Looking for a test kit

Chadm73

Just a basic saltwater test kit. Ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites,  just the basics. I'm not sure what else to be checking. I dont try to do hard corals, just the softies. Sorry, I'm not smart about any names of stuff. Any extra pointers for advice is always appreciated. I read a ton on the internet, but like the advice of the people here.

No matter what corals or fish you're keeping you should monitor nutrients, and elements in my opinion. Then again, I've kept hard corals since I got back into the hobby. Your alkalinity can and will effect ph, phosphates, and many other factors. Your alkalinity can be reduced by those same factors, and many many more. Id say a basic test kit should be ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alk, cal, and Mag. P04 should be monitored, but it's not as relevant to soft corals as it is to sps. 

• Like 1

Sounds like I need to get a good test kit. I was gonna order 1, but was hoping somebody had 1 for sale here first. I haven't had this tank going very long, used the water that was in the tank, salinity was super low. My few fish are good, but anything else is doing horrible. My previous system did awesome, and with very little work. Maybe I was lucky. I'd love to try some different corals this time, but dont want to start buying without any knowledge of proper maintenance. 

Hi Chad, do you have a petco or a petsmart in your area?

If so, go in and pick yourself up a "api saltwater master test kit"

APA102_SaltMasterKit.jpg

You can also pick up a alkalinity test kit there to get you by until you can place an order.

I would recommend either Salifert or Red sea. API will get you by but its not the best IMO.

These two are also very important.

p-27186-99614RZ_048-99613_004-fish.jpg

As things progress you will need to keep tabs on your magnesium levels as magnesium helps keep calcium and alkalinity stable. This is actually something you should do from the start.

These test kits will certainly get you by until you can aqurie some of the higher end ones.

Also where we meet the other day, there is a great shop in Tualatin called Upscales fish & reptiles located right off martinazzi that has these higher end kits in stock.

What are you using to test salinity? bobber thingy?, swingarm? or a refractometer ?

I would definitely suggest a refractometer and keep it calibrated.

Hope this helps you out a bit :thumbs:

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1

I so have a refractometer. I'll have to check to see how to calibrate it. Been using it as is, so I'll double check when I get home. Hope the pump did well for you!! I did pick up a basic test kit, but will get the others as well. Been doing a lot of checking online. Appears Ph is good, need to recheck everything else though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chadm73 said:

I so have a refractometer. I'll have to check to see how to calibrate it. Been using it as is, so I'll double check when I get home. Hope the pump did well for you!! I did pick up a basic test kit, but will get the others as well. Been doing a lot of checking online. Appears Ph is good, need to recheck everything else though.

Pump worked great! Thanks again! You can buy calibration fluid that is set at 35ppt and there is a tiny screw on the top under a tiny rubber cap, that is how to calibrate it.

Drop 3 drops on, check it, if its not at 35ppt dial the screw until it is. winner winner chicken dinner!

Your corals will thank you :laugh:

I've also noticed that if you don't have a actually ph problem, thats a parameter not worth chasing if that makes sense. Again IMO

205172-aqua-craft-refractometer-calibration-fluid.jpg

Edited by ChrisQ