Back at it... RSR 170 to 350 to WB 190.5

Krux

• 3 weeks later...

Roller coaster!

After fading colors and a couple of bouts with STN and some dramatic fish losses, I caved and sent of for ICP testing.  Everything came back as anticipated aside from low iodine and LETHAL levels of Tin.  Looking at symptoms that have been plaguing the tank for the last 4 months heavy metal poisoning pretty much lined up perfectly.  I don't think the wife has noticed the mysteriously missing tank inhabitants...

After a few weeks of water changes I have another test en route, looking to see if removing all of my equipment from the tank and giving everything a good cleaning and lubrication coupled with a little bit of time will show higher or lower tin levels.  Since other metals were not elevated, this isn't due to rusting equipment... the only thing left at this point would be my water supply and an rodi system not removing everything.  If numbers aren't down and ICP shows it is in the water supply I either need to add a second DI stage, or look at re-piping the house (1960s black pipe everywhere, that's the only other thing I can figure).

Cuprisorb is supposed to remove tin, but I would like to not have to rely on that forever.

Lost the blue matrix and the yellow carol, gained this new deep water piece.  Starting to see some nice growth on my red devil, green blob is now a combination of purple and aquamarine, tort is encrusting nicely, and the anacrapora is absolutely exploding so everything must not be as sensitive to the metal issue.  

I have had to pass over on a few things that were high on my priority list while the water quality issue gets figured out, hopefully I can get it sorted out quickly, like by May 5th!

IMG_6821.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 years later...

Getting ready to leave town for a few weeks, dropping a few photos here to either remember what I've lost or to compare to what that much time with no hands in the tank will do!  Apologies for the potato shots on a couple of these... also probably shouldn't have fed the corals just before deciding to take pics.

IMG_2251.JPGIMG_2253.JPGIMG_2256.JPGIMG_2257.JPGIMG_2260.JPGIMG_2262.JPGIMG_2241.JPGIMG_2243.JPGIMG_2244.JPGIMG_2246.JPGIMG_2247.JPGIMG_2248.JPGIMG_2249.JPGIMG_2250.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 4:46 PM, CuttleFishandCoral said:

That granny looks sweet. Let me know if you want me and my team to swing by. 

Thanks Jeff.  Polyps continue to get brighter in color, hard to photograph.  Here it is today.

92583C2B-AF4F-4B38-B734-BC805C780D27.jpeg

Edited by Krux
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Finally feeling comfortable reintroducing corals after a total loss from dinos last summer.  Got a nice dw pack in from BC added on to this year's grow out.

Personal goal: half of these to remain alive for 30 days!

IMG_4024.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have been real bad at updating this thread, sort of totally missed a couple years of having upgraded to a Red Sea 350.  Whoops.

Getting ready for the next step, moving up again to a Waterbox 190.5 in the next week or two.  I had a small failure in my Dastaco Calcium reactor that slowly leaked across the floor, into the wall, and saturated the tank stand.  I figure it was going for at least a week until the water moved across the carpet under the tank 8 to 10 feet away where I finally stepped in the puddle.

Anyway, with the fiberboard construction of the tank stand now a liability, the aluminum stands on the new Infinia line made sense, Jeff helped me pick out the right size, Pete distracted my wife while we discussed the details, and it is now in Portland.

As is customary for me, just as things are happy it is time to throw a wrench into the ecosystem, so I took a couple pictures of my overflowing frag racks waiting for the new real estate, their volume is more than doubling.  Please enjoy and wish us luck as we start a brand new system just before leaving for vacation!  

Not sure what will migrate over from the current system, I am playing with color and texture balance (you are a horrible influence @steveweast) and have been slowly getting rid of some stuff that has been around for a few years as they won’t work with the new aesthetic.  Once I am happy with placement of new and old I will do some wider shots to see if I can get some growth progress shots over the coming months-years.  My plan is to anger my wife by marking the carpet with sharpie to allow me to regularly align the tripod legs for consistent images over time.  Many nights of couch sleeping in my future I am afraid.

Thanks for those of you who are following along and I can’t thank Jeff, Pete, and crew enough for helping us dig out of this water damage kerfuffle.

IMG_6223.jpeg

IMG_6222.jpeg

IMG_6221.jpeg

IMG_6220.png

Edited by Krux
Typos
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lexinverts said:

Corals look great!

Full tank shot, please! 😃

Oh dear, I was hoping nobody would ask… I have been ripping it apart and getting rid of colonies for a couple months, but, um, here it is?  Sort of like that moment when you moved out of your college apartment and were trying to decide if it was worth just giving up the cleaning deposit…

IMG_5931.jpeg

I am anticipating a whole new aquascape so the things that are small enough have all been popped off the rocks for transplanting and I have a bit of a coraline issue going…

Edited by Krux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Krux said:

Oh dear, I was hoping nobody would ask… I have been ripping it apart and getting rid of colonies for a couple months, but, um, here it is?  Sort of like that moment when you moved out of your college apartment and were trying to decide if it was worth just giving up the cleaning deposit…

IMG_5931.jpeg

Lots of room for growth!

We did some brainstorming yesterday… with a vacation coming up this month, the initial plan to just do a direct transfer using existing rock and water was put on hold in favor of a natural cycle for a bit.

It was decided that the carpet needed to be cut out so the tank could be properly levelled, we expected to find slab underneath but there was some decent flooring underneath which was an added bonus, no need to paint the concrete.

Put in 100lbs of Fiji pink, ordered 50 lbs of TBS live sand, and threw in a 1k watt heater, a gyre, and let it rip.

I probably won’t see any more material changes until January other than putting the doors on and maybe some mounting of power bricks etc.

IMG_6242.jpeg

Edited by Krux
  • Like 1

I have been in talks with a guy on R2R who has a very similar setup (though slightly larger) including the new Waterbox, a Clarisea Roller, and a Ecotech return pump.  Now that I have some time I am going to rework some of the plumbing!  I am a huge fan of spending way to much money on unions so it is easier to break everything down for maintenance and to allow for quick swapping to backup equipment in case of failure.

The fellow on the other board was kind enough to make me a diagram, if anyone is interested this is what I am going to shoot for:

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 10:14 AM, Krux said:

Many donuts and a dozen coffees later she is in place.

i try to describe how unforgiving my driveway and access to the basement are ahead of time, but my bevy of helpers were skeptical.

Thanks @CuttleFishandCoral to Jeff and Pete!

IMG_6240.jpeg

Looks great! Is that Water box? Which model?