June Hatfield Marine Science Center Meet 2018

badxgillen

We bring you another public PNWMAS announcement, the Annual summer MHSC visit is almost upon us and the day is set for this informative upcoming meeting. Last year the weather was wonderful making the trip to the Newport Coast fabulous for before and after visits up and down our west coast! Sid is doing his best to make sure we have access to their personal break area which includes an indoor and outdoor alcove with benches, picnic area, and a grill spot sporting a Weber BBQ. I recommend a potluck style event were you can bring a dish and sample others so bring something healthy, or bring something sweet, just bring something good to eat.

You all will want to save the date on the calendar for this one. 

June 30th 12:00 at the Hatfield Marine Science Center.

2030 SE Marine Science Dr, Newport, OR 97365

And for those of you who don't know the facility has had a recent overhaul a couple months back improving just about everything there is, so it should have plenty new to see even for those of us who have attended the previous years. And if all this wasn't enough reason to come out, the director Sid is going to take us to a different wing of the marine center and give us a personal hands on fish health workshop demonstration! Here are a few pics from last years killer presentation.

SAM_1787.JPG

Last year this was an amazing experience in which we learned a number of protocols implemented in a facility like the HMSC including skin scrapes, gill samples, microscope identifications, and health assessment.

SAM_1890.JPG

I mean who wouldn't want to get the knowledge and experience of this kind of nitty gritty tooth and claw kind of stuff!. There is much to see and learn here.

SAM_1947.JPG

Say AAAHHHH Mr. Wolf Eel, its time for your check up.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

• Like 6

This was a lot of fun and super informative last year.  Sid and his assistant (forgot the name, sorry) did a great job and it was pretty amazing to see a hands on health check on an adult wolf eel!  The eel had been caught inadvertently and was awaiting permission for reintroduction, if I recall correctly, so was getting a a bit of "dusting and cleaning" in the meantime 😃Great example of some of the important work done at the Hatfield.  Really interested to see what the reorganization and expansion has accomplished.

• Like 2

Dang count me out again! Always wanted to see this one. But right about the time you are walking around the center, I’ll be diving off the reefs of Belize [emoji41]

Sent while trying to get my next coral fix.....

9 minutes ago, Paratore said:

Dang count me out again! Always wanted to see this one. But right about the time you are walking around the center, I’ll be diving off the reefs of Belize emoji41.png

As cool as this meeting will be , I think I would rather be in Belize !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paratore said:

Dang count me out again! Always wanted to see this one. But right about the time you are walking around the center, I’ll be diving off the reefs of Belize emoji41.png

Hard to feel too sorry for you here Cody!  Enjoy Belize!!!

On 5/16/2018 at 5:23 PM, theDSBlack said:

This looks like a lot of fun! Will plan on attending. 

It's a lot of fun for me to host you guys! I'm very much looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and reconnecting with you all. I'll have some 'scopes set up and will be doing some kind of animal health procedure. Those that want to glove in and help out will have the opportunity to do so, as well. After the big Visitor's Center remodel recently, my lab is in a bit of a state of transition as well, with old systems coming down and new ones currently under development.

Please come early and spend some time checking out the new VC, too! It was a major upgrade and I think it will meet with your approval. We're pretty stoked about it. I'm also looking forward to whatever culinary delights the gifted chefs in this outfit are planning for this meeting. As mentioned, there's a Weber grill available, along with ovens for reheating, fridges for storing and staging and a nice courtyard area. Who knows? I might have to throw down and bring something to contribute to the potluck as well. Might even be edible.

See you soon! 🍺:crab:

Sid

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dang count me out again! Always wanted to see this one. But right about the time you are walking around the center, I’ll be diving off the reefs of Belize [emoji41]

We will be diving in Belize this year but not until late December. One of our stops on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Nope. That animal is currently on exhibit and looking very good! Thanks for asking.

I was wondering what happened to him. I recall you trying to find a home but we’re having a hard time and release required specific permission. Glad to hear he is doing well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks!

If anyone needs formerly live rock to clean, cure and incorporate into your systems and you're planning on coming to HMSC in just a few weeks(!) , bring totes, buckets, clothes baskets and any other storage bins and load up while you're here. I have 200-300 pounds to liquidate, as, sorry to report, those tropical marine exhibits and holding systems have been taken down over the last several months due to budgetary/coverage considerations. As we all know, coral systems need a lot of extra time and money to maintain properly (especially if they are an exhibit) and these considerations ran right into the cold reality of budgetary constraints triggered by the recent remodel.

