Might need a livestock babysitter soon due to a failing custom tank.

ChrisQ

Hi all,

I might need a livestock babysitter soon due to a failing custom tank. 60'' L x 20'' D x 17'' H 

Front panel, right seam is failing.

Livestock:

Fish

x1 3'' yellow tang

x1 3.5'' Kole tang

x1 1.5'' Six-line

x1 3'' Blue/Green reef Chromis

x2 True perc clown pair (been together for around 7-8 years, they will kill the other tank mates, and are separated)

x1 Harlequin shrimp 

Coral:

7 or so heads of green hammer (separate frags, no bigger then 3-4'' when extended.

12 Zoa colonies with 3-4 of them being about 3'' (much zoa fragging need to be done) 

1 birdsnest frag 4''

4-5'' Blastomussa colony 

17 or so heads of Duncan's on a single skeleton

1 small cap

2-3'' Purple torch

2-3'' Gold torch

6-7'' green torch

x2 4-5'' Trachy's

16-18 GB ultra orange Yumas (Two frags and the rest on two small 5x5'' rocks

30 Rainbow bubble tips of all sizes

x1 Green Chalice, no sweepers

x1 frag of 3 heads 3'' Purple tipped hammer

Ich is present in the system, no infestation at all, but i'm aware it's present. No other pest i'm aware of (bare bottom) with the exception of the stars that the Harlequin has been taking care of. Just want to be fully open and honest.

Thanks ahead for any responses.

Just a suggestion before asking someone to take and watch your livestock, you might want to consider buying or borrowing a tank from someone that can sit at your place making it easier to move the water and equipment from that tank over for a much easier transition opposed to trying to bag and bucket everything and move it to another location and re acclimate it again. 

• Like 2

What’s going on with the tank? Is that crazing suddenly new? It’s not uncommon for acrylic tanks to have a little crazing but depending on age Of tank and how suddenly it appeared I’d be more or less worried.

Silver lining - you could take this chance to get rid of the ich. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bevo5 said:

What’s going on with the tank? Is that crazing suddenly new? It’s not uncommon for acrylic tanks to have a little crazing but depending on age Of tank and how suddenly it appeared I’d be more or less worried.

Silver lining - you could take this chance to get rid of the ich. 

This is not crazing, like shown in the second picture. It's actual seam separation (I can stick the tip of my fingernail in some of them) that travels the whole 17'' in height. The crazing appeared (not pictured) nearly instantly when the tank maker attempted a repair with Weldon-4 on a running 60'' tank. 

"Many studies have demonstrated that two conditions must be present for stress crazing to develop on the surface of an acrylic sheet: stress within the acrylic sheet and the presence of an aggressive liquid or solvent. The presence of only one of these conditions does not cause crazing. Both must be present."

http://aristechacrylics.com/wp-content/uploads/Stress_Crazing_on_Acrylic_Surfaces_and_Its_Causes_Bulletin_186.pdf

This was confirmed with some of the professionals i spoke with but quite honestly, they couldn't care less about the crazing, they were way more concerned with the seam separation and what may have caused it. Some asked me if i was near the tank, yes sir, they then asked me to go and inspect a few things, one was "is the outsides of the panels clear or dull? Dull i answered. Then was asked to run my finger down the affected seam. It felt like what i would describe as a row of speed bumps right next to each other. This is called "router chatter" The rest of the seams from end to end, everyone of them has terrible router chatter. None of them had any confidence with the integrity of the rest of the tank and was advised it will continue until ultimate failure.

Double threat: From the inside, same seam. If coralline,etc can get in there and grow, that would be seam separation.

IMG_20180607_151317520_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20180607_151551750.jpg

Tank is 3 years and 7 months old.

Seam separation started a little over the 3 year mark.

I would love to treat them for ich but the stress for the tangs would be too great at this time.

The only time i see 1-2 specks is on the yellow and was when he/she was getting too aggressive with the Kole and i would rearrange territory's once a week. They have since figured it all out and i don't have to do that anymore.

It would also not make much difference because of my rock. I can't keep all my rock fallow for the required time needed. I'm not sure how to do it to be honest. 

4 hours ago, TheClark said:

I have some stock tanks you can borrow Chris if you need them.  4 I think, 100 gallons each.  Just for stuff like this...

Thank you Jeremy! This is going to have to be my temporary solution i think.

