"  That was pretty much dead on.  Little did we know he had a litter mate, Zacheus who we also brought home.  Bucket was the ultimate lap cat with personality to spare. He loved to attack the lumps in the rug, cat toys and occasionally his brother (all in good fun, of course) but most of all he loved spending time with his people.  If you sat down to read a book or watch TV you would also have Bucket - which wasn't terrible since his double coat was the softest thing you probably every felt.  Every night, he would lay down at the foot of the door to our upstairs bedroom and try not to let us past.  This resulted in having to pick him up for his good night snuggle before he was be "ok" letting us through.  Of course, that did not prevent him from spending the night bringing us various presents including his favorite toys, an entire throw blanket off the couch or, my personal favorite, gardening boots from the basement.  The latter were particularly entertaining as they thumped up the stairs one level at a time.  Once he lost his canine teeth it cut into his more heroic feats but we still would regularly get the smaller items.

Alas - all things come to an end and Bucket succumbed to being unable to eat (possibly stomach cancer).  The last couple weeks he finally got what he always wanted and spent the nights upstairs with us.  I will miss the hell out of this cat...

DSCN0643.JPG

• Sad 4

So sorry Sean.🙁. Bucket was an awesome cat. So calm and friendly. 

[language filter] animals and their shorter life span.

We love all our pets but there are particularly special ones that we all remember  and that’s Bucket. 

As you know Sean, I’m not much of a cat person but I loved that stubby tailed little guy.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

So sorry Sean.🙁. Bucket was an awesome cat. So calm and friendly. 

[language filter] animals and their shorter life span.

We love all our pets but there are particularly special ones that we all remember  and that’s Bucket. 

As you know Sean, I’m not much of a cat person but I loved that stubby tailed little guy.

Thanks Kim. Yeah, unless you stick to parrots you end up having to deal with things like this... doesn’t make it suck less though. 

45 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Condolences Sean.  Being a cat person myself, I can well imagine how bad that has to hurt.  

Thanks Greg.  I didn't realize I was a cat person until fairly recently and now Bucket has kind of spoiled me for any other cats... time will change that I'm sure.

43 minutes ago, River City Corals said:

So sorry to hear this. Pets make our lives much more enjoyable and their love is unconditional hope Bucket is chasing lots of mice and huffing on the cat nip up above!!! 

Thanks Brian - I am sure he is... although it's probably more likely to be moths 😃

43 minutes ago, Flashy Fins said:

So sorry to hear, Sean, although I'm sure he lived a wonderful life with you & Darcy. :love_heart:

Well, I hope so.  Hard to tell how he felt about it sometimes ("why can't I go upstairs") but he was certainly loved.

11 hours ago, cjmdh said:

So sorry for your loss!

Thank you. 

9 hours ago, milesmiles902 said:

Bucket, I'll miss you.

Thanks Miles - he was awesome. 

1 hour ago, TheClark said:

Aww, so sorry, that hurts to lose a pet family member.  What a great tribute and writeup, glad for the too short time you guys had with him.

Thanks Jeremy. I don’t usually talk a lot about these things but he was a very special guy and deserved a shout out. 

1 hour ago, HenryLimpet said:

Very sorry Sean, I have a couple of Persian and there getting of age I just wish they would live longer.

"Life is just a series of Cats" or dogs as George Carlin said one time

Thanks. Yeah, just about the time they finally get you trained you end up having to start all over. This one is going to be hard to recover from though. 

a good cat is easy to find, the truly special ones are a little fewer and farther in between. sorry to hear about bucket, he sounds like he was a great cat.

My dexter "flops" on me and demands his belly rubbed... which according to legend, is like rubbing an Angel's belly.

Every cat has something to offer so I hope you guys can get another one soon.

sorry Sean.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you need another one :unsure: I can bring you mine...............he is old maybe 20 were not really sure..........he is deaf but eats like there is no tomorrow........yes he does have issues but we just deal with it. Hell he adopted us before our 19 year old was born so thats how we guess his age.......was a kitten under out deck......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spectra said:

Sorry to hear..............

Pets run our lives :laugh: we do anything for them and a lot of us probably like them more than our kids..............

Thanks Scott - so true. At least in this case, all the effort was totally worth it - amazing little guy. 

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

a good cat is easy to find, the truly special ones are a little fewer and farther in between. sorry to hear about bucket, he sounds like he was a great cat.

My dexter "flops" on me and demands his belly rubbed... which according to legend, is like rubbing an Angel's belly.

Every cat has something to offer so I hope you guys can get another one soon.

sorry Sean.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks Brian. Glad you have a cool feline companion as well. I think it will likely be a while before we try and “replace” him - truly a special creature.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spectra said:

If you need another one :unsure: I can bring you mine...............he is old maybe 20 were not really sure..........he is deaf but eats like there is no tomorrow........yes he does have issues but we just deal with it. Hell he adopted us before our 19 year old was born so thats how we guess his age.......was a kitten under out deck......

Oh man - another “old” cat story. Wish I knew the secret. Our various felines have passed away at 5, 7 (siblings),  11 and 13 years of age. And these were all indoor only cats!  Probably just their contrary nature coming through 😁

• Confused 1