How to rehome livestock?

trahelyk

It's time for me to get out of the hobby, and my first priority is making sure my critters go to good homes. It would be nice to recover some of the money I spent on them, that's a distant second to the primary concern about their welfare. What do you suppose is the best way to find them all new homes? Should I post here in the for sale forum and sell them one critter at a time? Or should I try to sell them as a lot? Should I try to sell them on consignment at a LFS? 

I would say anyone on the forum who would be willing to take them would ensure they went to a good home, everyone on here loves the hobby and seems to take good care of there critters. As for if to sell as a set or individually I would say list out what you have and do individual sales, not many people I know of looking for an aquariums worth of fish all at once, and I dont know if any of the LFS's do consignment for fish. 

You can offer 2 options give a discount for the entire lot but in all reality most of us have tanks up and running and cant just add them all or willing to set up a new tank just for them without there being other considerations and issues but you never know. The other option is to list them all individually with the amount you are looking for.

I would post them here before an LFS, as you have a better chance of getting an experienced hobbyist that knows what they are doing and will provide an adequate home for them, where as you sell it to an LFS and little suzy got her 1st biocube and want's a Dory to throw in there, the LFS will have no quarrels in sending the fish home with her.

You don’t have the post count technically to post in the classifieds but in cases of the best interest of livestock we have made exceptions.

You will likely recoup more money selling individually. 

Let me know if you want to go the classified route and I will run it by the board.

Yes i agree this site is more on the lines of most everyone on here has seen one another at some point in the hobby alot of good reefers here most have amazing tanks and i would feel comfortable selling or trading with anyone on here, i myself are always after critters and coral 😁

1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

You don’t have the post count technically to post in the classifieds but in cases of the best interest of livestock we have made exceptions.

You will likely recoup more money selling individually. 

Let me know if you want to go the classified route and I will run it by the board.

Yeah - that would make sense in a case like this as it would definitely be in the best interest of the livestock.  

Also agree that you would have better luck rehoming them individually

• Like 1

Thanks--I think it would be really helpful if I could get a waiver to post to the classified board. I hadn't considered how posting the livestock here would give my little friends a better shot at going to stable homes, compared to sending them to a LFS, but that thought makes lots of sense. I'm glad I asked. 

Edited by trahelyk

1 hour ago, trahelyk said:

Thanks--I think it would be really helpful if I could get a waiver to post to the classified board. I hadn't considered how posting the livestock here would give my little friends a better shot at going to stable homes, compared to sending them to a LFS, but that thought makes lots of sense. I'm glad I asked. 

Okay I will message the board. It’s always nice to see people view their fish and coral as pets and not things !

• Like 1

Oh yeah, they are definitely pets. I like to think that most of us who make it more than a few years in the hobby grow attached to our fishes. Over time you can really see how much personality they have and see signs of real intelligence. It's especially endearing when they start eating out of your fingers. 

TBH one reason I was hoping to sell them all at once is so I don't have to go through the heartbreak over and over as I say goodbye to them one at a time. But of course I prioritize their welfare over my heartbreak. ;)

I'm particularly going to dread saying goodbye to my lawnmower and my mandarin. The ones with aaaaaalllll that personality. *snif*