I have 2 eheim jager heaters that i trust (as much as you can trust a heater anyway)

One problem i'll have to figure out is two powerheads, i messed up and have been using Jebao and one by one they fall. I replaced my return with a DCT15000 :doh: with Amazon, but this time i was smart enough to add a 4 year warranty. This is what i have been using as my main flow in this tank cranked all the way up from one from the last. I do have a smaller Tunze (can't remember the # of hand)  that has never let my down that's in the tank now that will probably be enough for one tub but its on the smaller side of their line. The only other is a small korilla.  I'll just have to buy another for the second tub.

My clown pair and their 30 nems will stay where they are in a 40g breeder (they can't be with other's)

I might have to steal their skimmer though but that's okay, water changes will take care of that.

I can separate the two Radions but only have one hanging kit but i suppose i can set them on a sheet of egg crate, they both have 120° lens kits in them.

If i can find a spot for them side by side i could also swap the reactor every couple days (Purigen/Phosguard

This could not have come at a worse time, i was currently in the process of rebuilding/overhauling one of my racing ATV's and could not find a necessary part for, temporary insanity ensued and i emptied half my garage and shop into my home, yep, house mates were not to happy, but i found the magical part!

So now I've been running around my house like a headless chicken bouncing into boxes everywhere putting them back and trying to find a spot to breakdown this tank.

I'm making some progress though.

Thank you all for your responses and advice, i really appreciate it!

18 minutes ago, ChrisQ said:

This is not crazing, like shown in the second picture. It's actual seam separation (I can stick the tip of my fingernail in some of them) that travels the whole 17'' in height. The crazing appeared (not pictured) nearly instantly when the tank maker attempted a repair with Weldon-4 on a running 60'' tank. 

"Many studies have demonstrated that two conditions must be present for stress crazing to develop on the surface of an acrylic sheet: stress within the acrylic sheet and the presence of an aggressive liquid or solvent. The presence of only one of these conditions does not cause crazing. Both must be present."

http://aristechacrylics.com/wp-content/uploads/Stress_Crazing_on_Acrylic_Surfaces_and_Its_Causes_Bulletin_186.pdf

This was confirmed with some of the professionals i spoke with but quite honestly, they couldn't care less about the crazing, they were way more concerned with the seam separation and what may have caused it. Some asked me if i was near the tank, yes sir, they then asked me to go and inspect a few things, one was "is the outsides of the panels clear or dull? Dull i answered. Then was asked to run my finger down the affected seam. It felt like what i would describe as a row of speed bumps right next to each other. This is called "router chatter" The rest of the seams from end to end, everyone of them has terrible router chatter. None of them had any confidence with the integrity of the rest of the tank and was advised it will continue until ultimate failure.

Double threat: From the inside, same seam. If coralline,etc can get in there and grow, that would be seam separation.

IMG_20180607_151317520_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20180607_151551750.jpg

Tank is 3 years and 7 months old.

Seam separation started a little over the 3 year mark.

I would love to treat them for ich but the stress for the tangs would be too great at this time.

The only time i see 1-2 specks is on the yellow and was when he/she was getting too aggressive with the Kole and i would rearrange territory's once a week. They have since figured it all out and i don't have to do that anymore.

It would also not make much difference because of my rock. I can't keep all my rock fallow for the required time needed. I'm not sure how to do it to be honest. 

Thank you Jeremy! This is going to have to be my temporary solution i think.

I have 2 eheim jager heaters that i trust (as much as you can trust a heater anyway)

One problem i'll have to figure out is two powerheads, i messed up and have been using Jebao and one by one they fall. I replaced my return with a DCT15000 :doh: with Amazon, but this time i was smart enough to add a 4 year warranty. This is what i have been using as my main flow in this tank cranked all the way up from one from the last. I do have a smaller Tunze (can't remember the # of hand)  that has never let my down that's in the tank now that will probably be enough for one tub but its on the smaller side of their line. The only other is a small korilla.  I'll just have to buy another for the second tub.

My clown pair and their 30 nems will stay where they are in a 40g breeder (they can't be with other's)

I might have to steal their skimmer though but that's okay, water changes will take care of that.

I can separate the two Radions but only have one hanging kit but i suppose i can set them on a sheet of egg crate, they both have 120° lens kits in them.

If i can find a spot for them side by side i could also swap the reactor every couple days (Purigen/Phosguard

This could not have come at a worse time, i was currently in the process of rebuilding/overhauling one of my racing ATV's and could not find a necessary part for, temporary insanity ensued and i emptied half my garage and shop into my home, yep, house mates were not to happy, but i found the magical part!

