Is there anything else I can do to fight aefw?

Taylorhardy1

As some of you know, I've recently found myself living the worst nightmare of an acro lover. I have already lost my favorite teal/rainbow tenius colony to it, and a homewrecker frag I put in literally a day before I found the flatworms.😭 Now they've spread to heavily attacking my tri color valida, and torts. They don't seem to touch anything that has longer pe, which thankfully most all of my acros have. I have so many pieces encrusted to rocks now that even dipping is tough, and a quarantine at this point just isn't in the cards. Anyways, my current methods at brutally murdering these terrible little bastards.

1-the natural approach: I have a yellow corris wrasse, and a possum wrasse (I don't think the possum touches them though) as well as blowing all of my acros and surrounding corals off with a turkey baster or powerhead every other day. Would be interested to hear of other approaches on this front.

2- Bayer dips every 6 days: I love this approach, and I hate it. I have almost 30 different acros still, so this process takes me hours. But I enjoy knowing hundreds die everytime I do this. I'm trying to reduce cross contamination by dipping and rinsing the infected corals in different containers than the pieces that still look healthy, with great pe, and no bite marks. Mostly just to find which corals they're attacking the most. Usually don't see any flatworms on any acros other than the ones that are clearly infected. When I do it's only 1 or 2. I also inspect for, and scrape egg clusters during this process. The acros I have encrusted to rock also get dipped to the edge of encrusted tissue, and rinsed thoroughly after. 

3- keeping the corals as happy as possible, and water stability. This one has been tough. With so many angry acros my alk consumption has been all over the place and quite difficult to keep in line. However Ive been able to minimize fluctuations by just manual dosing, and daily testing. After dipping corals and rocks go back to as close to their original spot as possible. 

Is there any other approaches I can take short of a full blown qt? Ideally I'd like to reduce the frequency of dips, but I'm still finding so many after dips I'm actually considering increasing the dip frequency currently... 

4 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Sorry I don’t have any great advice to give you Taylor but hoping you pull as many through as possible - I know you accumulated a pretty nice collection before the AEFW hit.  Good luck!

It seems like most are actually pulling through fairly decently. The worst piece they took out quickly was my homewrecker. That one hurt. Annoyingly enough they're entirely uninterested in my low $$ tenius. I still tracked down, and added a few really nice acros that Ive wanted for a while and couldn't miss out on. Most things, aside from my torts and valida I think are actually doing alright it seems. Been buying cheap acro frags lately just to keep the addiction fed, and the heartbreak from losing my homewrecker to a minimum so hopefully at the very least the cheap frags I've been buying keep the fw off the rest of my higher end acros..  

Speak with Brad aka http://www.pnwmas.org/profile/13617-reefnjunkie/ 

Years ago when i found some he helped put me in the right direction quick, problem is and he'll probably tell ya is you have a lot of sps encrusted to the rock, it all needs to die.

I'm no sps expert by any means nor even keep them, but he will be able to give you solid advice and hopefully help you save what you can.

I was lucky and only had frags nothing encrusted on rock work. Like i was saying, ALL the encrusted sps needs to die/removed, frag what you can, save what you can "size"

and get very serious with a dipping schedule as you already are i see, cant remember what the interval was but basically it's like dipping ALL your newly mounted sps frags every week.

Basically the goal was taking away their food source "the encrusted bits after fragging" 

and then the repeated dips to kill them and their newly hatched until eradicated.

Weeks and weeks perhaps with a very stringent dipping routine.  

But yes Brad can explain tons better then me, wish i could be more help.

This is probably the worst thing you would want to hear, sounds like you have a nice tank with nice growth.

Good luck in the battle! I know it's tough.

Edited by ChrisQ

I went through this as well, i didnt QT because i was also moving but did get good results from dippinh twice a week. Once with bayer and once with marine melafix.

I think the big take away is this... DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN.

I set up a 20 gallon qt for like $200. The wave maker and light are the only expsnsive parts.

Now EVERYTHING i bring home gets dipped and placed in there. It is kind of funny timing as i JUST finished examining the frags i got a week ago and one of them has some type of planaria on it.

