Hermit crabs or no?

YUP

According to the website ie. Google. It's a mix bag if hermits are good or bad. 

First, I would like to say thank you to all my experience reefer friends that I have meet and talked to through the years. You can always look at my tank build in 2012 and some of my post to see I have been around for a bit but not always active on forum or reefing. My tank has been set up since 2012 but through 4 tank moves. I've owned fish for over 20 yes and know a bit lol even if I can't seem to keep them alive all the time. 

So, I'm back! Maybe is my mild bipolar or the fact that my wife is pregnant and this is my nesting behavior lol... ladies??🤔 

So im done squirrelling and back to the question??

I'm leaning towards hermits being bad. Seems they harrase and eat crap you don't want. I'm going snails and my urchin, counch etc. For now on.

Edited by YUP
  • Like 1

Hi there! I remember you. I believe you had a smiley face as an avatar before.  Welcome back. Personally I don't like hermit crabs. They mainly help with detritus but like you said you can get buy with other options that are more useful. They do not eat algae and they would constantly steal food out of the anemone or other things I would target feed. 

A wise person once said claws and reefs do not mix well.  Having said that they are fun to watch in a tank and there are some cool ones such as the Halloween hermits but the  Conchs do as good a job as a clean up crew and also just as entertaining to watch but can knock stuff over.

I tend to surround myself with things that are useful and serve some sort of purpose which reminds me ... (are you interested in some Bengal cats I will make you a deal.. ;) )

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Hi there! I remember you. I believe you had a smiley face as an avatar before.  Welcome back. Personally I don't like hermit crabs. They mainly help with detritus but like you said you can get buy with other options that are more useful. They do not eat algae and they would constantly steal food out of the anemone or other things I would target feed. 

A wise person once said claws and reefs do not mix well.  Having said that they are fun to watch in a tank and there are some cool ones such as the Halloween hermits but the  Conchs do as good a job as a clean up crew and also just as entertaining to watch but can knock stuff over.

I tend to surround myself with things that are useful and serve some sort of purpose which reminds me ... (are you interested in some Bengal cats I will make you a deal.. ;) )

Lol yup! That was me with the smiley face. I agree I love those little hermits but they do bad things alot. I would like to see who is a defender of the crabs haha. I'm glad to see youre doing good ol Emerald. One day I will meet ya!

27 minutes ago, YUP said:

Lol yup! That was me with the smiley face. I agree I love those little hermits but they do bad things alot. I would like to see who is a defender of the crabs haha. I'm glad to see youre doing good ol Emerald. One day I will meet ya!

Well if you ever make it to a meeting I’m usually there !

I have hermits in my tank, 2 red legs and a blue leg as well as an electric blue hermit crab.   So far they have all been great for me, mine eat algea. Only complaint is me electric blue hermit crab likes to camp out on frag plugs cleaning them so the zoa ones stay closed longer than I would like. If you want my opinion on these guys I think most people put to many of them in a tank so some of them get starved and have to eat something.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Welcome back to the forum.

It really depends on what you need them for.  I am actually a big fan of hermits. They do a great job over rock work. I think it’s best to limit the amount you have depending on the amount of food you have for them. I had a couple rocks I swapped over into my frag tank  and they have picked them clean in less than a week. I think if you do a good mix of snails and crabs while keeping the crabs on the small side you will be happy. 

Edited by R-3
  • Like 1