450 Gallon Reef, 855 Gallon System

oxx155

im no professional nor is my camera but id love to come check it out and take pics. id say im pretty good. pm me and wel arange it

Thanks. PM Sent.

Anyone else good at photo taking?

I am running the C-1000 and it does an awesome job! Definately a good choice for a system of your volume.

I am most likely going to go this route.

Thanks. PM Sent.

Anyone else good at photo taking?

I would say that I am fairly good at photography. I dont know the finer details but I just keep shooting more and more, and get some pretty good pics. Plus I have a high resolution underwater camera, so that can help when taking macro shots or just regular shots because you get rid of glare and clearity issues with glass or acrylic. I also am very comfortable with my camera as far as settings, so we can mess with it until you are happy. Have tripod too, for more stable pics.

I would say that I am fairly good at photography. I dont know the finer details but I just keep shooting more and more, and get some pretty good pics. Plus I have a high resolution underwater camera, so that can help when taking macro shots or just regular shots because you get rid of glare and clearity issues with glass or acrylic. I also am very comfortable with my camera as far as settings, so we can mess with it until you are happy. Have tripod too, for more stable pics.

PM me about what times you are available (weeknights,weekends)

Wow... beautifull tank. I wish I win lotter ticket

Thanks and I wish

I am just very good at business. And if you do it right and take your time you really don't have to spend that much.

• 3 months later...

I am in California for Christmas right now, but since I have down time I thought I would update a little bit.

Some of you are aware that I recently moved into my new home and the tank has a new place (although minus the fish and corals, which thankfully all found new homes).

I learned a lot over the last 2 years running the tank and have decided to make some changes that I believe will help the tank and myself tremendously.

1. The tank has been cleaned and polished. Even though it doesn't look brand new, it still looks great.

2. I have upped the sand bed in the main tank to between 4-5 inches. The Regufium has been upped to about 8 inches. That gives me a total of about 800-900 pounds of sand.

3. I am reusing the crates again for placing the live rock, but have cut some shorter and rearranged how they will look.

4. I have upped my live rock from 500 pounds to almost 700 pounds.

5. I will now be running three 1" Sea-Swirls instead of one 1" and two 3/4". This will allow 600 GPH more flow into the tank from my Barracuda.

6. I have added a Reeflo 250 Pro to increase my protein skimming.

7. I have modded the three Sedra 9000's on my ASM G-6 Skimmer for higher production.

8. Two of my four overflow drains will run directly to both skimmers for better cleaning potential. I believe I can get between 600-800 gph into each skimmer.

9. I will running probes for PH, Calcium, Salinity, and ORP in a probe holder that I am designing similar to the picture below

probe.jpg

Anyway, I have to go, I will update more later.

That is one sexy probe holder :cool:

I will have four of them running into a 2" pipe that comes from one of the overflows towards the refugium.

More Changes

10. I am switching some of the lighting to slightly higher spectrum. I have found 14k or 15k is my favorite spectrum for my 250w DE Metal Halides.

11. I am now running tunze pumps in my refugium for proper flow (I used to get buildup because I had Rio pumps that didn't provide enough proper flow)

12. I have added a 1 HP PCI Chiller/Heater combo to the system (I never really had an issue with heat in the past, but I want to keep it as stable as possible, hopefully between 78-80)

I don't have water in the tank yet because I didn't want anything to possibly happen while I was out of town (although I have heard that my cats decided the sand was a fun play pit). When I get back in town I will put water in and start the cycle.

Hopefully by the end of January I will be able to start adding some fish and sometime in February start adding some corals.

Maybe by Summer time I might be able to open my home for a club meeting or party, we'll see what the wife says, LOL.

Anyway, when I get back in town I will post some pictures.

Happy New Year!

Before you add water.........

Better check the sand good for those "special kitty treats" that they might have left!!! :) :)

Yeah, I have already checked a couple of times, but before I left for vacation I covered the tank (I almost filled it with some water just to keep the cats out, but with no heat I didn't want the water to freeze).

When I get back I will make another run through the tank for anything that shouldn't be there.

Thanks for the reminder though

Finally have pictures for everyone

Construction

oxxreef49.jpg

oxxreef48.jpg

Wife cleaning and buffing the tank

oxxreef47.jpg

Starting to put stuff in the room

oxxreef46.jpg

The New Reeflo Pro Skimmer

oxxreef45.jpg

Adding Sand and the Rock Crates

oxxreef44.jpg

oxxreef43.jpg

oxxreef42.jpg

Adding Rock

oxxreef38.jpg

oxxreef37.jpg

The Molding and Doors in the living room area

oxxreef36.jpg

oxxreef35.jpg

More work being done

oxxreef34.jpg

Finally attempted to do my own ASM Pump Mesh Mod.

I took the needle wheel out and clipped all but 4 of the nobs

oxxreef39.jpg

I ordered some Enkamat mesh on Ebay, cut into squares just slightly larger than the wheel, drilled new holes in the needle wheel at an angle that allows the zip ties to better move through the water (I heard using the original holes can cause drag and vibration). Three layers of mesh were on each needle wheel and zip tied tight (tightened with a pair of pliers).

oxxreef40.jpg

Final Look before going back in pump

oxxreef41.jpg

Haven't tested yet, hopefully will have a chance in the next couple of weeks.

GOOD JOB!!!!

