New Noob

fjdog

After still a no show at feeding time today, I got in and stuck a powerhead into the liverock. Well, the gramma came out, but in many little pieces. Looks like he had been dead in there for a while. I suspect he died of non-damsel related causes, but might take them out anyway to introduce other fish.

• 2 weeks later...

More yuck! The damsels both died last thursday and friday (about 1 week after the gramma). The symptoms were just spots of light coloration. One of them seemed to have a distended light colored mouth on one side. Here's some pics (some are from before the fish seemed really sick).

So my question, is should I keep it fish free for some period of time to let the disease(?) clear? All of the other organisms seem fine (snails and hermits). Or is it that I probably got bad (stressed) fish to start with and that I should not worry. All nitrates, nitrates, ammonia, pH tested fine.

Also, I have noticed a bunch of white barely visible organisms on the glass (maybe 1/2 mm in length), that if you look at them carefully have two small tails and move every once in a while. What do you think they are?

post-1500-141867737876_thumb.jpg

post-1500-141867737879_thumb.jpg

post-1500-141867737882_thumb.jpg

post-1500-141867737884_thumb.jpg

Use a magnifying glass to get a picture of them (use macro mode on your camera, and a tripod).

If they look like a small piece of ribbon, they may be flatworms. If they look like they have small leggs then they could be 'pods.

If flatworms, use flatworm eXit by salfert. Follow the directions. Read this recent link

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5965

If 'pods, don't do anything. They are good.

As for fish... IDK. How long has the tank been set-up? Maybe it is still in the process of cycling. The bio-filter has not matured enough to handle the stresses of fish yet.

dsoz

Have you also checked calcium and mag levels? I try to go with the theory of add one thing at a time. One thing one set of problems. Add to many things all at once = one big mess and wasted money. If your tank is still cycling then I would wait before adding more fish. Just a thought. :D

• 1 month later...

Just an update. Good news. I have kept a false perc clown (Nemo, of course) and a common cleaner shrimp (Jacques, of corse) alive for 4 weeks now. They are both doing great and growing. Also added a small green star polyp frag. I have a coral beauty in quarantine who is also doing real well, eating great and looking healthy. Should be ready to go into the display this weekend. Patience sure is important in this hobby!

• 4 weeks later...
Glad to hear it! Any pics??

I finally got some pics taken. Lucky the Coral Beauty was not posing, so this was the best shot I could get. BTW my lawnmower blenny died today after almost 2 weeks in QT. Heavy breathing, gaping mouth and loss of apetite. The royal gramma is still hanging in and looking good. He'll be in QT for a little longer than expected though!

post-1500-141867738392_thumb.jpg

post-1500-141867738394_thumb.jpg

post-1500-141867738397_thumb.jpg

Thanks. It seems to be coming together. The royal gramma went in yesterday and really adds a nice splash of color. As for the rocks, I can't take alot of credit...it was mostly mother nature. The one big piece on the right is really a show stopper.