So now I've been running around my house like a headless chicken bouncing into boxes everywhere putting them back and trying to find a spot to breakdown this tank.

I'm making some progress though.

Thank you all for your responses and advice, i really appreciate it!

I have a power head in box I think too, always keep a spare.  LMK.  You will need a truck to pick these guys up, I am around tonight and tomorrow.  Might have a spare heater too, can dig around in the reef pile if you need.  You can PM me and we can exchange cell numbers.

Wishing you the best, so stressful!  Livestock does not love living in stock tanks, but it is less stress than a complete move for sure.  You won't have your skimmer and dosing etc etc.  

Good luck and sorry!

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys so much, right now i'm talking with a childhood friend trying to figure out how to pickup the stock tanks from Jeremy, he drives a newer Blazer and i have a Toyota ext cab but it keeps blowing the 15a EFI fuse on start, so i have a short somewhere that's been proving difficult to locate.

The friend has no flatbed trailer's but my wheels are turning because we have a single and a tandem jet ski trailer.  

Jeremy, if you took two containers and stacked them, what would the rough dimensions be?

No rush, just trying to figure out if we can clear out the back of the Blazer and fit them in there safe and secure. More than likely he won't be able to help though.

My rusty gears are running in overdrive at the moment thinking, i'll figure it out though. :thumbs:

1 minute ago, ChrisQ said:

Thank you guys so much, right now i'm talking with a childhood friend trying to figure out how to pickup the stock tanks from Jeremy, he drives a newer Blazer and i have a Toyota ext cab but it keeps blowing the 15a EFI fuse on start, so i have a short somewhere that's been proving difficult to locate.

The friend has no flatbed trailer's but my wheels are turning because we have a single and a tandem jet ski trailer.  

Jeremy, if you took two containers and stacked them, what would the rough dimensions be?

No rush, just trying to figure out if we can clear out the back of the Blazer and fit them in there safe and secure. More than likely he won't be able to help though.

My rusty gears are running in overdrive at the moment thinking, i'll figure it out though. :thumbs:

I will go measure Chris, just a sec...

• Thanks 1

A trailer with some tie downs will work for sure.  You could probably get these into any SUV or mini van with the seats down as well.  They are not too crazy big, but big enough you don't want to drive all this way for nothing!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheClark said:

A trailer with some tie downs will work for sure.  You could probably get these into any SUV or mini van with the seats down as well.  They are not too crazy big, but big enough you don't want to drive all this way for nothing!

Great! He is busy moving dirt right now and can't really speak with him about any of this at the moment but i will get back to you as soon as he and i talk about it. Knowing him for over 25 years he'll still give me a cartoon like look. He's kinda against me being in this hobby, but i'm going to give it a shot anyways.

Thanks again!

36 minutes ago, ChrisQ said:

Great! He is busy moving dirt right now and can't really speak with him about any of this at the moment but i will get back to you as soon as he and i talk about it. Knowing him for over 25 years he'll still give me a cartoon like look. He's kinda against me being in this hobby, but i'm going to give it a shot anyways.

Thanks again!

No worries, good luck!  They are just sitting here, available when you need them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheClark said:

No worries, good luck!  They are just sitting here, available when you need them.

Unfortunately, he will not be able to help transport. 

I'm looking into the next solution now.

I have a solid 40g breeder so far in my collection that's trustworthy.

Edited by ChrisQ

15 hours ago, ChrisQ said:

"

yeesh - yeah that's a lot more than crazing! Hard to see from those first photos. 

I feel your pain though - I was one of the last people to get a tank from Tenecor. I set up the new 240 and about 2 weeks later had crazing along all the seams, which is pretty quick. I called Tenecor and found out they were out of business and, because I put the deposit down months before, it was past the credit card charge-back time frame. Had a local acrylic tank maker come out and look and he was basically 'get the water out of that immediately.' lol. And that's how a pet store down the street sold a 180 in about 2minutes.

I love the look of acrylic though - and man, being able to life and move a 240 with just one other person is great...but scary when you start to see any edge become dynamic. 

Good luck with it all.

• Thanks 1

Hey Chris - I have a smaller tank with stand, sump, return and skimmer you could borrow. It’s about 31 x 18 x 14 tall. It’s divided  into 5 chambers like a store holding tank. Meant to set up as a qt but never got around to it. Probably have a light you could make work as well. Let me know. 

7F1FBFA7-2BE0-4418-A7F6-4E32ED219B63.jpeg

8689307B-4BF6-4627-AFC8-C3C256B0C201.jpeg

• Thanks 1