What's your favorite SPS/LPS Coral

lewisriverfisherman

This is currently my favorite piece I have in my tank. The polyp extension is ridiculous, base tissue is very similarly colored to rr orange passion. Polyps appear to be gaining greens and yellows more in the last week. Guess we will see what it turns out to do! IMG_20180522_133735.thumb.jpg.04afbacea84c9bb5835f5d15e5e2d992.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

This is currently my favorite piece I have in my tank. The polyp extension is ridiculous, base tissue is very similarly colored to rr orange passion. Polyps appear to be gaining greens and yellows more in the last week. Guess we will see what it turns out to do! IMG_20180522_133735.thumb.jpg.04afbacea84c9bb5835f5d15e5e2d992.jpg

That's a hairy lil bugger!😀

• Thanks 1

So hard to pick just one !

Of course, our beloved OBT (dead)

IMG_0036_zps602ff9e7.JPG

trachyphyllia geoffroyi/radiata That's a whole piece of krill btw 3/4 the size of my little finger in it's mouth!

DSC02956_zpsbbvrewxx.JPG

Dragon Soul Favia (Dead) Need replacement :rolleyes:

IMG_4604-001_zps4b35f143.JPG

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

That's a hairy lil bugger!😀

Its by far the most pe I've ever seen on any acro. The only way I really see base tissue is while I'm blowing off corals to help try to keep fighting my ongoing aefw battle.

2 hours ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

Its by far the most pe I've ever seen on any acro. The only way I really see base tissue is while I'm blowing off corals to help try to keep fighting my ongoing aefw battle.

Yeah that OBT was a special one, i got it from Danik and it shined and as you can see in the other acros in the background that was during my battle with AEFW ( was not aware at the time) too and sadly they finally got the tort :flamemad:

I have a pretty intense dislike for them. 

I hear ya man. I can regularly be caught yelling profanities at the aefw while dipping on Saturday's. Theyve taken out a $2500 frag pack now, Im on the verge of literally setting my tank on fire. I had 2 weeks of not finding a single one, but last week there were tons when I dipped.👿

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

I hear ya man. I can regularly be caught yelling profanities at the aefw while dipping on Saturday's. Theyve taken out a $2500 frag pack now, Im on the verge of literally setting my tank on fire. I had 2 weeks of not finding a single one, but last week there were tons when I dipped.👿

Keep your hammers swingin and don't let your meatloaf :thumbs:

An old Hawaiian retaliative said that to me as i was leaving one day and somehow i knew what he mean't by it.

Edited by ChrisQ

7 hours ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

Man that's an investment :shock:. Was my suggestion that far out of the question in a severe loss like that? Literally cutting every colony and scraping/killing away ANY remaining encrustment in the rock work and starving and siphoning them out until eradicated? Continuing your dipping routine in QT.

Then sadly start over with what you've saved. They shall encrust again!

When the time comes when it should be ready again a couple $15 sacrificial lambs should do.

(Can't believe i just said that) :unsure:

I've never seen a FTS of your tank so i can only imagine if it's a really mature tank i can understand it would be really hard to make that call.

Vicious little monsters.

Ive still got about 20-24 different acros. About 10 of which are encrusted colonies that seem to be resistant to the aefw. Ive actually got a multiple stage quarantine setup im in the midst of acquiring equipment for to be setup after I move. 2 stages dedicated for acro frags to sit in each stage for 60 days at a time, while receiving Bayer dips weekly. 1 additional setup will be used for wild colonies while they de-stress a bit before chopping frags off. I spoke with the person that sold me my ultra high end pack, and they said they would happily help me out with another due to how terrible my situation has ended up. One of many reasons I love dealing with good people off of forums vs a fish store, or vendor. Retail value on the 18 frags I got would have totaled well over 4-5k. I felt like a terrible person watching all of them get eaten like a rare delicacy. The day I get the first stage of my frag tank ready I'll be ordering another identical pack so hopefully I'll be better prepared when those get here. I've started hunting for good vendors for unique and colorful wild/mariculture colonies as well. Would be interested to hear of anywhere you guys recommend for that.

1 hour ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

Ive still got about 20-24 different acros. About 10 of which are encrusted colonies that seem to be resistant to the aefw. Ive actually got a multiple stage quarantine setup im in the midst of acquiring equipment for to be setup after I move. 2 stages dedicated for acro frags to sit in each stage for 60 days at a time, while receiving Bayer dips weekly. 1 additional setup will be used for wild colonies while they de-stress a bit before chopping frags off. I spoke with the person that sold me my ultra high end pack, and they said they would happily help me out with another due to how terrible my situation has ended up. One of many reasons I love dealing with good people off of forums vs a fish store, or vendor. Retail value on the 18 frags I got would have totaled well over 4-5k. I felt like a terrible person watching all of them get eaten like a rare delicacy. The day I get the first stage of my frag tank ready I'll be ordering another identical pack so hopefully I'll be better prepared when those get here. I've started hunting for good vendors for unique and colorful wild/mariculture colonies as well. Would be interested to hear of anywhere you guys recommend for that.

Ouch.  That is pretty depressing Taylor.  Glad you supplier is willing/able to help out with a reboot.  Sounds like you have a solid plan in place for the new system.  Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

Ouch.  That is pretty depressing Taylor.  Glad you supplier is willing/able to help out with a reboot.  Sounds like you have a solid plan in place for the new system.  Good luck!

It's been a depressing few months for sure. I was shocked at how willing they were to help me out. They've already got my replacement frags cut and healing, and are giving me a massive discount on them. It's pretty much the best news I've gotten in the last few months. Lol. The new process for additions should prevent anything getting into my display again. With as much as I've already dumped into the new build I've been planning, I can't afford anymore high end coral losses, and definitely not allowing another catastrophic mistake slip through the cracks. Sorry for the threadjack Brandon!

LPS are my favorite corals.  My two favorites are my dendro and sun coral!   I adore the dendro because they're always open and fat and happy.  I adore the sun coral because when they're open and fat and happy (night time, happily fed) they have a distinct look to them.  Top photo is dendro.  Bottom photo is sun coral.20180603_142027.jpg

"20180603_142042.jpg

Edited by MrsBret
Add photo info
  • Like 2