No one wanted these exhibits to go away, myself least of all, but no one wanted to allocate the funding to rebuild the systems or the infrastructure necessary for long-term success. So, here we are. I won't rule out the possibility for one or two coral exhibits sometime down the road (and I was really, really looking forward to building and maintaining an LPS system in my lab in the West Wing) but for now, the die is cast. If you've been jonesing for a bunch of live rock for an existing or upcoming system, please swing by on the 30th and load up!

See you then!

Sid

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Hey folks!

If anyone needs formerly live rock to clean, cure and incorporate into your systems and you're planning on coming to HMSC in just a few weeks(!) , bring totes, buckets, clothes baskets and any other storage bins and load up while you're here. I have 200-300 pounds to liquidate, as, sorry to report, those tropical marine exhibits and holding systems have been taken down over the last several months due to budgetary/coverage considerations. As we all know, coral systems need a lot of extra time and money to maintain properly (especially if they are an exhibit) and these considerations ran right into the cold reality of budgetary constraints triggered by the recent remodel.

No one wanted these exhibits to go away, myself least of all, but no one wanted to allocate the funding to rebuild the systems or the infrastructure necessary for long-term success. So, here we are. I won't rule out the possibility for one or two coral exhibits sometime down the road (and I was really, really looking forward to building and maintaining an LPS system in my lab in the West Wing) but for now, the die is cast. If you've been jonesing for a bunch of live rock for an existing or upcoming system, please swing by on the 30th and load up!

See you then!

Sid

Thanks for letting us know Sid.  Sad to hear that these ultimately came down.  BTW - what happened to the livestock?  I recall there being a lot of yellow tangs in one of those setups.

2 hours ago, albertareef said:

Thanks for letting us know Sid.  Sad to hear that these ultimately came down.  BTW - what happened to the livestock?  I recall there being a lot of yellow tangs in one of those setups.

Good question. Those fishes and corals went to colleagues in Portland, Detroit and Shreveport. I never lost sight of the fact that many of those corals and a few of the fish came to us by donation and felt a deep sense of responsibility to ensure that they would continue to be looked after by pros that I know personally. After they pass quarantine in each of those facilities, they will be on exhibit again, delighting people from all over the world. The legacy of this organization's generosity from over five years ago lives on and the reach of it has expanded significantly. Props to you all!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Good question. Those fishes and corals went to colleagues in Portland, Detroit and Shreveport. I never lost sight of the fact that many of those corals and a few of the fish came to us by donation and felt a deep sense of responsibility to ensure that they would continue to be looked after by pros that I know personally. After they pass quarantine in each of those facilities, they will be on exhibit again, delighting people from all over the world. The legacy of this organization's generosity from over five years ago lives on and the reach of it has expanded significantly. Props to you all!

Thank you for the follow up Sid.  I knew they would be well taken care of but was curious where they ultimately landed.  Good to know that they will be returning to exhibits again to honor the original educational intent - thank you again for working hard to make that happen. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, lewisriverfisherman said:

Sorry to hear about the exhibits shutting down and funding cuts. 

Sid It's a generous offer to give us rock.  I will make sure to bring something to put some rock in for TFT(to help out if no one minds) and maybe a few pieces for me as well.  I can't wait to come there at the end of the month, it's going to be fun!

Meant to mention that this is a really nice idea.  Having some rock to help get TFT tanks off the ground would be nice - especially if someone were able to cycle it ahead of time.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 12:09 PM, IntoTheMystic said:

Hey folks!

See you then!

Sid

I could definitely use some rock for my existing system. Been wanting to add smaller rocks here and there and some rocks in the refugium could probably use 20-40 lbs depending on the pieces. 

Well then, this dovetails nicely with the shameless plug/reminder I was planning on posting this afternoon.

For those that want and/or need formerly live rock, please make sure to remember to bring your totes, milk crates, bus tubs, dumpsters and other vessels to convey them! There might also be a few tanks available of different sizes looking for new homes.

See you all tomorrow at 12 for the meeting. If you'd like to come early and check out the Visitor's Center remodel, and it's a huge improvement lemme tell ya, the VC opens at 10 a.m.

See you all tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

• Like 1