450 Gallon Reef, 855 Gallon System

oxx155

now thats what im talking about brotha. Nice tank and clean system. Real pro

Thank you, I try hard and put in my time. I definitely learn a lot from this forum and others and I am appreciative of all the feedback I get from everyone.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I brought a little reefer into the world on April 26th (his actual due date, LOL). I will hopefully post pics soon.

And I hope that in a couple of years he can help me with some of the chores, especially if I can put a snorkel on him and send him swimming in the tank to clean, LOL joking.

His name is William Mason Foster, weighing 5 pounds 13 ounces and 19 1/2 inches.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I brought a little reefer into the world on April 26th (his actual due date, LOL). I will hopefully post pics soon.

And I hope that in a couple of years he can help me with some of the chores, especially if I can put a snorkel on him and send him swimming in the tank to clean, LOL joking.

His name is William Mason Foster, weighing 5 pounds 13 ounces and 19 1/2 inches.

Congratulations! (clap)

If anyone took pics of my tank, inhabitants, or equipment please feel free (and I encourage) to post your pics here. I am not the greatest photographer and I think other people might have some great pics that could add to this thread.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got both protein skimmers dialed in and pulling out about 5 gallons of crap every other week or so.

Just doing some maintenance this summer and pulling out old and replacing with new. I am also going through everything I have in storage and will probably have some stuff for sale some time in July.

I want to spend a fair amount of time this summer learning how to use my new camera so I can take some awesome shots. I even got a Wide-Angle lens so I can take really nice full tank shots without splicing the pics together!

I have a before pic of the tank and hopefully next week I will have an updated tank shot and I will be able to show how much everything has grown.

A lot of people asked why I didn't have the big tang (that was in the refugium) in the main tank, so I decided to move him in and thankfully he seems to be getting along with everyone.

Now with 12 Tangs in the tank I am going through 12 sheets of seaweed every other day! I buy the Julian Sprungs 100 Sheet packs in green, purple, and red twice a month now. I swear these fish eat better than I do. I also feed twice a week Rod's Food Original with some Rod's Food Fish Eggs. I also feed twice a week a mix of Reef Nutrition's Phytofeast Live, RotiFeast, OysterFeast, Arctipods, and FuzzyPhytes.

I am still doing the 10 gallons a day automatic water change system and its amazing at keeping things pretty stable. The only issue I still have is my PH going from 7.6 to 8.0. I am trying to figure out how to keep it between 8.0 and 8.2, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Anyway, more to come later.

Hey Douglas,

Looking good!

I've heard that you can get Nori for Tangs etc at Asian food markets for cheap. It would need to be non-Yuppie Asian food markets.

I have tried quite a few different types from several markets, but nothing that holds up as well, looks as good, and gets the tangs going as much as the Julian Sprungs brand.

I always wondered how people got their tangs so thick (girth), but now I know that it just takes tons of seaweed.

And we were all amazed by the size of your Tangs at the meeting at your house!

I have tried quite a few different types from several markets, but nothing that holds up as well, looks as good, and gets the tangs going as much as the Julian Sprungs brand.

I always wondered how people got their tangs so thick (girth), but now I know that it just takes tons of seaweed.

• 1 month later...
i love that naso

He is even bigger and better looking now.

Unfortunately though recently something attacked the tangs (it might have been the big tang just before I got rid of him) and I lost 2 yellows and a purple, they were all three missing pieces from around the spike on their tails, definitely looked like bite marks. I haven't had any problems since.

I recently got a Chevron Tang to add to my collection, and am looking for another Purple or maybe Black. I still currently have 4 Yellows, Desjardini Sailfin, Sailfin, Blue, Naso, and now the new Chevron.

I have been extremely busy with work and family this summer and the front glass of the tank has a ton of coraline algae on it, so I have to do some heavy scraping before taking more pics.

Everything else though is doing very well and growing very big, I hope to have more pics before the end of summer.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
I've been looking for a 500 gallon tank! This tank is amazing! I look forward to seeing the set up? Can I ask how much & where to get a tank like this? :)

The 450 Gallon was acrylic and I can't remember who built it, but it was built for around $4000 I believe. My 750 Gallon is glass and was made by Miracles up in Canada for about $5,000 (not including shipping). There are quite a few Acrylic Tank Makers in the U.S., I think even a good one is located in L.A.

Just my opinion, but I would avoid the company GlassCages, they are cheap, but you get what you pay for IMO.

Good Luck, and I host a meeting this May that you can see my tank in person.