Dosing 2 part

mrk13p

Since my 90 gal sprung a leak and I had to move everything to a temporary 40 breeder, I’m trying to get my parameters stable. My Alk has been low at 6.0 and Ca high at 520. I’m setting up my dosers but not sure how to dose since only ALK is high. All the research I did says I should be dosing both at equal amounts till stable. Wouldn’t my Ca just keep climbing? Or should I bring the Alk up over a couple days to ~8.0 then dose equally from there to keep stable. Thanks in advance! 

if you dose 10ml less cal then alk then the cal will slowly rise on its own.  once you get the calcium where you want it, then dose the same cal and alk.

remember though, when you set them the same you will effectively be putting in slightly less alk because you are adding more cal than you were. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrk13p said:

Since my 90 gal sprung a leak and I had to move everything to a temporary 40 breeder, I’m trying to get my parameters stable. My Alk has been low at 6.0 and Ca high at 520. I’m setting up my dosers but not sure how to dose since only ALK is high. All the research I did says I should be dosing both at equal amounts till stable. Wouldn’t my Ca just keep climbing? Or should I bring the Alk up over a couple days to ~8.0 then dose equally from there to keep stable. Thanks in advance! 

I noticed that you didn't list your magnesium level, From the very little i understand, as far as i know if your Mg. levels are off/low this will make it extra hard maintaining a stable alk,ca level as the Mg. helps keep them in check and utilize each other.

This is kind of how i understood it, i maybe wrong, i hope someone will help me understand too if that's the case. :)

From the article,

"Additionally, magnesium impacts how effectively calcium and carbonate that are "trying" to precipitate are able to do so. It does this by altering the growing calcium carbonate solid so that it no longer looks as inviting for additional calcium and carbonate ions to stick to it."

From the conclusion here.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/#18

Edit:

Found something else that sparked my interest and would like to learn more about, keep in mind, i can't quite wrap my head around this yet so i don't know if we are talking the same things.

From the article, 

"How big is this effect? In terms of magnesium, it is hard to say exactly how big the effect will be because the amount of magnesium deposited depends on the species involved, and ranges from less than 1% magnesium by weight in the skeleton, to more than 4%. Consequently, the magnesium demand in one aquarium may be very different from the magnesium demand in a second aquarium whose calcium demand is exactly the same."

"Nevertheless, we can roughly calculate the magnitude of the effect. Depositing pure calcium carbonate requires 20 ppm of calcium for every 1 meq/L of alkalinity. Substituting magnesium to the extent of 1% by weight in the skeleton decreases the calcium content by 4.1%. So the demand is then 19.2 ppm calcium for every 1 meq/L of alkalinity. Substituting magnesium to the extent of 4% by weight in the skeleton decreases the calcium content by 16.5%. So the demand is then 16.7 ppm calcium for every 1 meq/L of alkalinity. The change in the balance of the demand caused by magnesium incorporation into corals will depend on the exact species driving the demand, but can be larger than the other causes described in this article."

Article here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm

Yes, Exodus, i will def. give that a read as well. Looks like i can learn a lot from that one.

Thanks!

Edited by ChrisQ

5 hours ago, ChrisQ said:

I noticed that you didn't list your magnesium level, From the very little i understand, as far as i know if your Mg. levels are off/low this will make it extra hard maintaining a stable alk,ca level as the Mg. helps keep them in check and utilize each other.

This is kind of how i understood it, i maybe wrong, i hope someone will help me understand too if that's the case. :)

From the article,

"Additionally, magnesium impacts how effectively calcium and carbonate that are "trying" to precipitate are able to do so. It does this by altering the growing calcium carbonate solid so that it no longer looks as inviting for additional calcium and carbonate ions to stick to it."

From the conclusion here.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/#18

Edit:

Found something else that sparked my interest and would like to learn more about, keep in mind, i can't quite wrap my head around this yet so i don't know if we are talking the same things.

From the article, 

"How big is this effect? In terms of magnesium, it is hard to say exactly how big the effect will be because the amount of magnesium deposited depends on the species involved, and ranges from less than 1% magnesium by weight in the skeleton, to more than 4%. Consequently, the magnesium demand in one aquarium may be very different from the magnesium demand in a second aquarium whose calcium demand is exactly the same."

"Nevertheless, we can roughly calculate the magnitude of the effect. Depositing pure calcium carbonate requires 20 ppm of calcium for every 1 meq/L of alkalinity. Substituting magnesium to the extent of 1% by weight in the skeleton decreases the calcium content by 4.1%. So the demand is then 19.2 ppm calcium for every 1 meq/L of alkalinity. Substituting magnesium to the extent of 4% by weight in the skeleton decreases the calcium content by 16.5%. So the demand is then 16.7 ppm calcium for every 1 meq/L of alkalinity. The change in the balance of the demand caused by magnesium incorporation into corals will depend on the exact species driving the demand, but can be larger than the other causes described in this article."

Article here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm

Yes, Exodus, i will def. give that a read as well. Looks like i can learn a lot from that one.

Thanks!

My mag is actually higher than usual in the 40 breeder. It’s testing 1500. Brought my alk up to 7.0 yesterday, gonna bring up to 8.0 today. Ca still at 520. Then I’ll see how much depletes daily and dose both accordingly. 

I have not found that mag levels will srew with the pthers except when they are really low.. like say 1200.  At that point your dumping alk in and it wont raise. 

Other helpful advice, test alk at the same time of day because ph affects the results. 

You can get away with 1 dkh a day but .5 is better if you have sticks. 

13 hours ago, mrk13p said:

My mag is actually higher than usual in the 40 breeder. It’s testing 1500. Brought my alk up to 7.0 yesterday, gonna bring up to 8.0 today. Ca still at 520. Then I’ll see how much depletes daily and dose both accordingly. 

Hmmm, well 1500 is def. plenty. Wish i knew how to help, just remembered Randy speaking of certain affects that can happen and just wanted to share.

• Like 1