building Protein skimmer help

Parzifal

Hello All!

I want to build my own protein skimmer (60" tall x 12" body) and am looking for recommended books/websites to reference i order to figure out CFM air draw on venturi valves depending on pipe diameter and GPH water flow.  I would appreciate any direction, most of what I have found so far is high level calculus and really only need something a little more simple than this:

And on this note, anyone have any 12" diameter PVC they want to sell?

image.png

On 4/29/2018 at 2:37 PM, Parzifal said:

Hello All!

I want to build my own protein skimmer (60" tall x 12" body) and am looking for recommended books/websites to reference i order to figure out CFM air draw on venturi valves depending on pipe diameter and GPH water flow.  I would appreciate any direction, most of what I have found so far is high level calculus and really only need something a little more simple than this:

And on this note, anyone have any 12" diameter PVC they want to sell?

image.png

Is ρ density?

I believe that by looking at this equation that this is for fine tuning a protein skimmer or pump. Maybe calculating the density differential as you proceed up the skimmer? Which would be applicable for engineering a protein skimmer, but density, viscosity and a lot of these constants change from tank to tank.

For your sake and really all of ours who just want to turn a knob to raise or lower the proteins water level. I really believe you can resort to simpler methods. I've seen people even make these things out of Gatorade bottles and they work perfectly fine.

I think if I was going to design one, I would just make sure the water inlet and outlet have valves, the air pump has a valve, along with another huge valve to raise or lower water level with the ability to overflow more than you'll need. No one would want a protein that size to overflow.