Sign in to follow this  
badxgillen

June Hatfield Marine Science Center Meet 2018

We bring you another public PNWMAS announcement, the Annual summer MHSC visit is almost upon us and the day is set for this informative upcoming meeting. Last year the weather was wonderful making the trip to the Newport Coast fabulous for before and after visits up and down our west coast! Sid is doing his best to make sure we have access to their personal break area which includes an indoor and outdoor alcove with benches, picnic area, and a grill spot sporting a Weber BBQ. I recommend a potluck style event were you can bring a dish and sample others so bring something healthy, or bring something sweet, just bring something good to eat.

You all will want to save the date on the calendar for this one. 

June 30th 12:00 at the Hatfield Marine Science Center.

2030 SE Marine Science Dr, Newport, OR 97365

And for those of you who don't know the facility has had a recent overhaul a couple months back improving just about everything there is, so it should have plenty new to see even for those of us who have attended the previous years. And if all this wasn't enough reason to come out, the director Sid is going to take us to a different wing of the marine center and give us a personal hands on fish health workshop demonstration! Here are a few pics from last years killer presentation.

SAM_1787.JPG

Last year this was an amazing experience in which we learned a number of protocols implemented in a facility like the HMSC including skin scrapes, gill samples, microscope identifications, and health assessment.

SAM_1890.JPG

I mean who wouldn't want to get the knowledge and experience of this kind of nitty gritty tooth and claw kind of stuff!. There is much to see and learn here.

SAM_1947.JPG

Say AAAHHHH Mr. Wolf Eel, its time for your check up.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

• Like 6

This was loads of fun last year and the weather was perfect! Thanks Bert for getting this set up.

• Like 3

This was a lot of fun and super informative last year.  Sid and his assistant (forgot the name, sorry) did a great job and it was pretty amazing to see a hands on health check on an adult wolf eel!  The eel had been caught inadvertently and was awaiting permission for reintroduction, if I recall correctly, so was getting a a bit of "dusting and cleaning" in the meantime 😃Great example of some of the important work done at the Hatfield.  Really interested to see what the reorganization and expansion has accomplished.

• Like 2

Dang count me out again! Always wanted to see this one. But right about the time you are walking around the center, I’ll be diving off the reefs of Belize

Sent while trying to get my next coral fix.....

9 minutes ago, Paratore said:

Dang count me out again! Always wanted to see this one. But right about the time you are walking around the center, I’ll be diving off the reefs of Belize emoji41.png

As cool as this meeting will be , I think I would rather be in Belize !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paratore said:

Dang count me out again! Always wanted to see this one. But right about the time you are walking around the center, I’ll be diving off the reefs of Belize emoji41.png

Hard to feel too sorry for you here Cody!  Enjoy Belize!!!

On 5/16/2018 at 5:23 PM, theDSBlack said:

This looks like a lot of fun! Will plan on attending. 

It's a lot of fun for me to host you guys! I'm very much looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and reconnecting with you all. I'll have some 'scopes set up and will be doing some kind of animal health procedure. Those that want to glove in and help out will have the opportunity to do so, as well. After the big Visitor's Center remodel recently, my lab is in a bit of a state of transition as well, with old systems coming down and new ones currently under development.

Please come early and spend some time checking out the new VC, too! It was a major upgrade and I think it will meet with your approval. We're pretty stoked about it. I'm also looking forward to whatever culinary delights the gifted chefs in this outfit are planning for this meeting. As mentioned, there's a Weber grill available, along with ovens for reheating, fridges for storing and staging and a nice courtyard area. Who knows? I might have to throw down and bring something to contribute to the potluck as well. Might even be edible.

See you soon! 🍺:crab:

Sid

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dang count me out again! Always wanted to see this one. But right about the time you are walking around the center, I’ll be diving off the reefs of Belize

We will be diving in Belize this year but not until late December. One of our stops on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I'm going to try to make it again this year. We have guests in town that weekend, but I might convince them we should all head to Newport. 

