ID?

nrc

4 hours ago, nrc said:

If I go with a wrasse - which one?   My primary concern is not wanting anything to bully the clowns, secondary would be eating coral.  

Possum, Yellow Corris,  Tanaka - any preference?

(Note to self* I'll want to put an egg crate or something on top of the tank if I get one.  I hear they are jumpers)

I tried to help you answer this the best i could.

Pros/Cons to a coris?

Pros: Nudi's are DEAD! With prejudice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cons:

As they get bigger, even perhaps younger ones, All your inverts are in danger. Your snails, hermits and shrimp. They will flip over smaller rocks and frags hunting ALL day. Again, much like many others

They, like all Wrasses can be a candidate for a jumper.

Require's a sand bed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the next ones i would semi-suggest would be a Six-line.

Pros/Cons to a Six-line?

Pros:

Does not require a sand bed.

Once woken up and climbs out of his/her mucus sleeping bag somewhere in the rock work

goes on the hunt ALL day long and never stops hunting.

Has a mouth so incredibly small IMO is a excellent candidate for the newly hatched nudi's from egg clusters (if they develop as taste for them) that might be viewed as a pod at that point.

Any potential red planaria flatworm problem will not have a chance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cons:

Absolutely a crazy aggressive fish, but fish, much like ourselves are individual's and can behave completely different then their counterpart.

I've had two Six-lines at different times, 1st was very subtle, submissive and peaceful.

The second, when one of my Tangs decides to issue a "challenge" by preforming a 180 degree turn to present his tail/scalpel (aggressive gesture) The Six-line simply turns around and squares off basically saying "Do it! I'll mess your world up"

Six-lines have been known to have the ability/aggression to kill a fish 3-4 times it's size.

Their attitude and appetite is very hit or miss.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes to your clowns, i would be more worried about any new addition before i would be worried about them (although a certain Six-line has been know to actually kill a Picasso clown pair).

Clownfish belong to the pomacentridae family which are Damselfish. Very aggressive family.

My two true percula's have killed about 7-8 of my fish over the years.

They are now in a dedicated tank.

To illustrate another view, say you want a shoal of 15 Blue/Green reef Chromis,

Rule of thumb,

Buy and QT 30 of them, and you might end up with ten or so in the end that figured it out, The rest will kill each other off. Life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do your clowns have Anemones?

Until we talk further, please read this.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167318

Edited by ChrisQ

Get a Wrasse throw it in the tank and all will be ok.  

Cons, you’ll have a new fish.

Pros, you’ll have a wrasse. 

Either do nothing and have no zoas or get a wrasse and just do dips dips dips every 3days or so.  Not much to think about on this. 

It sucks big time for anyone who has had these beautiful slugs in there tank! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flash21 said:

Get a Wrasse throw it in the tank and all will be ok.  

Cons, you’ll have a new fish.

Pros, you’ll have a wrasse. 

Either do nothing and have no zoas or get a wrasse and just do dips dips dips every 3days or so.  Not much to think about on this. 

It sucks big time for anyone who has had these beautiful slugs in there tank! 

So very true it made my full body twitch.

Also i would rather replace my clean up crew and shrimp looooong before i would want to start replacing my zoa collection any day of the week.

Like i said before, be proactive and you'll be more then fine.

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1

I swear i'm going to get me one of those "I'm a wrasse man" shirts! :tongue:

I will never have a tank running again that does not have fish in it that doesn't have a specific job to do.

99% are still eye candy.

With things like this yes, sometimes there is no room for sugar coatings. Sorry about that but....

Trust me, none here will or try to be harsh on you but, sometimes things needs to be driven home and get straight to a solution asap.

I hope you find your solution soon and as pain-free as possible.

The question if your clowns have a nem is a little important as it will make them 2-3 times as aggressive and will make it harder to add a new addition.

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1