What's a good ATO for a 20G sump?

katarian

Hi folks,

What's a good ATO system for a reef tank? I have a 20G Long sump that I am using, and the return chamber holds anywhere between 3 and 4 gallons.

I want something that's reliable and has a fail safe so the pump shuts off when ran dry. 

Thank you in advance! 

Hi folks,
What's a good ATO system for a reef tank? I have a 20G Long sump that I am using, and the return chamber holds anywhere between 3 and 4 gallons.
I want something that's reliable and has a fail safe so the pump shuts off when ran dry. 

Thank you in advance! 

the auto aqua ato is a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Micro version, or the regular one?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

The micro version, the larger one had a few isues it has been discontinued also. the micro has all the same functions and it’s literally almost the size of a quarter. The tunze is also a very good choice.

• Like 1

The micro version, the larger one had a few isues it has been discontinued also. the micro has all the same functions and it’s literally almost the size of a quarter. The tunze is also a very good choice.

Okay. So far, Micro and Tunze Nano have the votes :)

Had the tunze nano, replaced it with the tunze ozmolator, works great. Never had a problem with it. 
Did you have any problems with the nano? If you did, what went wrong? And why the switch to the ozmolator?

1 hour ago, katarian said:

Did you have any problems with the nano? If you did, what went wrong? And why the switch to the ozmolator?

The float switch on the nano failed twice for me, probably lack of cleaning it every so often. I like the ozmolator sensor a lot more. Also has a backup float just Incase which is nice. 

The float switch on the nano failed twice for me, probably lack of cleaning it every so often. I like the ozmolator sensor a lot more. Also has a backup float just Incase which is nice. 
Does the nano only have a float switch? Or does it also have an optical sensor?

I have the Smart ATO and The Nano Tunze.  Both are great.  If you have the space get the Nano Tunze! 
I think I have plenty of space :) although not sure how big the unit is haha

• Like 1

You say you have a 20 gallon sump.. What is the DT size??  I have the 20 gallon long tank as my sump and a 75 gallon DT.  I have the Osmolator and it takes longer to get it out of the box than it is to set it up.  It has a high water warning which is good if your return pumps stops so you know something is wrong. 

You say you have a 20 gallon sump.. What is the DT size??  I have the 20 gallon long tank as my sump and a 75 gallon DT.  I have the Osmolator and it takes longer to get it out of the box than it is to set it up.  It has a high water warning which is good if your return pumps stops so you know something is wrong. 
I have a 40B as my DT

I have two Tunze osmolators, but they are very expensive.
I am also using a unit from Autotopoff.com that is much cheaper and works really well. I am using the "double w/ bracket" controller. 
http://www.autotopoff.com/Standard/index.html
ds01.jpg

Oh wow. That's like a fourth of the price.

Question for all of you guys:

What do you think of building one using an Arduino? I just saw an article where someone made one using it, also had it for temp control and other controls.