Did the eel that had to be put under to feed end up getting released?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeremevans said:

Did the eel that had to be put under to feed end up getting released?

Nope. That animal is currently on exhibit and looking very good! Thanks for asking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Nope. That animal is currently on exhibit and looking very good! Thanks for asking.

I was wondering what happened to him. I recall you trying to find a home but we’re having a hard time and release required specific permission. Glad to hear he is doing well. 

Hey folks!

If anyone needs formerly live rock to clean, cure and incorporate into your systems and you're planning on coming to HMSC in just a few weeks(!) , bring totes, buckets, clothes baskets and any other storage bins and load up while you're here. I have 200-300 pounds to liquidate, as, sorry to report, those tropical marine exhibits and holding systems have been taken down over the last several months due to budgetary/coverage considerations. As we all know, coral systems need a lot of extra time and money to maintain properly (especially if they are an exhibit) and these considerations ran right into the cold reality of budgetary constraints triggered by the recent remodel.

No one wanted these exhibits to go away, myself least of all, but no one wanted to allocate the funding to rebuild the systems or the infrastructure necessary for long-term success. So, here we are. I won't rule out the possibility for one or two coral exhibits sometime down the road (and I was really, really looking forward to building and maintaining an LPS system in my lab in the West Wing) but for now, the die is cast. If you've been jonesing for a bunch of live rock for an existing or upcoming system, please swing by on the 30th and load up!

See you then!

Sid

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Hey folks!

If anyone needs formerly live rock to clean, cure and incorporate into your systems and you're planning on coming to HMSC in just a few weeks(!) , bring totes, buckets, clothes baskets and any other storage bins and load up while you're here. I have 200-300 pounds to liquidate, as, sorry to report, those tropical marine exhibits and holding systems have been taken down over the last several months due to budgetary/coverage considerations. As we all know, coral systems need a lot of extra time and money to maintain properly (especially if they are an exhibit) and these considerations ran right into the cold reality of budgetary constraints triggered by the recent remodel.

No one wanted these exhibits to go away, myself least of all, but no one wanted to allocate the funding to rebuild the systems or the infrastructure necessary for long-term success. So, here we are. I won't rule out the possibility for one or two coral exhibits sometime down the road (and I was really, really looking forward to building and maintaining an LPS system in my lab in the West Wing) but for now, the die is cast. If you've been jonesing for a bunch of live rock for an existing or upcoming system, please swing by on the 30th and load up!

See you then!

Sid

Thanks for letting us know Sid.  Sad to hear that these ultimately came down.  BTW - what happened to the livestock?  I recall there being a lot of yellow tangs in one of those setups.

2 hours ago, albertareef said:

Thanks for letting us know Sid.  Sad to hear that these ultimately came down.  BTW - what happened to the livestock?  I recall there being a lot of yellow tangs in one of those setups.

Good question. Those fishes and corals went to colleagues in Portland, Detroit and Shreveport. I never lost sight of the fact that many of those corals and a few of the fish came to us by donation and felt a deep sense of responsibility to ensure that they would continue to be looked after by pros that I know personally. After they pass quarantine in each of those facilities, they will be on exhibit again, delighting people from all over the world. The legacy of this organization's generosity from over five years ago lives on and the reach of it has expanded significantly. Props to you all!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Good question. Those fishes and corals went to colleagues in Portland, Detroit and Shreveport. I never lost sight of the fact that many of those corals and a few of the fish came to us by donation and felt a deep sense of responsibility to ensure that they would continue to be looked after by pros that I know personally. After they pass quarantine in each of those facilities, they will be on exhibit again, delighting people from all over the world. The legacy of this organization's generosity from over five years ago lives on and the reach of it has expanded significantly. Props to you all!

Thank you for the follow up Sid.  I knew they would be well taken care of but was curious where they ultimately landed.  Good to know that they will be returning to exhibits again to honor the original educational intent - thank you again for working hard to make that happen. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the exhibits shutting down and funding cuts. 

