Quinn's RSR 450 Build

R-3

So a couple months ago I came across a smoking deal on a Red Sea Reefer 450. I had just setup a Marineland 150 but I kept looking at the 450 I had sitting in the garage. The plan was to part out the 450 to make some money on. So I quickly sold off a good chunk of the collector end livestock that came with the tank. After I recouped about 50% of my money back I decided to keep the 450 and set it up. I moved my gun safe in my office and opened up a nice 6' section of wall for the tank. I leak tested the tank for a couple weeks and finally filled it up with saltwater at the end of last week. I then added Carib Sea Seafloor Special live sand and the exisiting rock that came with the tank. I haven't decided if Im gonna keep the rockwork the way it is or change it up a bit. I might shrink up the left side possibly in the future.

Here is the equipment that came with the tank and I am using - 

Red Sea Reefer 450

3 AI Prime HD's

Simplicity 320 DC Skimmer

Current Eflux 6009 return 

It also came with a pair of Koralias I am going to replace with my IceCap 3K Gyre. Im also on the fence about keeping the primes or running a few Hydra 26's. The Primes really do light up the tank surprisingly and everything looked awesome under those lights from the previous owner. I will be using a old school Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper to control my tank

Livestock wise there will be a pair of snowflake clowns, 3 blue-green chromis, sixline wrasse and a purple firefish that will come from my 40 breeder frag tank into the display. Still deciding on what other fish I want to add. I will mainly be keeping a mix of LPS, zoas, a few montis and softies in this tank.  Just added my Dr TIm's One and Only tonight so hopefully I can transfer everything over soon

77607275-80B1-42A6-B73F-C18798F410B9.jpeg

30C5388D-E6BE-481E-8580-C56FF7AB3754.jpeg

Edited by R-3
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, freddyk said:

An empty electrical socket next to a reef tank? This must be photoshop.

I know lol! I should be good with the Red Sea power bar and my PB4 one one outlet behind the tank

6 hours ago, CrazyInside said:

Awesome! Looks like we are at about the same time frame, I'm also doing the tims one and only cycle on my 350!

Defiantly following along

Nice dude! They are just beautiful tanks. I was very impressed with how easy the setup was with this tank. Do you have a build thread? I’ll have to check it out if so

9 minutes ago, R-3 said:

I know lol! I should be good with the Red Sea power bar and my PB4 one one outlet behind the tank

Nice dude! They are just beautiful tanks. I was very impressed with how easy the setup was with this tank. Do you have a build thread? I’ll have to check it out if so

Yeah they are, I just stare at it empty every night when I get home haha. But it’s almost taking ammonia down to 0 in 24 hours so I’m getting close, the Tim’s cycle is pretty quick!

build thread 

• 2 weeks later...

So while the tank cycles for awhile I’m going to be playing with some lighting options.  I just snagged an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture. I have 3 AI Prime HD's and 3 standard Hydra 26s. Just need to figure out which one is my better option. Im going to be keeping LPS, softies and a few montis so my light demands shouldn't be too crazy. When BRS tested the fixture there were really good results with the Primes. Here is the video. What is everyones thoughts?

467A32E8-EC8B-4612-BFC0-4B65653BF9BD.jpeg

B7AFD41A-531C-46AB-A451-1EC5D17DAB41.jpeg

1BE87BF0-D8A3-4F20-AB80-6286A60A59BC.jpeg

Edited by R-3
  • Like 1

Maybe use the t5 and all six of the small lights. Japanese reefers do this cool thing with their tanks where each piece/colony has a dedicated light shining on it. You could use all of the hydras and primes and tweak the spectrums to bring out the colors of individual corals. Run something like a coral plus or something very white on the front t5 to highlight the colors of your fish. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xmas_one said:

Maybe use the t5 and all six of the small lights. Japanese reefers do this cool thing with their tanks where each piece/colony has a dedicated light shining on it. You could use all of the hydras and primes and tweak the spectrums to bring out the colors of individual corals. Run something like a coral plus or something very white on the front t5 to highlight the colors of your fish. 

Totally, the use of light cannons to make specific pieces pop is an awesome trend.  I was talking to Steve about that a couple of months back... on bigger tanks where you have show pieces being able to dial in the light color to accentuate individual corals is really cool.

• Like 1

I want one of those aquatic life hybrid lights to use with my hydra 26 HD’s. The leds just don’t give me the “brightsness” a t5 fixture does.

Just like my reefer 350 sleekness to much though to add that bulky thing over my tank, might go for it though once I see how yours looks!

The Primes will be all you need, but in reality it doesn't hurt to use the Hydra's instead as they can be dialed way down, and if your lighting needs demand more in the future with SPS, you have the option already available to you without having to buy new fixtures.

• 4 weeks later...

On 6/6/2018 at 7:25 PM, Krux said:

Totally, the use of light cannons to make specific pieces pop is an awesome trend.  I was talking to Steve about that a couple of months back... on bigger tanks where you have show pieces being able to dial in the light color to accentuate individual corals is really cool.

Im thinking now I could possibly acheive a little of this with several AI primes maybe?

On 6/6/2018 at 9:20 PM, CrazyInside said:

I want one of those aquatic life hybrid lights to use with my hydra 26 HD’s. The leds just don’t give me the “brightsness” a t5 fixture does.

Just like my reefer 350 sleekness to much though to add that bulky thing over my tank, might go for it though once I see how yours looks!

Im at that point right now. Bought it and then now I dont wanna hang it. I really like the look of the goosenecks on the primes. Might sell it 😞

On 6/6/2018 at 11:42 PM, Exodus said:

The Primes will be all you need, but in reality it doesn't hurt to use the Hydra's instead as they can be dialed way down, and if your lighting needs demand more in the future with SPS, you have the option already available to you without having to buy new fixtures.

Thats true! Im thinking of just adding a couple more prime across the tank

Edited by R-3

On 6/6/2018 at 6:19 PM, xmas_one said:

The spotlight thing is pretty cool. Might look a little weird with a ton of lights hangin around the tank lol

Sorry guys been a little too busy to update this thread. Looks like I am fully cycled. Tank has been sitting for a couple weeks.  Just been super busy and leaving last minute for Omaha last week put it off another week lol. Still haven’t figured out what I’m doing with lights yet. I bought that aquatic life hybrid  fixture but really don’t want to have anything hanging above the tank I don’t think. Might just invest in a couple more and AI primes. Put a  neon green toadstool today. If that is OK I plan on transferring everything else hopefully really soon.

33C9C921-B26F-4398-902F-C5E7B6DAB1D0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little update:

Test corals look good! Zoas, toadstool and GSP are all happy and open. This week I need to do a water change and figure out flow. Thinking of running my IceCap gyre on one end of the tank but not sure about the other. Here’s a pic

11D2B22E-D5D5-47F5-AE0E-63E7A4B997C9.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Little update! Got everything transferred over from my 40G frag tank into the RSR450. Everything has been pretty happy. Finally have my Simplicity 320 skimmer dialed in after never really finding the sweet spot. Even added a clean up crew from Cuttlesfish and a ReefGen Goniopora from Andy. Still need to get the final rockwork done and get some corals mounted. Probably wait till after Macna!!!

415514A8-5FB2-4757-BFD1-6155E072CC4F.jpeg

256227AF-4E3A-4411-BFF7-E7B63C903AB0.jpeg

Edited by R-3
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...