3d Printable Nori Clip

TheClark

4 minutes ago, badxgillen said:

I might be persuaded to give up my old PVC pipe and rubber band/zip tie setup...How much!?

LOL, I hear ya.  Finally traded in my zip ties.

Will print you one tonight and try to get it in the mail.  PM me your address, no charge, thanks for all you do for the club!

• Like 5

On 7/17/2018 at 10:51 PM, R-3 said:

Could you modify it to fit a rimless tank? Maybe another hook? That would be cool

Is a clip better?  Or a hook?  I am thinking clip, the tangs get pretty aggressive with their nori!

• Haha 1

Well, back to the drawing board.  This one too, after a while loses the ability to stay closed.  Seems like after about a week of daily feeding.  Trying another design with replaceable clips, will start a new thread if it works out.

2 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Well, back to the drawing board.  This one too, after a while loses the ability to stay closed.  Seems like after about a week of daily feeding.  Trying another design with replaceable clips, will start a new thread if it works out.

I think your tangs are just getting stronger - it's like a fish workout program.

Oh wow, I’m interested too. I have three angels, two triggers, and two tangs, all of which love seaweed. Interested in how this turns out (and if I could potentially get one as well).

I’d need to think on what type of clip suits me, but I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadAShark said:

Oh wow, I’m interested too. I have three angels, two triggers, and two tangs, all of which love seaweed. Interested in how this turns out (and if I could potentially get one as well).

I’d need to think on what type of clip suits me, but I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for one.

I will probably do a share the love and get some out to the club, this is just for fun.  Glad there is interest!

What method for attaching it to the tank do you like?  Clip on a rimless?  Chain, zip ties etc?

5 hours ago, TheClark said:

I will probably do a share the love and get some out to the club, this is just for fun.  Glad there is interest!

What method for attaching it to the tank do you like?  Clip on a rimless?  Chain, zip ties etc?

My tanks all have rims at the moment, but if it was made for a rimless I probably could clip it onto an overflow.

I don’t feed as much nori cause it pieces up a ton, I tend to use dried kelp (though the fish don’t go as crazy about it), which I attach by tying it to overflow via a rubberband; kelp is thicker and I can actually pierce a hole through it to use to tie, which obviously isn’t as convenient.

But yeah, I think I would like a short chain with a clip at the end, which I can then zip tie... TO MY OVERFLOW ONCE AGAIN 😜 — or a clip that can clip onto my rim or overflow would work too but that might be a bit harder to design haha.

What I can see is that since the clip is made from plastic, the plastic’s elasticity in the future will slowly degrade due to deformation (albeit a very long time— depending on type of plastic used).

Thanks for doing this :)

Edited by LadAShark

20 hours ago, LadAShark said:

My tanks all have rims at the moment, but if it was made for a rimless I probably could clip it onto an overflow.

I don’t feed as much nori cause it pieces up a ton, I tend to use dried kelp (though the fish don’t go as crazy about it), which I attach by tying it to overflow via a rubberband; kelp is thicker and I can actually pierce a hole through it to use to tie, which obviously isn’t as convenient.

But yeah, I think I would like a short chain with a clip at the end, which I can then zip tie... TO MY OVERFLOW ONCE AGAIN 😜 — or a clip that can clip onto my rim or overflow would work too but that might be a bit harder to design haha.

What I can see is that since the clip is made from plastic, the plastic’s elasticity in the future will slowly degrade due to deformation (albeit a very long time— depending on type of plastic used).

Thanks for doing this :)

Absolutely dead on, the elasticity gives over time.  I am trying to make one that has minimum stress at rest.

Cobbled together a couple of things and came up with this:

7F2288CB-9B88-466B-B00F-FEBDC54E7EA5.jpeg6CD46414-9C8B-4C87-9050-B74553A9CDF1.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting!  The challenge for some might be how far down the water line is vs. the clip position - don't think it would get deep enough in my setup for instance. Not that that is any kind of determining factor.  🙂  Love all the ideas... who knew something so simple could be so difficult?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

Interesting!  The challenge for some might be how far down the water line is vs. the clip position - don't think it would get deep enough in my setup for instance. Not that that is any kind of determining factor.  🙂  Love all the ideas... who knew something so simple could be so difficult?

Rather, why is it that many of the things that are very difficult actually seem simple, deceptively so?

• Like 1