Heaters (colbalt)

Flash21

12 hours ago, Flash21 said:

Well every heater is under 100 so what’s your point never to heat a tank?

Sorry for the late reply I slipped off to bed early last night. So I used the $100 value for that specific purpose to cover all Hobby grade Aquarium heaters that are in a glass or Titanium or Plastic tube that slips in the Aquarium for the purpose of keeping the temperature suitable for fish. Regardless if you are using Cobalt, Fluval, eheim,  Marineland, Aqueon etc. They all use cheap Chinese parts that literately cost pennies to produce. This is why regardless of brand go look up reviews and you will find every brand suffering issues such as getting stuck, stray voltage, exploding, just stop working, not keeping the correct temperature etc. It's simply the nature of the beast. I personally have owned several brands of heaters over the years and all have suffered one of those fates within time, some lasted longer than others.

So then what are people using in place with more dependability is what I'm guessing is your next question? You can look up Titanium Heat Exchange or PEX Loop for a couple examples, but keep in mind these systems are usually used on much larger aquariums with a starting price in the $1000 ballpark. So without having to dump a bunch of  money, work, and time on heating systems like that it's easier to just take our chances on readily available heaters made specifically for our tanks, and in many cases I know several people who have climate controlled houses that don't bother with a heater at all and just let it fluctuate a bit. I personally have never liked the risk associated with Aquarium heaters so I used to use 2 under powered heaters that way when one failed or got stuck I had a somewhat of a backup without total disaster but that doesn't cover every issue but offers some sort of Insurance. Controllers can be viewed in a similar fashion, while it wont prevent every disaster possible they certainly do limit them, and knowing these heaters can go on the fritz at anytime I didn't mind paying for the extra insurance, and I want to make it clear that APex isn't the only, there are several options available out there, and spending a $100 or a bit more is far cheaper than replacing a tank full of corals.

• Like 1

I went through THREE of these heaters in Dawns puffy tank. They kept filling with water and breaking.

The store was like.. that is weird, they are supposed to be solid. I thoughy they were supoosed to be solid as well but....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 5/21/2018 at 6:16 AM, Exodus said:

Sorry for the late reply I slipped off to bed early last night. So I used the $100 value for that specific purpose to cover all Hobby grade Aquarium heaters that are in a glass or Titanium or Plastic tube that slips in the Aquarium for the purpose of keeping the temperature suitable for fish. Regardless if you are using Cobalt, Fluval, eheim,  Marineland, Aqueon etc. They all use cheap Chinese parts that literately cost pennies to produce. This is why regardless of brand go look up reviews and you will find every brand suffering issues such as getting stuck, stray voltage, exploding, just stop working, not keeping the correct temperature etc. It's simply the nature of the beast. I personally have owned several brands of heaters over the years and all have suffered one of those fates within time, some lasted longer than others.

So then what are people using in place with more dependability is what I'm guessing is your next question? You can look up Titanium Heat Exchange or PEX Loop for a couple examples, but keep in mind these systems are usually used on much larger aquariums with a starting price in the $1000 ballpark. So without having to dump a bunch of  money, work, and time on heating systems like that it's easier to just take our chances on readily available heaters made specifically for our tanks, and in many cases I know several people who have climate controlled houses that don't bother with a heater at all and just let it fluctuate a bit. I personally have never liked the risk associated with Aquarium heaters so I used to use 2 under powered heaters that way when one failed or got stuck I had a somewhat of a backup without total disaster but that doesn't cover every issue but offers some sort of Insurance. Controllers can be viewed in a similar fashion, while it wont prevent every disaster possible they certainly do limit them, and knowing these heaters can go on the fritz at anytime I didn't mind paying for the extra insurance, and I want to make it clear that APex isn't the only, there are several options available out there, and spending a $100 or a bit more is far cheaper than replacing a tank full of corals.

Excellent points here!  If you all want to talk about cake go to the Food Network 😀😉! I agree the heaters are made very cheaply. I have had many stop working and have used titanium ones , eheims. I like the Cobalt because at least they aren’t made of glass and I like the way they look.

As far as the cake debate , I’m more of an ice cream fan so ice cream cake gets my vote.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
So I was sitting on the bed dangling my feet thinking about my day...looked over at wife’s tank and Holy S word! The tank started bubbling and smoking.  Well I will never own. Colbalt Neo Heater again! Smells like hell!  
I’m sure glad I was home passing from living room to bed room! 
2FCD6530-B1EB-40C5-8C77-BE562C4597C5.thumb.jpeg.045100e8e8786f1c4ac97afa56f90a93.jpeg

I’ve heard this happens a lot but still bulk reef supply and marine depot say they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk