Rasta zoas shrinking???

NateDawg

So this really odd thing is happening, I have about 30ish separate zoa/paly colonies in my tank and they are all doing very well except for one variety, I have rastas in two places, a colony on the frag rack and one on the zoa garden I put together. Both of them have shrunken polyps, not closed but just very shrunken polyps, and I just have no idea why they are shrinking, especially when both of them are doing the same thing and none of the other 29 varieties are having issues... Any thoughts/experiences?

• Like 1

Well being Rastas, they are extremely temperamental to begin with, but my guess is it has everything to do with the intensity of your lighting. Move them to a shaded area and see if they begin to extend and widen up a bit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I be had them in there for about 2ish months and they have been doing really well this whole time. One of the two is more shaded than the other too. Since I've had them for that long with no issue, would they all of a sudden not like the light? I haven' changed the light settings once since I put them them in there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I be had them in there for about 2ish months and they have been doing really well this whole time. One of the two is more shaded than the other too. Since I've had them for that long with no issue, would they all of a sudden not like the light? I haven' changed the light settings once since I put them them in there.

I don't think its a matter of "Not" liking the light but having more than sufficient light. I have several "High End" Zoas myself and what I have noticed with the majority is they are all extremely small. Though if some aren't getting enough light, they tend to extend and their diameter seems to increase, while others under direct light stay as small as I have them. It's just a thought, I'm not positive but that would be my 1st impression.

• Like 2

I agree it's most likely too much light. Just like other corals you may not see the effects immediately but only after prolonged exposure. My rastas tend to like a higher flow lower light area. Also check your parameters. I don't test regularly but the minute my rastas and blondies close up it's usually because the alk has dropped.

• Like 2

I would agree. Lighting, then check your parameters. And sometimes they just melt after being super happy. If they do melt just let me know and I’ll get you another frag man!

Sent while trying to get my next coral fix.....

• Like 1