ISO 24w t5 bulbs

Taylorhardy1

Wanting to do some experimenting with some t5 hybrid fixtures, but don't really want to drop $220 on enough new bulbs to test the ideas. Figured I'd see if anyone here has any bulbs laying around they aren't using. Old or new, doesn't matter as long as they still illuminate.

46 minutes ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

Wanting to do some experimenting with some t5 hybrid fixtures, but don't really want to drop $220 on enough new bulbs to test the ideas. Figured I'd see if anyone here has any bulbs laying around they aren't using. Old or new, doesn't matter as long as they still illuminate.

What length do you need Taylor?  I think I have some 36 inch lying around.

59 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

What ones are you wanting to try? 

Ideally ati, Up to 6-8 blue+, 1-2 coral+, and 1-2 purple+. Not sure how many bulbs I'm gonna be able to supplement my radions with, and still get a bit of shimmer. As well as how much par I'll be putting out. Not sure if I'll even be able to run more than 6, but hoping to be able to fit more, and achieve what I'm hoping for. 

2 hours ago, xmas_one said:

FWIW, I’m running a 4x24 ATI with two nanobox 13ups, the leds still shimmer real nice. That’s like a ratio of 2 watts t5 to 1 watt led. I think a radion runs like 170w, so you would need more than like 14 24w t5s to drown out the shimmer. 

My worry is par being a bit too intense. Ive got 12 individual reflectors, so I worry that when I get 8-10 mounted up I'll end up having to turn the leds down so much I lose the effects from the led. I already ordered 12 bulbs, so worst case I have replacements on hand. But I still would be curious to test out par comparisons, and visual appeal options if anyone's got anything laying around before the new ones get here. I'd be happy to toss whoever a few frags, or some cash to let me borrow or recycle some old bulbs! 

15 hours ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

My worry is par being a bit too intense. Ive got 12 individual reflectors, so I worry that when I get 8-10 mounted up I'll end up having to turn the leds down so much I lose the effects from the led. I already ordered 12 bulbs, so worst case I have replacements on hand. But I still would be curious to test out par comparisons, and visual appeal options if anyone's got anything laying around before the new ones get here. I'd be happy to toss whoever a few frags, or some cash to let me borrow or recycle some old bulbs! 

Something to keep in mind is ATI ballasts overdrive their lights and cool them with fans to get the par they get out of them and don’t forget the ultra shiny reflectors they use. 

4 hours ago, River City Corals said:

Something to keep in mind is ATI ballasts overdrive their lights and cool them with fans to get the par they get out of them and don’t forget the ultra shiny reflectors they use. 

I got the reflectors from a 6 bulb 48" ati fixture with a bad ballast. Cut the reflectors in half, and fitted them to some end caps. Ive got a few ballasts and controllers laying around from t5 retro kits, and other fixtures so I'm just gonna end up using what gives me the best results. New bulbs should be here by the end of the week.