Mini mangrove refugium or Zoanthid tank, or both?

NateDawg

Gunna experiment here with something fun and a bit new. I was scrounging around and found some acrylic sheets and some plumbing fittings and decided to make a 1 gallon mini cube DT. It will have water pumped from the sump of my main tank into this one then back though the bulkhead and will be mounted on the wall next to the main DT. Now the question is, should I make this into a small single red mangrove refuge (which would increase nutrient export and increase copopods which equals more food for the ruby red dragonet), or make this into a really cool little zoa/paly mini tank... I'm split between the two.

20180530_224733.jpg

• Like 1

Ooh that would be cool! I already have a really decent refugium with chato in it and a protein skimmer, so the mangrove was more for the aesthetics and a refuge for copopods. I'm diggin the clown and anemone idea, but wouldn't that be too small?

12 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I was thinking that but the way I'd have to set it up, there'd have to be two pumps working and I'm tryna get away with one right now

Hmmm, the way i saw it in my head at the time was the "main" being slightly higher then the second and maybe a little offset if necessary, cutting and welding small pieces for a water channel and let gravity do it's job, one pump, one valve. Heck i even have a 1'' gate valve. Well maybe a small ball valve pump side to tune the flow better.

Mangroves on top and the flow from the gravity feed will keep a zoa garden perfectly happy i would think. 

But if you want to go the nem route, i have about 29 Rainbow bubble tips some very small, with your clown question, they are a fish that never goes very far from their nem/home so the don't require a lot of space but i think that is a bit small even for a clown long term.

Edited by ChrisQ

Good info!, thanks! Well I'll keep posting update pics of it and if it looks good enough, would be cool to see others trying out the micro tank too! I got this one all set up and now has water moving though it. Now time to build the light and fixture... I think I'm gunna try going with one mangrove in the back and a small mixed colony of some really unique zoas/palys. Does anyone know of a place to get a red mangrove propagule or an already sprouted one that's been sprouted in a reef tank salinity? From what I've read, they can be tricky moving them from different salinities to new ones after they've put out roots and such. I' be also looking for some zoa/paly varieties, mainly stratosphere, hallucination, night fury, darth mauls, solar circus, and or krakatoas. The stratospheres especially.

20180601_232725.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got the light for the tank set up, and rock live rock in as well. Found some really nice pieces of pukani from the Premium Aquarium shop, definitely a big thanks them! I think I need to change around some of the colors as I only have royal blue right now. What do you guys run? I'm looking for the florescent look but right now I think it's a bit too harsh blue.

20180610_200448.jpg

20180610_200441.jpg

20180610_200435.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Vance164 said:

anymore updates on this?

I don't have any recent ones at the moment as I am at work, but I will snap some shots when the lights are on next. I added some whites to the light fixture and a few zoas, a mangrove sapling, 2 peppermint shrimp, a blue legged hermit crab and a tuxedo urchin. The pic here is from a couple months ago.

20180813_183400.jpg

• Like 1