Sid It's a generous offer to give us rock.  I will make sure to bring something to put some rock in for TFT(to help out if no one minds) and maybe a few pieces for me as well.  I can't wait to come there at the end of the month, it's going to be fun!

• Like 3

Bumping this to the top. The next meeting is only a couple of days away.  Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day at the coast, 60's and sunshine 

Looking forward to this meeting :clap:

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, lewisriverfisherman said:

Sorry to hear about the exhibits shutting down and funding cuts. 

Sid It's a generous offer to give us rock.  I will make sure to bring something to put some rock in for TFT(to help out if no one minds) and maybe a few pieces for me as well.  I can't wait to come there at the end of the month, it's going to be fun!

Meant to mention that this is a really nice idea.  Having some rock to help get TFT tanks off the ground would be nice - especially if someone were able to cycle it ahead of time.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 12:09 PM, IntoTheMystic said:

Hey folks!

See you then!

Sid

I could definitely use some rock for my existing system. Been wanting to add smaller rocks here and there and some rocks in the refugium could probably use 20-40 lbs depending on the pieces. 

Well then, this dovetails nicely with the shameless plug/reminder I was planning on posting this afternoon.

For those that want and/or need formerly live rock, please make sure to remember to bring your totes, milk crates, bus tubs, dumpsters and other vessels to convey them! There might also be a few tanks available of different sizes looking for new homes.

See you all tomorrow at 12 for the meeting. If you'd like to come early and check out the Visitor's Center remodel, and it's a huge improvement lemme tell ya, the VC opens at 10 a.m.

See you all tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

I am going to try and be there a tad early to take it all in, provided weekend coast traffic isn't too bad, it is looking to be a really nice day ahead of us.

See you all there.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By badxgillen
      Where does the time go? It is February already, and that means there is another upcoming PNWMAS meet. This time we have something special for you, our comedic and ingenuitive member PDXMonkeyboy has been gracious enough to host a full blown frag swap at his home in Portland Oregon! In addition to the free for all coral exchanging we will have a tank onsite to float frags and a coral sale to benefit the Tanks For Teachers program.
      This means there will be corals of all sorts, from all over, at one place! for trade, for sale, and even maybe just for free if you get that winning raffle ticket. This also means you all might want to get ready for the event by seeing what you may have to offer up and what you may be looking for to fill that empty spot in your home aquarium. I will post up one of those ever so popular Frag Trading threads here
      http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/topic/44400-frag-swap-thread-february-2019/
      so we can keep this thread to our regular banter and various updates as they come through.
      When- February 24th 1:00 PM.
      Where- Portland Oregon 917 SW palatine street
      Parking:  There is a long looping driveway and a parking area next to the house.  You can park in the street or anywhere in the driveway.  There will likely just be shuffling when its time to go.
      Our PNWMAS club will provide some refreshments and some delectable local pizza for those who attend.  

So get those frag racks out and filled up then stay tuned, this is gonna be a good one!

• By badxgillen
      The first meet of the year of 2019 was held a the Upscales Saltwater and Reptile pet store located in Tualatin Oregon, and boy was it a riot!!!
      It had been about a year since I was last in the Upscales store and things were looking better than ever! A new back coral system that I had yet to see was full of colorful goodies, and the rest of the store was just as awesome as I always remember it. Cool corals and vibrant fish tucked into every corner of the shop, YES!
      Not just frags here in this shop but many many colonies as well. I have made a few great purchases from this store by just simply sharing the costs and breaking a colony apart. Win Win in my book right there. In fact were talking a little about an Upscales Grow Out in the future perhaps, no shortage of jewels here.

Everything was so crisp and clean, I was certainly impressed, as usual. So many corals and so little space, love how the corals each get their own little bungalows.

I couldn't help myself but to walk away with some killer coral, JeremEvans and I went in on a colony of a gold Millipora and a go at the Echinata Acropora.

