Dino issue...

Sakky

Have been battling dino for the past couple months and would love some suggestions.  I have a 29 gallon biocube with an intank media basket (purigen and chemipure blue on 2nd and 3rd shelf) and intank chaeto fuge basket in 2nd chamber.  I have quite a few zoas, a rock flower anemone, so coral is not very diverse.  I know changing the light schedule to actually turning off the lights for 3 days are options as well as promoting competitive algae to fight for nutrients are some answers.  Any specific regimens that have been successful would be appreciated :)

I battled Dino’s for almost a year and I think they are finally gone. The biggest thing that worked for me was removing the sand bed. I also let algae go crazy in my tank and started bring alk up a bit by putting kalkwasser in with my ato but, I would say the 3 methods combined is what finally killed them but sand bed removal showed the biggest improvement. If you decide to use kalkwasser don’t get sloppy with it like me... I accidentally pumped some of the sludge into tank and nuked most my sps and chalices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, rbeyer80 said:

I battled Dino’s for almost a year and I think they are finally gone. The biggest thing that worked for me was removing the sand bed. I also let algae go crazy in my tank and started bring alk up a bit by putting kalkwasser in with my ato but, I would say the 3 methods combined is what finally killed them but sand bed removal showed the biggest improvement. If you decide to use kalkwasser don’t get sloppy with it like me... I accidentally pumped some of the sludge into tank and nuked most my sps and chalices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbeyer points fact to the biggest detritus sink in the tank (The sandbed) Controlling excess nutrients in an AIO is a lot more difficult than when having a sump and a Skimmer. So I would definitely agree in removing sand bed, also as he stated raising alk is another step, another thing you might want to consider is getting a canister filter filled with floss or sponges , set up on the tank and begin blowing out the back chambers, rocks and any plausible surface of the tank in an effort to get all the crap suspended in the water column so the filter can suck it all out, when done pull it off and clean it out.

I fought Dino's for over a year in an AIO and I personally gave up, my time was worth more and thinking back I wish I would have saved that year of working on the same issue, broke down and rebuilt. That would have been 12 more months towards a more healthy reef tank with  growth I will never get back. Then again with 12 months of Dino you learn to battle nutrients like a Boss! Though i personally would have preferred to have practiced better quarantine methods and remembered a good looking tank opposed to what i was left with :)

Good Luck!

• Like 2

What are you using for top off water?  I had the brown sand blues for a while too. I changed the filters in my RO/DI setup and after a few weeks the Dino’s on the sand cleared up. I think the crappy filters that came with my setup were the cause of most of my algae issues. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input.  I have not heard that raising the alk will help, so I will try that.  By the end of summer, I hope to have a Red Sea peninsula tank starting.  So starting over is not something I want to do at this point (I don't even want to remove the sand).  This is my first tank, so I knew I would run into problems.  Good way to learn.  Anyway, gonna try all your suggestions and see where it goes.  Ill keep this updated!