55 Gallon frag tank. Return knock off 600gph

300 watt heater

MP-40 for flow

Light: T5

Water change when I feel like it haha

I don’t dose or feed

Very simple tank

FRAG:

located on the Frag Rack about 6” under water.

I have 5 and a half heads

Hope this works. Doing it on my phone so I can’t see what everyone else put lol!

374a03fce8f0009650a136a462edb0b3.jpgb2cebc50340bc9d4991fbc4af8f86602.jpg6176464e39c3978ef4e3cd703ca1f2e0.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

I can see it now on month 3....Kim will be saying I know those zoas are floating around my system some where.  Hehehe 😁

Hey I have technically a month to find them before the next post . Sirena is usually great for finding things so I will get her on the job!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, its time for my last minute entry and unfortunately my polyps are not looking that great as of now, I am almost tempted to run out to Jeff's tomorrow and see if I can get in a new entry at the last minute. Just kidding, I will roll my dice like everyone else.

Here are the specs and pics before they closed up some...

40 gallon breeder plumbed into another 40 gallon breeder making about a 78 gallon system since I keep the water level low for some reason.

The tank containing the zoa is lit by an Aqua Beauty LED fixture set at %100 blues and %50 whites.

Flow is at about 4500GPH total but the frag is not in any direct flow. The return at 500, a 1,000 from a Koralia, and another 3000 from an off brand no name circ pump. 

Frozen brine or mysys shrimp for the fish and once a week broadcast feedings of a coral food such as reef chili or coral gumbo.

Activated Carbon and a moded Coralife skimmer are the only filtration in place.

Dosing for calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, and Vodka.

The zoa is on a frag rack mid level in the tank, I would say about  10 inches deep.

SAM_6596.JPG

SAM_6592.JPG

I started with 5 polyps that were about to open up, I now have 5 polyps that look like they want to melt...But I aint throwing in the towel, I have seen some pretty amazing come backs. The zoas next to them are looking just fine so I will give it some tender love and care.

• Like 1

Just now, Flash21 said:

I had 5 and well now they are pissed off and now zero! I have the heads there just have not opened for days.  

Just let them float off the plug and lose them for a week and find them beneath your frag rack . It looks like a baby was forming lol but we shall see after I smashed them and reglued them.

Dont lose hope. I have had zoas close for weeks  and then open up again!

• Haha 1

4/20 tank specs

40gb

15g sump

Currently no skimmer.

Gfo, carbon and algae reactors (algae reactor being installed this weekend)

Simple cheap programmable led lights

Heat set to 78

Return pump at 750gph

800gph circulation pump

Plan to do weekly 5g water changes spot feed a couple times a week.

Frag is 4 polyps placed on a rock mid level in the tank.

d7ab498c563ff3ff222e67bfd8a537cd.jpgca3e146e64bfa030d2ac03816e536b4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good find looks like the picture to me ! I have not seen black hole suns in person but these sure look the same .

48E709AD-B569-4EB0-B1DB-AF95E0A2AAD7.thumb.jpeg.5b123e3e6f414b1e28e532c8fd435d7b.jpeg

There were other pics of what were called blackhole suns that weren’t quite the same color (green ring around the white center) so who knows lol. These are awfully close though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I wanted to post that my frag with four polyps finally all opened up yesterday for the first time.  I ended up putting them on the

bottom of the tank and they seem like they finally may be happy there.  Perhaps the mid level was too much light/flow??  I know others have had trouble

getting all to open up as well.  I am pleased that this seemed to help them.  Give it a try if you still have unopened polyps.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kev311 said:

There were other pics of what were called blackhole suns that weren’t quite the same color (green ring around the white center) so who knows lol. These are awfully close though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to the name game. I have seen the same thing renamed by a different vendor. Exact same coral from same location. Branding ...

16 minutes ago, sroberts said:

I wanted to post that my frag with four polyps finally all opened up yesterday for the first time.  I ended up putting them on the

bottom of the tank and they seem like they finally may be happy there.  Perhaps the mid level was too much light/flow??  I know others have had trouble

getting all to open up as well.  I am pleased that this seemed to help them.  Give it a try if you still have unopened polyps.

That’s a good strategy for most corals. Glad they opened up.

Ok, mine are finally starting to open. I counted 8 polyps total but only 4 are opening don't know if they'll all open but we shall see...

-Tank 36x36x24 acrylic
-Approx. 175 total water volume with sump
-Mag 18 return
-Skimmer
-Ca reactor
-Dose acro power and iodine
-Feed 6 cubes daily as of last week
-Reefi LEDs w/supplemental black box with retro fit Sbreeflights pcb board.
-Icecap 3k gyre

Frag is located on bottom right of display 5e6b296984f097737ecc03c1d2307c89.jpge554344287039f20c216068de6c32fb7.jpg1cd5770d711c0f47c1da7eaeba274609.jpg

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coronas at Holly's [emoji481]

So looks like no post entry for The Clark, PDXmonkeyboy, and Reefnjunkie, other than that I think everyone made deadline. Good Job people, I now hope everyone's polyps open up and start growing so we can get some competition gong on.

• Like 1