60+ tank for a new project

RockChalk

I'm the living embodiment of a DIYer (chicken coop✅, playground ✅, keeping the house from falling down ✅).

I've been really inspired by all the stories on this site and others to take on a new tank setup from the ground up. 

So I'm looking for a tank that is at least 60 gal (I'm not stuck on this size and am curious about everyone's thoughts on an ideal size) to begin. 

I'd also love to hear recommendations (and horror stories) that might help guide this spring/summer project. 

My goal is to build the stand to fit the tank and then add all the equipment and plumbing (slowly since my money tree died). This will be my first foray into sump land. I've used every other type of filter out of fear of all the components involved in a sump, so I'm going to try and overcome that fear. 

Thanks for being a great resource and creating such a robust community. 

• Like 2

Welcome! (?)  My first tank was really DIY and it's definitely a process.  There's probably a million things to be said on where to start but I want to say that I think 60g is one of those awesome tank sizes.  Big enough to be stable but small enough not to be as much work. 

Don't be scared of the sump!  It's a potential flood issue but as long as you take certain precautions, it should never happen.  Just understand that when you turn your return pump off, the return line up in the display tank is going to backsiphon a lot of water back in to the sump.  Having a low water level in the sump and a return line that is close to the surface in the DT will alleviate this.  Some people opt for 1-way check valves to stop this siphon.  More than anything, if you're unsure, ask!  We're here to help and if you are clear with your plans and intentions, someone will probably save you from any major boneheaded maneuvers.  I say this because most of us, myself included, have run the gambit on problems with our tanks.  Better to learn from someone else's mistakes in my opinion!

Edited by youcallmenny

I have a 65g, with a stand and canopy and a 20l I used for a sump sitting in my garage. It has some scratches, could use a reseal, and a good scrubbing but it worked great for me when I had it up. I've got a bunch of rock as well that I would let go with the tank for cheap. Really nice size to get a feel for the hobby in. 

• Like 1

I have a 65g, with a stand and canopy and a 20l I used for a sump sitting in my garage. It has some scratches, could use a reseal, and a good scrubbing but it worked great for me when I had it up. I've got a bunch of rock as well that I would let go with the tank for cheap. Really nice size to get a feel for the hobby in. 

Just sent you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! (?)  My first tank was really DIY and it's definitely a process.  There's probably a million things to be said on where to start but I want to say that I think 60g is one of those awesome tank sizes.  Big enough to be stable but small enough not to be as much work. 
Don't be scared of the sump!  It's a potential flood issue but as long as you take certain precautions, it should never happen.  Just understand that when you turn your return pump off, the return line up in the display tank is going to backsiphon a lot of water back in to the sump.  Having a low water level in the sump and a return line that is close to the surface in the DT will alleviate this.  Some people opt for 1-way check valves to stop this siphon.  More than anything, if you're unsure, ask!  We're here to help and if you are clear with your plans and intentions, someone will probably save you from any major boneheaded maneuvers.  I say this because most of us, myself included, have run the gambit on problems with our tanks.  Better to learn from someone else's mistakes in my opinion!

Thanks for the support, I'm notorious for bonehead mistakes, so I will look here before I leap.

Good luck with the project. Definitely a diy is the fastest way to learn and there are plenty of skilled people on here who are usually happy to give the benefit of there experience if you get stuck. If you have time check out some of the detailed build threads... lots of good tips buried in those. 

Good luck with the project. Definitely a diy is the fastest way to learn and there are plenty of skilled people on here who are usually happy to give the benefit of there experience if you get stuck. If you have time check out some of the detailed build threads... lots of good tips buried in those. 

Thanks. Just came from the meetup, cool to be around so many people with (horror) stories to tell.

• Like 2