New project, plumbing question.

I've been slowly gathering supplies for my next build. I think I have it all planned out, but I'd love some opinions. 

It's going to be two separate nano tanks (shocking, I know) plumbed together into a shared sump. Both tanks are around 6 gallons, and one will sit above, and slightly behind the other one. 

My question is about plumbing them. Should I 

1- plumb a fork into the return pump, giving each tank its own return. Then also plumb a drain from each tank into the sump.

2- only run the return line to the top tank, then drain that one into the bottom tank, then drain the bottom tank into the sump.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm sure there's downsides and benefits either way. 

Thanks

Xoxo

I plan on just plumbing in a fork on my return when I tie my frag tank to my system. I thought about running the main drain of my Herbie drain into the frag tank. Then I realized even with a full siphon drain, my overflow pushes microbubbles through. From what I've got drawn up, it seems it will be easier to control the drains, and returns on each tank, and will have minimal visible plumbing. 

My DT and frag tank are plumbed like option 1.  Both with separate returns, both to sump. 

If you are going to drain tank to tank, you probably want a herbie or bean animal though in the top tank.  That is quite a few drains and some bubbles going into tank 2.  Might be easier to go back to sump.

Hmmm. Not exactly the solid consensus I was hoping for. 

In case it changes anything, I'm not overly concerned with flow. This is just going to be softies and macro algae. I'm planning for a frog fish in one tank, and a goby/pistol shrimp pair in the other. 

I like the idea of the second option because I could run the "return" line lower in the tank without having to worry about it draining any extra water when the pump shuts off. I don't want to load the bottom tank with bubbles though. It's going to be a simple single drain from the top tank.