If your not willing to qt then at the VERY least, get a pait of magnifying glasses from amazon. You can see the flatworms and more importantly, their eggs very easily with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010FOSA0W/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1526697188&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=magnifying+glasses+with+light&dpPl=1&dpID=41dTtgS6h8L&ref=plSrch
d0e96db07045fec54badc0e46bf3e7ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I went through this as well, i didnt QT because i was also moving but did get good results from dippinh twice a week. Once with bayer and once with marine melafix.

I think the big take away is this... DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN.

I set up a 20 gallon qt for like $200. The wave maker and light are the only expsnsive parts.

Now EVERYTHING i bring home gets dipped and placed in there. It is kind of funny timing as i JUST finished examining the frags i got a week ago and one of them has some type of planaria on it.

If your not willing to qt then at the VERY least, get a pait of magnifying glasses from amazon. You can see the flatworms and more importantly, their eggs very easily with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010FOSA0W/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1526697188&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=magnifying+glasses+with+light&dpPl=1&dpID=41dTtgS6h8L&ref=plSrch
d0e96db07045fec54badc0e46bf3e7ed.jpg

We need a picture of you wearing those things :laugh:

Best fish I bought was a melanurus wrasse.......that thing goes straight to whatever goes into the tank and goes over it with a fine tooth comb.........I dip corals but the minute I put it in the tank that fish is circling........

I have a magnifying glass I normally inspect everything with. I'm not quite sure where they came from. Current living situation just doesn't allow time, or space for a quarantine tank. I always dip my new acros and sps in heavily concentrated Bayer dips. Then inspect for eggs, and any other pests. I know I should quarantine, and I plan on it in the future once I'm in a position where I have the space and time for it. As of right now I'm kinda looking for just good management methods to keep everything somewhat happy and alive until I can move to quarantine. Then it will be geared towards eradication.

You having problems made me google it again. Standard protocol is dips twice a week. The little buggers can swim so it is concievable that they could be waterborn when you grab frags for a dip.

The only last 5-7 days without acros to eat. What a horrible creature they are :(

• Like 1

I set up a pretty low maintenance, surplus gear QT tank a while back and the only thing I don't like about it is the Alk roller coaster that can happen depending on how much you have in there at any given time. You just have to test and hand dose to keep things in check. But well worth it in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set up a pretty low maintenance, surplus gear QT tank a while back and the only thing I don't like about it is the Alk roller coaster that can happen depending on how much you have in there at any given time. You just have to test and hand dose to keep things in check. But well worth it in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed. I have been emptying 5 gallons from my QT, and replacing it with 5 gallons from my DT in an attempt to keep it stable.

I was trying to get things out of there as fast as possible. Those buggers can be easily missed as they are completely clear. Its the eggs I worry about.

Spent 3 hours dipping, rinsing, and inspecting acros this weekend. Wasn't able to find any eggs, and after diluting the dips to as clear as possible I was surprised to find so little in them. The acros that got bitten the most appear to be healing now. Color and polyp extension seems to be coming back on most everything. Haven't seen any tissue loss recently either. Gonna keep up the current attack methods. Moving into the new place June 23, so a quarantine will be setup waiting for all my acros before the day I move the tank. Will do a 75 day quarantine just to be safe. Then rededicate the qt for any and all new corals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldenbasketreef said:

Is this why over 90% of the coral in my tank that I've had for years that i still have is GB originated, alive and thriving? 

My box of shame makes even more sense now. :( Haha!

Rudy, the lighting settings you spoke about in our May meeting is paying off! i did my best to replicate your suggestions and already i'm seeing a difference. My GB Yowsers colonies are slowly getting their multicolored look back, I've seemed to turn them completely orange with very low PAR/PUR i guess.

Hopefully you're making some progress Taylor. It's a #$@%$

But you'll get through it.

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 2

I think many people have aefw in their systems without realizing it. It's so easy for some flatworms or eggs to find their way in on a rock, frag plug, even if the rock isn't attached to an acro. I think everybody should take a Maxijet & blow off their acros every so often. Many would be surprised, I suspect. This guy who had a tank of the month on Reef Central awhile back swears by this method. He says he's fallowed & dipped & "eliminated' aefw a few different times, but they always make it back in. So he just blows them off periodically & keeps a lot of wrasses & everything grows well & stays healthy. https://reefbum.com/pests/dealing-with-red-bugs-and-aefw/