Heaters (colbalt)

Flash21

So I was sitting on the bed dangling my feet thinking about my day...looked over at wife’s tank and Holy S word! The tank started bubbling and smoking.  Well I will never own. Colbalt Neo Heater again! Smells like hell!  

I’m sure glad I was home passing from living room to bed room! 

2FCD6530-B1EB-40C5-8C77-BE562C4597C5.jpeg

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Wow good thing you were home. I have had great success with the cobalt heaters but that’s scary! Any ideas what happened ?

This is the Heater I got from you when I bought the 20 from you.   I’m not sure other then, They suck and will continue with the trusty rusty old Skool ones! 

Im making water to do a WC just Incase.  I did notice some of the corals shrinking up!  I hope I don’t lose any! 

8 minutes ago, Flash21 said:

Now that I recall...I did hear something and thought the ATO needed water.  That is what got my attention...to look in the direction of wife’s tank. 

Sorry that happened. Might want to send a note to Cobalt. They are one of our sponsors. I would agree a water change would be a good idea to be on the safe side.

So sad when that happens. I’ve only had that experience one. Smaller tank and several years ago. Came home to a terrible smell in the house. Went into my daughter’s room and her small tank was actually boiling with all the fish floating and cooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 3

I’m headed to upscales to get a new heater.  

After that another 5 Gallon WC. I’m thankful this happened when I was home.   I would hate to see the wife’s tank nuked! Would have been a lot of corals down the tube! 

Time will tell.  4 corals are 50\50 as of now.  3 flower pots and the torch 

Glad you found a brand of heater you like, just keep in mind every heater on the market below $100 made for the hobby are essentially crap made with cheap components. It's not whether they are going to fail, but "When" will they fail. I would seriously consider getting yourself some sort of Heater controller to limit if not eliminate the potential consequences. I bought my 1st Apex for the fact of Heater control, but they have much cheaper options available that are just as good.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Well every heater is under 100 so what’s your point never to heat a tank? 

I cant justify to buy three controllers as I have three tanks, ain’t gonna happen.  

Texting while groggy and just woke up don’t take this personal! 

• Haha 1

Inkbird heater controllers are about 30 bucks each on Amazon (not sure if any local shops stock them), at 90 bucks to do three tanks that is a good chunk, but so is replacing a tank full of livestock.

If you aren't planning to run a full controller this is likely the most cost-effective way to add a level of insurance to the most frequent to fail component.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flash21 said:

Well every heater is under 100 so what’s your point never to heat a tank? 

I cant justify to buy three controllers as I have three tanks, ain’t gonna happen.  

Texting while groggy and just woke up don’t take this personal! 

Wow what an [language filter] :laugh: 

Someone needs to work on his people skills :popcorn:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Krux said:

Inkbird heater controllers are about 30 bucks each on Amazon (not sure if any local shops stock them), at 90 bucks to do three tanks that is a good chunk, but so is replacing a tank full of livestock.

If you aren't planning to run a full controller this is likely the most cost-effective way to add a level of insurance to the most frequent to fail component.

I will look into this! Thanks! Much more reasonable. Thanks Krux!!!

• Like 1