Official CNC Zoanthid Grow Out Thread

Yeah that frag kit is sweet! That $100 can snag some sweet stuff at Cuttlefish! Supplement heaven! Lol. Or fill up on more frags. Lol. 

By the way, did we establish how these zoas grow best? LEDs apparently. High or low light? Direct or indirect feeding? 

On 7/30/2018 at 12:46 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Unless you are dying to spend money for a plastic bottle with the word nopox on it, you can simply mix 500 mls vinegar, 375 vodka and 125 RO/DI and tadah... NoPox.  

Also,Vibrant works AWESOME.  I mean wow!!   It will drop your nutrient levels, which is a win win depending on where you are at.  Vibrant is a bacteria... it is not carbon dosing.  It has a tiny bit of acetic acid (vinegar) in it but only for a preservative. 

cheers.

Oh is that all nopox is? Lol. Regular white vinegar? What kind of vodka? I've heard vibrant from a lot of people so I'll have to try it. 

9 hours ago, JMurray said:

Oh is that all nopox is? Lol. Regular white vinegar? What kind of vodka? I've heard vibrant from a lot of people so I'll have to try it. 

yep, that is all it is.  Any vodka that isn't flavored is fine.  I have a gallon jug of heinz vinegar on a dosing pump.  Well, I did until I just completely tore apart my tank to get the fish out of it to go fallow... SIGH.   i jsut dosed carbon, some dose just vodka, and some dose a mixture of the two.  Some have reported faster results with the mixture. 

Just don't dilute the vinegar and it will stay fresh.  If you dilute it, it will not be as acidic and you could get bacteria growth.  The "typical" level needed to affect change is around .30 ml per gallon of water. ... you ramp up to this level. 

This is all discussed ad nausea on R2R. 

9 hours ago, JMurray said:

Yeah that frag kit is sweet! That $100 can snag some sweet stuff at Cuttlefish! Supplement heaven! Lol. Or fill up on more frags. Lol. 

By the way, did we establish how these zoas grow best? LEDs apparently. High or low light? Direct or indirect feeding? 

I don't know what the others were doing.. I had moderate flow, about 300-350 par under radium MH bulbs.  Mine really seemed to take off when I fed them with reef frenzy about 2x a week.  It could be the feeding, or they could have just settled in, these were a finicky lot to get to just chill out and grow.  My acans however REALLY like the reef chilli. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JMurray said:

I think Dexter has a frag kit like this.... lol

I was thinking the same !

1 minute ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

I'll  take the ice cap salinity temp probe please   and I assume pickup will be at Paradise Corals?

You have been paying attention! 

@Kristen Herr you are up next ! You either can have the Red Sea test kit or the Nopox!

I wonder how everyone’s zoa did that failed to post pics? 

Mine went from 5 to all just about gone. To placed it in low low light low flow and have 10 or so. 

Curious about the Rainbow zoa that was a group buy. Mine was 3 to now 20. 

• Like 1

I wonder how everyone’s zoa did that failed to post pics? 
Mine went from 5 to all just about gone. To placed it in low low light low flow and have 10 or so. 
Curious about the Rainbow zoa that was a group buy. Mine was 3 to now 20. 
Shame on me for not posting in time. Was gonna post before leaving town on Friday morning but forgot. Anywho, started with 8 ended with 12. Great job, everyone!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

On 8/1/2018 at 3:31 AM, JMurray said:

Im not sure about par numbers, I’m running my leds at about 40% around  14 inches or so from the tank. Zoas were about mid way in a 40 breeder with moderate to low flow. And it was indirect feeding with rods as this is what I usually feed my tank with everyday. I would like to see what my par numbers are though.

2 hours ago, kev311 said:

Im not sure about par numbers, I’m running my leds at about 40% around  14 inches or so from the tank. Zoas were about mid way in a 40 breeder with moderate to low flow. And it was indirect feeding with rods as this is what I usually feed my tank with everyday. I would like to see what my par numbers are though.

Do you run 40% on whites and blues?

I did not get my last post in on time.  I have been demoing two decks and getting ready to replace the decks in the back yard.

It is a lot of work!

I started with 4 and finished with ended up with 9.  I do not expect to be in the contest still,.... but I am pleased that they stay open

pretty much all of the time finally.   I would do it again next time.

Congratulations kev311 - incredible growth - you are the zoa master around here :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

@JMurray 

Kristenherr is passing on a prize as she already has a test kit and has no need for the No Pox. Congrats your persistence paid off and you are in the prize pool!

That's everyone so I can just pass it on to the club as a prize for a future raffle!

Oh sweet! I'd like the test kit then as I don't have a test for ca and mg. If that's alright. This is a pick up at Paradise Corals as well? 

Edited by JMurray