Identification Help Please

cjmdh

This algae popped up a while back and i trimmed it off and covered it with superglue but it has come back.  It is only on this small rock with some zoas on it and as you can see Benny the Blenny likes to perch on it but not eat it.  The bristle worms love it too.  It feels like plastic and crunches when you pull it off.

greenstuff.jpg

• 1 month later...
This algae popped up a while back and i trimmed it off and covered it with superglue but it has come back.  It is only on this small rock with some zoas on it and as you can see Benny the Blenny likes to perch on it but not eat it.  The bristle worms love it too.  It feels like plastic and crunches when you pull it off.
greenstuff.thumb.jpg.79f72caeb376d06958fdc91a575bf3be.jpg

At first I thought it might be bryopsis but I’ve only seen it in my tank to look like feathers and not in a clump like yours. Can you tank a close up pic of a few strands outside the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not bryopsis. It’s like plastic, very stiff and snaps when you break it. Kind of looked like palm trees. I wasn’t taking any chances of it spreading so I tossed the rock it was on. The zoas had already migrated to othe rocks making the decision easier. 

• Like 2

Defibatelly a kind of Cladaphora type algae. I have said it once and I will say it again, this stuff is the Devil. It does not respond to the standard algae removal protocols. Almost nothing eats it except certain urchins, mostly ones that remove the first rock layer with their food stuffs, making control in nooks and crannies next to impossible. It can take prolonged Hydrogen peroxide dips and caustic PH kalkwasser burns only slow it down.

Make sure this stuff does not get anywhere else in the tank if possible, another time where prevention is much much easier than the "cure".

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ChrisQ said:

They use the word "plasticity" and "coarse" often, referring to several aspects. Including brittle and fragile.

I used those terms in my original google search and got nothing!  I just searched cladophoropsis and looked at the images and found this(top two pics which looks exactly like the stuff I had): https://www.marinelifephotography.com/marine/seaweeds/cladophora-catenata.htm

2 hours ago, badxgillen said:

Make sure this stuff does not get anywhere else in the tank if possible, another time where prevention is much much easier than the "cure".

It was only on one little rock and I chucked it. 

• Like 1