temp control?

kuda

This week we have lost a clam, a jawfish, and our powder blue tang is looking pretty ill this morning.

We have had some unfortunate accidents involving temperature fluctuations this week...fans going out the same night we left the tank room door closed spiked the tank to 87 degrees, we lost the clam that night and the jawfish the next day...this morning I discovered that the heater has gone out and the tank was 71 this morning...now powder blue tang looks very unhappy. Water quality seems ok.

Do you guys think that these losses could be due to the temp fluctuations this week in our tank?

If you haven't done a water change from the clam death, do one. The bio will increase, using more O2. Higher temps also depleat O2 levels. To big of a swing. when temp changes, bring back SLOWLY. My tanks would swing from 78 to 85 daily. I wanted it that way. I didn't have any problems, but I did this over severall months to get all tank life to adjust. I never used a heater. Powder blue's should be on Ick watch from the shock in temp drop. Keep all activity in and around tank low to reduse stress. We tend to want to SEE what is going on and every time we look in the tank the fish dart and it stresses them more. You also should cut back feeding in half, for at least a week. Good Luck :)