Sometimes you forget to check Alk for two weeks

I've honestly been checking alkalinity less and less lately. Didn't really notice I'd gone two weeks without checking it. 180gal full of SPS colonies. I was a bit nervous when I realized it'd been so long, but the tank has been relatively stable lately. Turns out it dropped 1 kH. I think mostly because my reactor is using up media and I don't have a controller. I just run it 24/7 with a constant bubble rate. As media is used up, I feel like the reactor's output goes down. Whenever I refill, I always notice a little climb in alk.

Anyway, just glad to see it in an acceptable range. Worst case scenario I just create more skeletons to feed the reactor [emoji6][emoji6]

54f187043cc3d51058f07b445a13d936.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I have a horrific shoe box of skeletons to help ya out :laugh:

Thats awesome your system is so stable, a drop of only 1dkh in 2 weeks! Wow!

I wish i had a calcium reactor :tongue:

The constant testing and dosing 2-part for years has been slowly killing it for me.

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 3

What app are you using to track it?
It's called Aquarium Logger. It's super basic and I'm sure there are better ones, but I only need to record alk so I don't need anything fancy. You can record all kinds of parameters and graph trends if you're in to that kind of thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ChrisQ said:

I have a horrific shoe box of skeletons to help ya out :laugh:

Thats awesome your system is so stable, a drop of only 1dkh in 2 weeks! Wow!

I wish i had a calcium reactor :tongue:

The constant testing and dosing 2-part for years has been slowly killing it for me.

Haha I have this too but mine is a bucket in which I keep my shame...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't understand.. dosing 2 part is essentially the same thing as a calcium reactor... just less moving parts and things to break.  They both do the same thing..add cal and alk to the aquarium (well, a reactor should also dose some trace elements as well).   Just like a reactor, you should be able to slowly dial in the rate to match your tanks needs.  I was talking to Jeff a couple weeks back and he was telling me he switched one of the store systems to a doser and "his alk has never been more stable".   Are you not using a dosing pump?

I check my alk maybe every 6 months if that.......I run a doser and things stay real stable. If I do check alk its when I see something change. But things always s eem to look good so cant complain. I agree on the reactor its just to much for me to fathom........the doser I just keep it filled and am good.

• Like 4