Midas Blenny/Ember Blenny?

Krux

Does anyone have any experience with either of these fish in a reef tank?  I am looking for something that will fill the role of algae grazer, in my build thread someone recommended a rabbitfish, but I am afraid that will be a little cramped in my 34 gallon tank.

Early research shows mixed results, they are both listed as omnivores, but what I am really looking for is a miniature lawnmower.  I could go with a Horseface, Combtooth, Segmented, or Tailspot, but I am looking for something a little flashier.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I have a tailspot blenny and they are not going to keep algae growth down... they just can't eat it fast enough. That's the reason I recommended the Rabbitfish :)

I also have an RS 170 and if you can get a rabbitfish that is smaller, you'll be good for some time I feel.... but I've only had mine for 3 weeks now. I have no more hair algae though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jfish said:

I have a tailspot blenny and they are not going to keep algae growth down... they just can't eat it fast enough. That's the reason I recommended the Rabbitfish :)

I also have an RS 170 and if you can get a rabbitfish that is smaller, you'll be good for some time I feel.... but I've only had mine for 3 weeks now. I have no more hair algae though. 

In my case, my Foxface ran out of algae in a much larger system and decided that any green coral must be algae.  Bali Slimer really struggles for me but at least the fish is happy!  I do feed nori daily, for what it's worth. 

29 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

In my case, my Foxface ran out of algae in a much larger system and decided that any green coral must be algae.  Bali Slimer really struggles for me but at least the fish is happy!  I do feed nori daily, for what it's worth. 

Yep, my two-bar rabbit and my twin-spot hogfish share nori everyday when he's not eating any spots of algae. Nori is an easy solution :)

• Like 2

Not trying to nitpick but to be clear, it isn't a solution for me.  My foxface eats SPS wholesale, the greener the better.  No amount of nori has dissuaded him yet.  Still, his tiny little mouth doesn't do enough damage that the colonies can't outgrow it.  That said, my foxface (Hendrix, he's called), is already ~7" and seems to still be growing.