Travis packing up some goodies on the right here and Kelly Limpit getting the merchandise. The Upscales team was outstanding at their job and never skipped a beat of fish netting and coral bagging fun. And believe me, there was a ton of fun.

As you can guess it didn't take long for the socializing to get started and the party to get lively. I have to point out again how organized and clean the facility was, open isles and stocked shelves were very nice. I could look at corals and dry goods all while being in a conversation with my peers.

In this pic we have far left Jeremevans our club treasurer, middle- LewisFisherman from our Board Of Directors, and right-Gumby also one of our outstanding B.O.D. Jim here always has something interesting to talk about and once again this meeting is no exception. A little coral chat with the boys I see. I will see about setting aside a couple frags of those Acros I was talking about and we will see if they color up some more. Gotta Share the Love.

Youcallmeny and his daughter sitting in the full blown 20,000 Kelvin and actinics blaring out of the surounding reef tanks. Youcallmeny is another one of our awesome PNWMAS Board Of Directors helping behind the scenes when he can.

A change of the blue actinics to back outside. Here we have ZorroReef with a few primo mushroom frags. You got me sold on looking into some of the finer shroom specimens. Now I have to save my money or break my piggy bank, for soft corals those can get pretty spendy man. And I though my Acros were costly.

One of the highlights of this meeting was that SuncrestReef here brought his microscope along with n attachment meant for holding a cell phone. This meant that you could take pictures and or video of the subjects very easily. This here is a copepod being put on the glass and under the scope.

As you can see the system worked flawlessly, the quality was very good, and allowed fro some amazing shots.

Here is the tip claw of one of the legs, our microcosm is so fascinating. I might lose a lot of my free time in a microscope unit like this if I had one, it would be like my own nature show right in my home living room.

Thank You so much for bringing this in and letting us all get a glimpse of the miniature world in the reef tanks we all own. I imagine we would be interested in another future demonstration if you would be willing Suncrestreef.

Trailerman about to take advantage of that old Upscales SPS frag special. I used to hit up this section first, but over time I developed a different route to take before hitting the Acroporas and other SPS up for grabs. Don't want to blow it all before you know what is there.

Natedawg left appearing to be jealous of the old school PNWMAS T-Shirt he doesn't have and can no longer get. Just kidding around here, kind of. Laughing about it is the very stylish Walt!...Which reminds me, we need some of those new shirts and cards for our upcoming annual Frag Fest.

Vance and his daughter up taking the serene view of all the beautiful corals, there is a lot to take in so I see why two sets of eyes are better than one.
      Once raffle time comes up people get serious...Okay, not serious, maybe a little goofy actually.

Get Your Tickets!!! BicycleBill sharing his contagious smile with everyone else in the room. One of the old school reefers that has always been generous to his fellow hobbyist. Like I said, I will get a couple other Acroporas cut for you and we will see how they do in different aquariums systems. Developing colors in ocean specimens is always exciting.

The professional rafflers here, FlashyFins and ALbertareef, top notch officers on our PNWMAS club. They both pull more weight behind the scenes than most of us will ever know, thanks you two, we appreciate it...
      And now to commence in some winning pictures.

PDXMonkeyboy wins the Seachem Gift pack with a variety of cool products. I had my eye on that and threw a couple tickets in but as they say, to the victor goes the spoils. PDXMonkeyboy and OptimusPrime here would make great sales reps for any form of goods, just look at the genuine excitement and satisfaction. Both of you two are hilarious. Far right here we have Gill&Fin trying to stay out of the camera shutter, Gotcha!

Speaking of OptimusPrime, he had a winning ticket for the mini Aquatic Life R.O. system. Those are so compact I love it, my home unit takes up a huge portion of a wall and I hate it.

Willapa winning the Gyre pumps!.. That's right, both of the pumps were won by Wilapa in the raffles fair and square. But being an amazing sport, he passed off the other Gyre back into the prize lot for another name to be drawn for the win. What a stand up guy, if you want a frag or two from my tank I can make that happen no problem, thanks for doing that man.

