Going Sockless

Well in my case it's floss less lol.  I am tired of changing the floss on my 20gal Nuvo so I have decided to not use it. I was not changing it every 2 days so it might of been holding some nitrates.  I have put a small power head in the very bottom of my chamber area so detritus won't build up there. We will see how things go.

Anybod else running sockless/flossless?

I don't do sock either. But lately have had issues with high nitrates, and finally realized it was all the detritus in the sump that I haven't been paying attention because of a huge carpet of chaeto over it.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, katarian said:

I don't do sock either. But lately have had issues with high nitrates, and finally realized it was all the detritus in the sump that I haven't been paying attention because of a huge carpet of chaeto over it.

Surprised the cheato is not absorbing it all 

• Like 1

Surprised the cheato is not absorbing it all 
I have had issues with lighting in the sump lately. The only bulb that does the job doesn't last very long because of moisture. Rest of the lights (even a grow led bulb) hasn't worked. Thinking about just getting the bulb that works.

I am sockless.  Every time I run them, eventually I forgot/postpone changing them and nutrients build up.

0 nitrates every time I test and I sadly never vacuum the detritus.  Been considering dosing nitrates even.

I do have garbage bags full of chaeto though, its nuts.  Two cheap used D120s at 100% over a small area, an area the size of 2 D120s.  Strong light really grows chaeto for me...

• Like 1

Been sockless for about a year now. I’ve cleaned the sump once. I don’t test nitrates but everyone in the tank seems very happy.  Minimal algae growth on the glass none anywhere else.  Haven’t replaced my chaeto since the fluconazol killed my last batch right before I went sockless. 

I used to use 6700k cfl’s which worked excellent but I can’t find them anywhere. If you put a daylight and a 2700k together you should be good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Interesting. I'll give it a shot :)

I used to hate dealing with socks (felt type). I used to do the exchange at OIAB to avoid cleaning myself, that was both a good and bad experience as some traded out weren’t as nice/clean as the ones I traded in 😑

My current tank uses a Skimz sump, which has their own size of 4” sock, so you have to buy theirs. At first I was annoyed but after being forced into the “mesh” style of sock, I love them! I pull them out, go to the kitchen sink, and rinse them with the sprayer and hot water. You can rub the sides together and they get really clean, really easily. I usually do this 4-5 times, then do a more through clean and put a new set through the cycle. Sump is nice and clean, minimal maintenance, I’m happy, corals look great (admittedly not a big tester either)! No more bleach, power washing, gnar beef socks in the washing machine , etc!

4 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I used to hate dealing with socks (felt type). I used to do the exchange at OIAB to avoid cleaning myself, that was both a good and bad experience as some traded out weren’t as nice/clean as the ones I traded in 😑

My current tank uses a Skimz sump, which has their own size of 4” sock, so you have to buy theirs. At first I was annoyed but after being forced into the “mesh” style of sock, I love them! I pull them out, go to the kitchen sink, and rinse them with the sprayer and hot water. You can rub the sides together and they get really clean, really easily. I usually do this 4-5 times, then do a more through clean and put a new set through the cycle. Sump is nice and clean, minimal maintenance, I’m happy, corals look great (admittedly not a big tester either)! No more bleach, power washing, gnar beef socks in the washing machine , etc!

Interesting, mesh socks eh?  Ya, that was the hassle, cleaning them.  Low maintenance sounds nice.

The mesh socks are the bomb!! It literally takes me 2-3 minutes to clean four of them. I did a bulk purchase of the 4" 100 micron ones a while back.

They clog faster for sure but they also catch almost everything.

I sold a bunch to R3, he may have some left.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

The mesh socks are the bomb!! It literally takes me 2-3 minutes to clean four of them. I did a bulk purchase of the 4" 100 micron ones a while back.

They clog faster for sure but they also catch almost everything.

I sold a bunch to R3, he may have some left.

Yeah I got a bunch left! Never tried selling them lol. 

I’d be interested in trying a couple if you have extras, I bought some 200 micron mesh socks off of amazon but they don’t seem to filter like 200 micron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
the word on the street is the 200 seem more coarse than there felt conterparts. The flip side, the 100s seem finer than the felt ones. Mine start clogging every 2-3 days but I have a LOT of flow through my sump..