So much done but so much to still do, huh?? :) :)

Keep it up!

I still have plumbing to finish and lights to go in.

Then I will probably have to cycle it for at least a month to get rid of all the die off (some of the rock and sand were in buckets outside during the snowfall (but at least I found it killed off some nasty worms, LOL, one was at least 8" in length).

I really like how the rockwork turned out though, I have much more room for the corals to grow "up" and for the fish to swim. I also gave myself more sand room in front for clams and other items that prefer sand. Overall I am very satisified, I planned the remake of this tank very well, it should payoff heavily in the future.

Very nice. I have my eye on this; I want to see how it all develops.

Thanks. It will take a few months before things really start to look good, but I think it will be awesome come summer time, and just in time to test my 1HP PCI Chiller!

wow that looks like the finished product will be amazing. Looks very good so far.

Thanks. I learned "A LOT" from the previous setup, definitely had written down some do's and don'ts. I also really like the fact that my father is out of the picture on this now (just the tank, not in life, LOL) and I can make whatever decisions I want for the better of the tank without checking with him (since the tank was previously in his house). I also have an amazing wife that (as long as I take her on vacations every year) allows me to spend the money I need on new parts (within reason).

Anyway, much more goodies to come. And I am always happy to hear everyones feedback.

I also have an amazing wife that (as long as I take her on vacations every year) allows me to spend the money I need on new parts (within reason).

I would say amazing, she is buffing your tank! Are you just using sandpaper or a drill to do it?

I would say amazing' date=' she is buffing your tank! Are you just using sandpaper or a drill to do it?[/quote']

I used a drill. Didn't get rid of all the scratches, but it looks better than it did.

finally I've been waiting to see your monster return.....dont know why but I thought that you were going bigger, it all looks great love the built in look. cant wait to see your new babies.

I wish I could go bigger, but it just happens that the spot I have available fits the tank I have perfectly, so I am sticking with it. Maybe in the future I can either add on to my house or move, LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got plumbing finished and everything in place.

Got water in the tank this weekend and ended up using 12 bags of salt! Each bag was rated for 50 gallons, so I used enough for 600 gallons. I hope that is enough, but I can't exactly figure out how many gallons are in the system right now (the system can handle 875 gallons). Thankfully when you have a tank this big you buy in bulk and I had 14 bags of salt left, guess I will have to buy more again soon.

Unfortunately when filling the tank I found that everything was level EXCEPT for the back right corner which ended up being 3/8" short! Thankfully my contactor is still working on the house and he was able to jack up the tank and slip in metal shims to level everything off.

Also, to handle more water flow I cut off every other tooth on both of my overflows and have installed "gutter guard" to keep fish and inverts from getting sucked over, it looks really nice and I can handle a ton of flow now.

I found out that one of my 800 watt heaters has died, so I had to order another one, so for the time being the tank temperature is going up very slowly. I will hopefully have the chiller hooked up soon (needs power outside) and it has a 1,000 watt heater that will help. And once my new heater gets in I will have 2,600 watts of heating power. Most likely though when the lights are going full blast I won't be depending on the heaters hardly at all and mostly will be chilling the water to keep it at 78-80 degrees.

I recently glued two of my Tunze Powerheads to their magnets with aquarium sealant. This allows the flow to go straight across the tank instead of down at an angle (unfortunately the connector for the tunze to the magnet isn't tight and allows the pump to dip slightly). But, I don't know why, the magnets seemed to lose some of the grip power and I ended up getting another magnet that goes between the one inside and outside and it holds like a champ.

I still have some things to work on, but at least the tank is cycling and I am that much closer to restocking my tank.

Put up some cabinets in the fish room for organization.

oxxreef50.jpg

Got the U.V.'s installed on the wall (114 watts)

oxxreef51.jpg

AATOC Top off controllers (the best available). I connect city water directly to these, as water evaporates these are triggered and allow water through to the RODI units and into the tank to replace evaporated water. I really don't know what I would do without these. One runs the fillup on the "refill tank" (75 gallon tank I use to do my water changes), and the other keeps the level on the Sump at the optimum level (after running through a Kalk system). They have a normal sensor and an emergency sensor just in case the first one dies.

oxxreef52.jpg

Water RODI units

oxxreef53.jpg

Finally got the new neck and head for my Reeflo Skimmer, it really looks like a monster now. Can't wait till the salt in the tank is correct and I can kick it on.

oxxreef54.jpg

Tank filling with water

oxxreef55.jpg

Refugium filling with water

oxxreef56.jpg

New Work Sink

oxxreef57.jpg

Brand new Oregon Scientific weather monitor. It monitors Outdoor temp/humidity, Downstairs temp/humidity, Upstairs temp/humidity, Aquarium Lights area temp/humidity, and the actual temperature of the aquarium water. It displays all these on one display that I have put on my computer desk (where I spend most of my time). This way I can know immediately if there is an issue, which is very important to me. You can see the floating temp sensor in the pic of the refugium above. I think it cost something like $90 or so.

oxxreef58.jpg

More updates in the future.

nice. good to see it going back up. i look forward to seeing the tank cycle up and seeing it with corals in it. i never had the chance to see your tank before you took it down' date=' but this time i will make sure i do.[/quote']

If I can work it out with the wife I am sure I will eventually host a meeting and/or bbq.

I am hoping by the end of February I can get some frags and/or bigger corals from some people on this forum.