Maxspect Gyre Problem

CrazyInside

Just got a new Maxspect gyre fx230, never had one before. 

From what I understand is they pull water from underneath them, but I cannot for the life of me get it to stop making a whirlpool/tornado and suck in air then blow bubbles everywhere. 

Ive tried pointing the blades up, down, straight. I see most people have them an inch or two below the water level and I can’t get it to work even 6” down. And that’s at 40%, at anything above that it’s a constant tornado pulling air. 

Am I missing something incredibly simple?

Side note, the controller on this is terrible... no idea why they thought it was good enough to release to the public haha. 

Those are the more pricey ones compared to the icecap 3k, yeah?
I have a 3k and mine is placed approx 1 1/2" below the water with no 'tornado' effect going on. Pretty darn silent and no micro bubbles.

Controllers?... Yeah, it's basic, which is good for me. I just need it to go forward and backwards with different patterns.

I like them that much, I'm going to buy a second 3k for the tank and the funny thing is, I'll have 2 icecap gyres for the price of one maxspect gyre (depending on model)....

Maybe try the icecap...?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I keep mine down lower, but it is possible to keep them up higher. It depends what % you run them at and which blades you have in (A vs. B).  If the blades are both moving water in the same direction then you should be able to have the stronger direction up and not be pulling in air when they reverse.

...I hope that makes sense...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremevans said:

I keep mine down lower, but it is possible to keep them up higher. It depends what % you run them at and which blades you have in (A vs. B).  If the blades are both moving water in the same direction then you should be able to have the stronger direction up and not be pulling in air when they reverse.

...I hope that makes sense...

I have it set just how it came out of the box right now. But the problem isn’t reverse. It makes the tornado going forward. Even if I put it at constant flow at say 40%. It makes the whirlpool. Maybe I’ll try switching the blades, I really like the idea of these so hopefully I can get this working without having it 10” down the tank haha

3 hours ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

Those are the more pricey ones compared to the icecap 3k, yeah?
I have a 3k and mine is placed approx 1 1/2" below the water with no 'tornado' effect going on. Pretty darn silent and no micro bubbles.

Controllers?... Yeah, it's basic, which is good for me. I just need it to go forward and backwards with different patterns.

I like them that much, I'm going to buy a second 3k for the tank and the funny thing is, I'll have 2 icecap gyres for the price of one maxspect gyre (depending on model)....

Maybe try the icecap...?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah I really want to like them, I’ll keep messing with it, might just replace with some mp40s if all fails. 

So just a little update. I took it apart, switched the blades to the second set and now it works perfect! 

Have it 2” below water, ramping up to 70% in random mode and no issues! 😄

Edited by CrazyInside
  • Like 2

I have the Gyre 200 models also. My tank length is 8'. I have 1 gyre on each side mounted vertically about 1" from the surface. Flowing along the front glass swirls back around the back and back to Gyre. The corals seem to really like it. I can run it at 100% no problem. Horizontal I have to make some adjustments so I don't have a sand storm. There is a A and B rotors might need to flipped around.