Tiny Tank, Tiny Budget Contest

Here we go!

The thing that got me back into this hobby 6 years ago was a contest very similar to this one. I didn't participate, but I loved following the builds and seeing what was possible in small tanks. The goal of this is to see how creative people can get with their builds. It's really fun to take something that was definitely not designed to be used as a reef tank, and figuring out how to make it work. 

I'm only going to put 2 strict rules on this:

1- Total volume must stay under 5 gallons. This is the total system volume. No, plumbing a .5 gallon cube into your established 10,000 gallon system doesn't count. 

2- The budget is 100$ or less for the equipment. This is going to force you to get creative. You can use anything you already have on hand, or borrow from a friend who hoards supplies. 

- Other than that, everything is fair game. The budget applies to equipment only. If you want to keep a 1000$ trachy in your Cuisinart mixer reef, you win. 

If you want to play, all you need to do is make your first post by next Saturday (3/17). Your first post simply needs to be an equipment list, along with pictures and a cost breakdown. After that, you'll just have to post a tank update, with a full tank shot, every two weeks. So, posts are due by 5pm on 3/17, 3/31, 4/14, 4/28, 5/12, and 5/26. If you miss any of these, you'll be publicly shamed, and removed from the contest. The final posts will be due on June 2 at 5pm. I'll post the final pictures and throw it out there for the community to vote on. 

I want to start by giving a huge thank you to Saltwater Harmony (Holly), and Cuttle Fish and Corals (Jeff), who have paired up to donate a pico appropriate prize for the winner. The winner will get a pre-quarantined yasha goby and pistol shrimp pair. 

Finally, I'm going to be playing along, but I want everyone to know that I'm not going to be in the running for the actual contest. Weird pico tanks are kind of my jam and I really just want to help everybody else see how much fun these can be. If you have any questions or need advice, don't hesitate to pm me. Also, this is my first attempt at running a contest, so go easy on me. 

Edited by Jack-the-reefer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

This ought to be fun! 

I have one question on the equipment of under 100$.  Would equipment be considered materials? Or is equipment lighting filtration heater tank? 

Curious as once you posted last week on entertaining this...I had my plan and we’ll I build my tank already 😂 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flash21 said:

This ought to be fun! 

I have one question on the equipment of under 100$.  Would equipment be considered materials? Or is equipment lighting filtration heater tank? 

Curious as once you posted last week on entertaining this...I had my plan and we’ll I build my tank already 😂 

Equipment is just the tank, lighting, heater, filter. 

Anything that goes in the tank (livestock, rock, sand, etc.) isn't counted in the budget. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

Just to confirm...we can still plumb as long as total water volume does not exceed 5gal, yeah? (ex: 3gal dt & 2gal sump)

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! emoji481.png

I really want to see this!  What do you have in mind Dodge?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

I was thinking, maybe a 10gal or 5gal tank, section it off. Kinda like an 5gal AIO, so to speak. Idk...Just brainstorming

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! emoji481.png

Ahh... that makes sense.  When you said plumbing, I thought it implied separate "tanks" - which I would really be interested in seeing how that might work on this scale.  Am excited to see what people come up with - I know Jack always seems to have interesting ideas bouncing around :)

• Like 1

This is awesome that you are doing this Jack! Props to Holly and Cuttlefish for donating a prize too!! I would so do this but I have my heart set on a Nuvo 10. The January/Feb Coral magazine has a great write up on picos if anyone wants to borrow it from me. Be warned the stupid cats knocked my glass of water over (again 🙄) so it’s a little water damaged but ... you get 2 free Bengal cats for your trouble . :joking:

(Shhhhh don’t tell Sirena...)

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

This is awesome that you are doing this Jack! Props to Holly and Cuttlefish for donating a prize too!! I would so do this but I have my heart set on a Nuvo 10. The January/Feb Coral magazine has a great write up on picos if anyone wants to borrow it from me. Be warned the stupid cats knocked my glass of water over (again 🙄) so it’s a little water damaged but ... you get 2 free Bengal cats for your trouble . :joking:

(Shhhhh don’t tell Sirena...)

Darcy says she would be happy to take those cats... I mean that magazine :D

• Like 1

Does cost of tank count towards the equipment cost?  Been toying the idea of picking up a Fluval Evo 5 for my night stand for a while and this may be a good excuse [emoji6].

From what ive heard the tank is part of the equipment cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, here is my build,

It's a 3.7 gallon custom built drop-off reef.

Equipment:

1) Custom tank and Birch stand- I had the clear acrylic and I had to buy the black- $15.75 and I had the Birch.

2) Marine-land maxi-jet 1200 - $27.99

3) Aqueon 7.5watt heater - $10.99

4) Evergrow led light - Borrowed from friend.

Filtration:

1) Bag of chemi-pure blue - Had on hand

Grand Total $54.73

Here is a video of it when I was testing with fresh water.

9c92800b423b9908e1ae458a614a9cb4.jpgfc15e7a4dbb0232d8add448d7bfa1d6c.jpga00993adc3791488496f33e323e40ac0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 9