Jump to content
shaywood

Red Sea Tanks - How It's Made

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

"low-iron Glass" My rear end lol

 

Also looks like there made in china :laugh: along with a few other companies that make aquariums.....................

 

Oh crap take the banners down it not a Red Sea video anymore :popcorn: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

"low-iron Glass" My rear end lol

What do you mean by this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, spectra said:

 

Also looks like there made in china :laugh: along with a few other companies that make aquariums.....................

 

Oh crap take the banners down it not a Red Sea video anymore :popcorn: 

Kind of the point I was trying to make with my Red Sea post awhile back, While I have absolutely no issues with the company myself I just don't get why people are so persuaded by the marketing when several other Aquarium manufactures have the same product. I was discussing distribution not to long ago and how that would have to be a pain in the [language filter] for any company to move the product. It would seem more feasible  to simply have your product manufactured by a company who does just that with other companies following suit and branding them on their way out the door much like the rest of the manufacturing industry works. CadLights was making the sleek rimless design prior to a red sea reefer coming available, the similarities are striking, leading me to believe they are possibly made in the same plant. Some may criticize quality of CadLights but a google search for "Red Sea Leaking" will fetch pages of results opposed to the latter. In my personal experience the tanks feel and look of the same quality, and your remark would explain that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under the impression almost all of these were made overseas in Asia. Still love the tanks! Best part of the video is the lady scraping the glass with a bare razor with bandages all over her fingers....lol. OSHA would love that!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, R-3 said:

I was under the impression almost all of these were made overseas in Asia. Still love the tanks! Best part of the video is the lady scraping the glass with a bare razor with bandages all over her fingers....lol. OSHA would love that!

 

There is no osha over there ;) they just get things done and if you lose a diget or two that's ok........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

What do you mean by this? 

The regular glass on the left

low iron on the right

starfireglass2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't claim it's low-iron.  They say it's 'ultra-clear', whatever that means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

They don't claim it's low-iron.  They say it's 'ultra-clear', whatever that means. 

Okay fair enough, I just think your paying premium for a tank it should be made with better glass in my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't really have any stake in it either way but upon comparison to what it would cost to put together everything you get (sump/plumbing/stand), their tanks are actually really competitive price-wise.  That was my experience with their bigger systems anyways.  Speaking for myself, I love the stands and the sump is awesome.  I don't think it was overpriced at all, frankly.  If you want low-iron glass though, definitely not the brand for you. 

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

They don't claim it's low-iron.  They say it's 'ultra-clear', whatever that means. 

UltraClear is simply a branded "Float" Glass,  Low Iron is the Same as "Float" Glass. Therefore UltraClear, Low Iron, Starfire all being "Float" Glasses are essentially the same, just depends on how they market it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exodus said:

UltraClear is simply a branded "Float" Glass,  Low Iron is the Same as "Float" Glass. Therefore UltraClear, Low Iron, Starfire all being "Float" Glasses are essentially the same, just depends on how they market it.

This is not true. Float glass has to do with the process, not the content of the material. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

This is not true. Float glass has to do with the process, not the content of the material. 

Everything I have ever found in the past that refers to Float glass manufactures states they reduce the amount of Iron in the formula giving it a more transparent look opposed to the Greenish tint.  Like the picture mentioned above. While "Ultra Clear" may not necessarily be of the same formula as "Starphire" or manufactured by the same company, they are both transparent without a green tint which is evidence of a lower amount of Iron used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Exodus said:

Everything I have ever found in the past that refers to Float glass manufactures states they reduce the amount of Iron in the formula giving it a more transparent look opposed to the Greenish tint.  Like the picture mentioned above. While "Ultra Clear" may not necessarily be of the same formula as "Starphire" or manufactured by the same company, they are both transparent without a green tint which is evidence of a lower amount of Iron used.

All that green glass you see in tanks and house windows IS float glass. Low iron glasses are made using the float process, and this is a tiny fraction of the industry. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think red sea is big now because its all inclusive (for the most part). Tank, stand, sump, plumbing etc is pretty good for the price (and lights if you go that route). 

My only issue is the stands. I have a 425xl... not a big fan of the stands... but they are nicer than many other products available. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

All that green glass you see in tanks and house windows IS float glass. Low iron glasses are made using the float process, and this is a tiny fraction of the industry. 

I stand corrected on "Float" Glass as being a manufacturing process, Though the point I was simply trying to make is that starphire, ultra clear, and Low Iron are pretty much the same, a clear glass with low iron content.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dlinehan113 said:

I think red sea is big now because its all inclusive (for the most part). Tank, stand, sump, plumbing etc is pretty good for the price (and lights if you go that route). 

My only issue is the stands. I have a 425xl... not a big fan of the stands... but they are nicer than many other products available. 

Yes I love Red Sea because they are well made and easy to put together with simply a few twists of the hand and your tank is ready to go! No more ten trips to Home Depot because you forgot that one thing!

I agree about the stands but that’s pretty typical of most store bought tank stands. 

I regretted not getting a custom one made by Spectra with a wood skin from Brian!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

I regretted not getting a custom one made by Spectra with a wood skin from Brian!

Personally having the Skinned Stand Scott made, I will never look back :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Exodus said:

Personally having the Skinned Stand Scott made, I will never look back :)

He does top notch work but I got impatient and set the tank up immediately lol. You know how that goes!😀

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×