Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Well came home to my tank about 1 deg more than I have ever had it. Went to the market and got some ice.  I guess its time to order the things i need for the chiller.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

buying a chiller is costly while effective, your spending a bunch more on the device and the electricity for only the benefit of the Fish. You may want to consider picking up a portable AC unit instead as not only will it cost about the same, both you and the fish can benefit from it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the size of your tank I think Stu was selling one recently a 1/10 hp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or.... Fill a bunch of empty water bottles or fill several 2 liter soda bottles and freeze them. Place them in sump or dt when temps rise. Obviously, someone has to be home if you are at work but they work great and are super cheap. I always have several frozen water bottles and 2 liter bottles in the freezer when the situation arises. Did I mention they are incredibly cheap.
HTH, bro...

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coronas at Holly's

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Exodus said:

buying a chiller is costly while effective, your spending a bunch more on the device and the electricity for only the benefit of the Fish. You may want to consider picking up a portable AC unit instead as not only will it cost about the same, both you and the fish can benefit from it.

I already have the chiller, i just ordered some U tubes.  I have to figure out an external pump.    I have air conditioner but don't want to leave it on for the weekend while I'm gone.(in window kind)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How big of a pump do you need? I’ve got an external pump laying around I’d sell for cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NoobtoSalt said:

How big of a pump do you need? I’ve got an external pump laying around I’d sell for cheap. 

how much and what you got Jesse?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

how much and what you got Jesse?

 

Pretty sure it’s a Gen-x pcx-40 external pump. For you I’d sell it for $30. It’s just collecting dust in the garage. Got a lot of other stuff I would give you too saltwater I’d give you along with it chemical wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NoobtoSalt said:

Pretty sure it’s a Gen-x pcx-40 external pump. For you I’d sell it for $30. It’s just collecting dust in the garage. Got a lot of other stuff I would give you too saltwater I’d give you along with it chemical wise.

Ok I'll take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

Ok I'll take it.

Sounds good man. I’m in town for another week and a half. Let me know when you want to drop by. It’s a new place since the last time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Run the window shaker AC unit!

Unless you're going to vent the chiller outside, the ambient heat from the chiller and the wattage for both the chiller and the pump (especially a genx 40) required to run it will definitely be a waste of energy for a 20g tank...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it makes you feel any better, my tank hit 83 today.....and that's definitely not the hottest it's ever been.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Running a small fan on the surface of your 20 gal tank will be more than enough to keep it cool. Evaporative cooking works wonders. Very simple too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2018 at 9:32 PM, chewie said:

Run the window shaker AC unit!

Unless you're going to vent the chiller outside, the ambient heat from the chiller and the wattage for both the chiller and the pump (especially a genx 40) required to run it will definitely be a waste of energy for a 20g tank...

On 4/25/2018 at 9:32 PM, chewie said:

Run the window shaker AC unit!

Unless you're going to vent the chiller outside, the ambient heat from the chiller and the wattage for both the chiller and the pump (especially a genx 40) required to run it will definitely be a waste of energy for a 20g tank...

Jon I'm going to put the chiller and pump outside.  I know that pump is way over kill for what I need so I figured I could throttle it back with a ball valve, it's still cheaper than buying a new one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Willapa said:

Running a small fan on the surface of your 20 gal tank will be more than enough to keep it cool. Evaporative cooking works wonders. Very simple too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the fan idea.  I am already running a fan though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't know how I would do this without central air.  Chillers freak me out for no real reason.  Interested to see it attached to yours. 

edit: Also yea, my tank hits 80 most every day. 

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

If it makes you feel any better, my tank hit 83 today.....and that's definitely not the hottest it's ever been.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

I understand that they can get warmer that what mine got 😀...the warm weather just made me start thinking about getting things sourced for my chiller as I know that the warm weather is just around the corner,  I hate waiting for the last minute to put crap together. Here's to kooler tanks!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well came home to my tank about 1 deg more than I have ever had it. Went to the market and got some ice.  I guess its time to order the things i need for the chiller.....

Does your house get really hot in the summer? If you don’t have home ac you can get a portable ac for the room that way you also stay cool. I have a portable ac in my place


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×