Can rapid growth cause color fade?

Optimusprime3605

I would start by backing  the pH control off to have it shut at 7.0 and keep any eye on Alk and leave the flow alone.  Worth looking at some combination of additional feeding and increased bioload as others have suggested. Given you are getting great growth if you got the nutrient balance sorted you would be golden. Sounds like they are just a bit hungry [emoji39] 
Did just that, Sean.
Dialed back the reactor so it would shut off at 7.0, kicks in at 7.1.

As for more bioload, looking for a blonde naso with streamers. If anyone is looking to rehome a blonde naso, hit me up!

I was actually thinking of cutting back my feeding, which I probably will and just dose more nutrients (acro power).

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coronas at Holly's [emoji481]

Your alk is way too high. The first thing to try is lowering your alk to 8 or 9. I'll bet that change alone will make things improve.
Hey Lex
Well, I dialed back my reactor in hopes that it lowers my Alk along with adding more nutrients to the water column.

I'm still a little foggy about the Alk thingy and how it relates to CA and Mag but hopefully things clear up soon...

3 hours ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

Did just that, Sean.
Dialed back the reactor so it would shut off at 7.0, kicks in at 7.1.

As for more bioload, looking for a blonde naso with streamers. If anyone is looking to rehome a blonde naso, hit me up!

I was actually thinking of cutting back my feeding, which I probably will and just dose more nutrients (acro power).

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coronas at Holly's emoji481.png

Yeah - somehow missed the 8 cubes a day post!  Love the Naso tangs - seem to be relatively mellow for a large fish as well. Keep us posted. 

A couple of thoughts... Love my blond naso and they are super chill.. mine is a total baby.  

In regards to redfield ratio.. I think that one is a bit of a red hearing.  Yes, it is the ratio of nitrogen to phos found in photosynthetic organisms but that doesn't mean that their environment should match that ratio.  From "THE MAN" Randy Holmes Farley.. 

The Redfield ratio, or any ratio like it, is the ratio of elements in various organisms. Exact ratios aside, all organisms have high C, less N and                                               much less P that composes the organic molecules of their tissues. So in some sense, these are the ratios that photosynthetic organisms will                                           be taking up out of the water (with some exceptions).

It is not, however, to be thought of as ratios of elements that should be in the water, and in the ocean, the available nutrients do not necessarily                                         follow that ratio.

At any rate, as many have said, and it sounds like you are doing, having a lower alk will likely be beneficial to you.  You have to remember that natural sea water is around 7.  I am all about having faster growth but I think that pushing alk into the 11 and 12 range can be dangerous.  There are certainly those that do it, but I don't know if that is a great reason.  With numbers that high, even bringing new frags and colonies into your system would be stressfull.  Jumping from 8 or so dkh to 11 in an hour or so... yikes! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, after several weeks of trying to lower my Alk, I'm happy to say, it is now down to 9 dkh from 11.8. Mag is still at 1500 and Ca at 500.
Other test results:
NO3 2ppm
PO4 0ppm
Ph 8.15
Iodide. 03ppm

As for nitrates, they have gone up to 2ppm from undetectable. It's a slow go but at least it's climbing. Target for nitrates is 10pmm.

Thank you to all that have chimed in. I will update again in a few weeks...

If your tank is big enough, add a pair of triggerfish and you don't have to worry about food being left uneaten. ;-)

I go though about 2lb of DIY frozen seafood plus 1lb of flakes every 5-7 months, but I have 37 hungry fishes. This is after I cut down on some feeding cause I was worry that some fish might be over weight.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If your tank is big enough, add a pair of triggerfish and you don't have to worry about food being left uneaten. ;-)

I go though about 2lb of DIY frozen seafood plus 1lb of flakes every 5-7 months, but I have 37 hungry fishes. This is after I cut down on some feeding cause I was worry that some fish might be over weight.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I don't think my tank is big enough to accommodate such a high population of fish, but I am going to pick several more fishies soon.

2lbs, wow! It's a good thing that most or all of the food is eaten in your tank or else you'd probably have an algae forest. [emoji16] Bumped my feeding back up to 8 cubes a day to help increase my nitrates.

Overweight fish...That's funny!

i am in the opposite boat right now, my nitrates have been steadily climbing over the last month or two. Which makes sense because i added four large fish at once.

I just added a dose of vibrant aquarium cleaner which is pretty potent denitryfying bacteria so we will see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i am in the opposite boat right now, my nitrates have been steadily climbing over the last month or two. Which makes sense because i added four large fish at once.

I just added a dose of vibrant aquarium cleaner which is pretty potent denitryfying bacteria so we will see what happens.

I need to get me some fishies soon, probably over the weekend. Mind me asking what fishies you got?

Lmk how that goes with the Vibrant. Hopefully, it helps ya bcuz it didn't do anything for me a few years back.

25 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

What are they running at now?  Just curious for comparison purposes since Dodge is actually trying to get his up to 10ppm.

• Like 1

What are they running at now?  Just curious for comparison purposes since Dodge is actually trying to get his up to 10ppm.
I never thought it would be so difficult to raise nitrates but I'm on the right track, hopefully.

I picked up a blonde naso, powder brown, hippo and my favorite fish of all time... an achilies :)

I had some funky algae a couple months ago, had some semi-uncured live rock leaching phosphates. After the phosphates settled down I did two doses of vibrant and i swear it was like magic. There is a really long thread about vibrant on r2r.

I will report back if it drops my nitrates effectively.

• Like 2

I am not sure as the RSP nitrate test only goes to like 8 or 10. I would say over 10 at this point, i noticed some of my sps starting to take on a brownish tint so that is when i decided to try some things.

My phos is coming up at 0 and .01 with the milwaukie meter which is scary but my frag tank is growing algae like a boss, so i know there is phos in there.

• Like 1