And here we have Flashyfins, right, handing off the generously re-prized Gyre to BOD LewisFisherman. Flashyfins is also our new Tanks For Teachers coordinator so be sure to give her a round of applause.
      All in all, as usual, it was a wonderful time. Got to meet some new folks, got to chat with some of the old crew, and snagged me some nice corals from one of my favorite reefer shops, Upscales.
      Thank you all for helping make this happen, thank you all at Upscales for hosting, and thank you all for attending and making this a fun and productive meeting. Definitely a success!
      Like I always say, our club PNWMAS ROCKS!!!

Reef on everyone!
    • By badxgillen
      Happy New Year!!!
      To kick things off in 2019 we are going to be taking a trip to one of the most old school salt water shops around, Upscales.

Known for their killer salt water fish, amazing corals, and exotic reptiles, Upscales has a little something for everyone. Join us at the end of the month for a meet and greet at one of our oldest sponsors to get your reef on. I still have my Oregon Tort and my Upscales Microlados but I am sure Travis and his crew will have a plethora of other must have corals in stock that I will be tempted to walk away with, gotta hit up those buy one get another coral half off deals. And they always have nice clams and anemones to choose from as well.
      Here are the basic details below.
      Time---Sunday January the 27th at 1:00PM
      Address---19295 SW Martinazzi Ave, Tualatin, OR 97062
      Stay tuned for updates on the event as they roll in, there is always something brewing here in the PNWMAS club.
    • By badxgillen
      Another Awesome December holiday meeting in the bag! Last year we had our gathering further north into Portland where as this year we took it down to the city of Salem. At Wallery's Pizzeria to be exact. We have held a few meets at this venue in the past so it was familiar surroundings to me. The establishment lets us have the whole back room that has 4 large seating tables and a couple smaller tables for us to do the white elephant gift exchange and to get our raffle on. We certainly needed the extra table room as we had developed a large pool of prizes.

You can also see that underneath we have already started a line of coolers, boxes, and styrofoams to accommodate the corals for the frag swap.
      PNWMAS making themselves right at home, despite the automotive decor and draft beer signs the club went straight into reef mode and our salt water conversations permeated the establishment.

At the end of this festive table we have Markvo sitting next to Reefrun and her son. At the head of the table is Jim and Roy and sitting to their right is R-3 Ryan...Included in this pictures FAR left in the stylish Christmas sweater is Youcallmenny.

R-3 and Gumby taking advantage of the meet and greet and having a nice reef discussion. I am always happy to see some of the Washington guys come down south. And Jim, if you still need any coral frags for the Boys and Girls club aquarium hit me up with an address and I will see if I can ship you out a little package. Jim was a major player in having their club host the Annual Frag Festival this year and last, so they have my continued support.

Left here is Kathleen, middle is Garret of The Premium Aquarium, and right we have Lexinverts. All very nice people here, Lexinverts is our Vendors Relations officer here for our club and Garret has been a supporting sponsor for a number of years making contributions when he can. Thanks Guys!

Left in this pic is BicycleBill, middle we have Taylorhardy, and on the right it's optimusprime. Bill, if any frag you get from me doesn't work out for some reason just let me know and I will get another one lined up for you. The cyphastrea I brought was very fresh cut and a little rough,. If you give it a dark spot and not too much flow it will come to and encrust, then color up a lovely bright golden red. Taylor, I hope your new tanks equipment acquisition goes smoothly, and once you have more room keep me in mind and I will cut you a piece of something. Very generous of you to hand out all those Acropora frags to people you have never met, in time the generosity will come back to you for sure. Dodge, you and I should meet up outside a meet sometime and shoot the pooo, I can bring a frag or two and maybe do a trade, or just let me check out the system. I been meaning to make a reefer run up north sometime in the not too distant future.

Garret saying hello to one of the newest coral kids on the block, Dominic and Reefermadness's newborn son. He is SO Tiny!!! Gonna take a while to grow that one out, but so far he is looking like a healthy start.

Gumby sitting down not knowing that FlashyFins is right behind him with a nice pair of rabbit ears. Merry Christmas!!! Cherany is another one of our awesome PNWMAS members who spends a number of unpaid hours working behind the scenes for our club. Thank You Cherany.

Stylaster sharing some of his coral wisdom with Ryan. Roy has been a generous contributing PNWMAS member for years and years and has served as club president on multiple terms. If you ever get a chance to strike up a salt water conversation with him, you should, he is a seasoned salty dog with a wealth of knowledge.

And yet another outstanding member of our club, Albertareef on the right has been a valuable asset to our PNWMAS office and Board Of Directors for a while now, always pitching in on keeping things straight and proper, good man.Here you can see that Flashyfins and Shaun make a stand up team and just knock out the tasks at hand like real pros, they ran the raffle like the veterans they are. 
      And speaking of raffles....

DSBlack gets to add quite a bit more flow to his tank at home with his new Hydor circulation pump. It's always nice to have more flow or a back up pump that's for sure.

Lexinverts took away the AquaMedic Doser pump, I love the brand but have not tried a doser, once you get a chance to put it to the test maybe let us know what you think about it.

Talk about excited here! Youcallmenny gets a winning number pulled and hits it big! The Gyre pump should make some "waves" for you man. Put that thing to good use yeah.

Whats cool here is that from what I understand Brian and Grace here needed an RODI unit. Nice Score man!

Taylor got a brand new Vectra DC pump that will put his big boy tank build on the right track. Check that one off the list right!? 
      The room had less than desirable lighting so many of my pictures were sub par. I did manage to get a couple that came out of the White Elephant but not many unfortunately. Next time I need to bring a flash, usually the ambient lighting at our events is from high lit reef tanks or outside so these incandescent bulbs really made it difficult on my camera.

White elephant gift exchange?... Or Pink elephants gift exchange? Sorry Dodge, you won't be holding onto that Malibu for long, there are a lot of thirsty folks in the room and you got your number drawn so early. By the way, love the VW shirt, represent.

Badxgillen AKA Bert unwrapped a whole box of fine hazzlenut chocolates...And when I say unwrapped, I mean I unwrapped them then and there. I have a little bit of a sweet tooth. I do like to share though so no one missed out on these treats.

BicycleBill unbagging a load of fishy ocean treats, looks like it could b e movie night soon Bill.

FlashyFins got some porcelain ocean life decor to spruce up her bathroom a little.
      After we wrapped up the gift exchange we proceeded to just socialize and eat pizza. I acquired a few new coral frags and met a couple new faces that are on the forum. Combine that with getting to see my old friends and you have a winning combination. Unfortunately, before I knew it, it was time to leave.
      After the meeting many of us went home as the weather left much to be desired, but several of us that don't get to Salem very often made a short trip over to The Premium Aquarium.

As usual the store did not disappoint and was full of aquatic treasure.

Did I mention I like candy?... 

There even just so happened to be a buy 3 get one free deal so you know I had to get myself 4 nice corals before I hit the road.

Tanks looked really good guys, keep up the good work yeah.
      Anyhow, as I mentioned above, the annual holiday meeting did not disappoint, a room full of cool people, good food, killer prizes, and non stop reef talk made for a very fast and full 2 hours. Just like Christmas day, you take all the time to make sure it is a success, but then it is over before you know it.Well, regardless,  I had a Blast folks!
      Thank you all who were able to attend and a BIG thank you to all who helped make it possible, our fine group of officers and BOD. Badxgillen, FlashyFin, Jeremevans, Lexinverts, Albertareef, Lewisfisherman, Youcallmenny, Paratore, Chief, TheClark, and All of our sponsors and All of our members...
      You All ROCK, Reef ON!!!